-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just learned what this tool is used for. It's been sitting in a toolbox owned by my long deceased carpenter grandfather and I could never figure out what it is. Until now when I stumbled upon a youtube video featuring this tool. When squeezing the handle a small piston pushes against a stop. Any guesses?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A rivet setter of some type ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It's a saw setting tool- - - - -bends the teeth to the right angle to control the width of the kerf after filing to sharpen them.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Rib spreaders….😀

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
It's a saw setting tool- - - - -bends the teeth to the right angle to control the width of the kerf after filing to sharpen them.

^^^ this

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Legit question: Wouldn't you want to set teeth first and sharpen them after?

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959

^^^ this

Yep, For hand saw. Is there a long clamp type, device for holding the saw blade for sharpening too?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got one of those things, but I didn't know what it was. Never too old to learn!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
File the teeth first, then set each one to the same offset. A handsaw that's not set properly doesn't cut a straight line. Crosscut saws have a different tooth shape and set angle than rip saws.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You guys got it! Saw setter. The video I watched the guy hammered all the saw teeth flat, sharpened the teeth, and then reset the teeth to the desired angle.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Morewood
You guys got it! Saw setter. The video I watched the guy hammered all the saw teeth flat, sharpened the teeth, and then reset the teeth to the desired angle.
Cool! I was thinking you had to start from a point of uniformity. Didn't know about the "hammer it flat" first step. Never too old to learn something.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
That's why some of the best hand forged knives started out as saw blades- - - - -the quality of the alloy is incredible. Hard enough to take and hold an edge, but flexible enough not to break under stress.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yeah it's a Kerf setting tool for saws. My grandpa had one on his workbench that us kids would play with.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I wouldn't say it would set them to the right angle. It's pretty easy to squeeze a bit to hard and break your freshly sharpened tooth right off... probably some triangle files there close at hand.
I learned all this on a boat project. Had a big slab of walnut I wanted to use for a transom. Wanted to split it and then sandwich some plywood for strength. Glue it all back and cap the top and it would still look like 1 huge slab. Couldn't find a bandsaw big enough to split it so I ordered a big ass hand saw off ebay, filed the teeth flat, put 9 TPI and set them. Took me a hell of a lot longer to get the saw right than to cut the board. I think it was like 9 minutes of sawing, but I was out to prove a point.
Then I glued 1 side upside down of the other... so to a keen eye it was all for nought.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mrchongo
I was thinking you had to start from a point of uniformity. Didn't know about the "hammer it flat" first step.

Even without the "hammer" step, the adjustment on the tool pushes each tooth the same distance away from the body of the saw. Sharpening reduces the set somewhat, and the tool is adjusted to push each tooth the same distance from the anvil when the handle is squeezed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Learn something everyday.
I've got one hanging on the antique wall in the barn. Often have wondered what it was for.
Thanks Morewood!

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Can it be used to sharpen a chain saw?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
now i kmow what ive got

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been looking for one of those if you're interested in parting with it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 2UP, 264mag, 338rcm, 22 invisible), 1,626 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,972
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.