Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Biscuit

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Biscuit with honey and butter

Last edited by 1beaver_shooter; 04/22/23.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Buttermilk biscuit! Seven days a week, twice on Sunday! Mmm…… unless it’s to be eaten with south of the border cuisine then a corn tortilla works. Can’t only have one😳

Last edited by Farming; 04/22/23.
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Corn tortilla stuffed with something spicy. I can’t stand anything sweet these days.

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If I could only have one, I'd pick the tortilla. You can eat most anything with a tortilla. Biscuits are far less versatile.

Last edited by Verylargeboots; 04/23/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been eatin corn tortillas since before I was born.

Biscuit and twice on Sindays.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Can I get a flour tortilla?

If not, I'll take the corn.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Corn dodgers. In fact I'm amazed I've never seen a mix for them since they're essentially a corn muffin with no leavening (baking soda or baking powder).
You can fry them in a skillet with butter and/or bacon fat, or bake them. (I'd bet money Rooster Cogburn ate the bacon fried ones.)

Without the leavening they're a really rich corn flavor that I love, and very dense--which I also love. In fact, I put a baked version in The Wild Bowl: 100 soups stews and chilies. if you have that book, page 31. www.riflesandrecipes.com

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jcubed

If you’re gonna stuff it with turkey, Swiss and cream cheese and roll it in a pinwheel…..No.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
biscuit every time.

Sam......

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by jackmountain

If you’re gonna stuff it with turkey, Swiss and cream cheese and roll it in a pinwheel…..No.

Hahaha!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Leenie3freezers
Corn dodgers. In fact I'm amazed I've never seen a mix for them since they're essentially a corn muffin with no leavening (baking soda or baking powder).
You can fry them in a skillet with butter and/or bacon fat, or bake them. (I'd bet money Rooster Cogburn ate the bacon fried ones.)

Without the leavening they're a really rich corn flavor that I love, and very dense--which I also love. In fact, I put a baked version in The Wild Bowl: 100 soups stews and chilies. if you have that book, page 31. www.riflesandrecipes.com

This ^ ^ ^

Works for buscuit stuff and south of the border stuff.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Biscuit

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Biscuit hands down, if light and fluffy.

I need to try the corn dodger recipe though. Thanks Eileen. Now I have a jingle in my head about corn pone, but have no idea if they are similar.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pancakes

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

Are these similar to Johnny cakes?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Blasphemy!

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

This ^ ^ ^

Works for buscuit stuff and south of the border stuff.

I guess it depends on your recipe. Most Johnny Cakes I've seen are all corn meal, water, salt, and a bit of sugar for the batter, and boiling the corn meal and water first.
The corn dodger recipe I make does not need boiling ahead of time, so it's quicker to throw together. As for ingredients, it has mostly corn meal with a little flour. Both have about the same ratio of butter, but my corn dodgers also have milk and egg, so it's a richer flavor.
1 1/3 cup corn meal
2/3 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 large egg
3 tablespoons softened butter, in all
2 tablespoons oil/bacon grease for cooking
Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl (save 1 tablespoon of butter for the skillet, if baking the corn dodgers). Stir the wet stuff well, then combine the wet with the dry ingredients.
I prefer to bake these: Slide a 10 inch cast iron skillet in the oven, and preheat the oven to 425F. Mix your batter, and when the oven's at 425, carefully slide the skillet out, add the last tablespoon of butter and tip the skillet to coat the bottom of the pan, then pour the batter in.
Bake for 20 minutes, stick a toothpick in the center, and when it comes out dry it's done. Let the pan cool several minutes on a cookie rack, then place a cutting board on top, and flip the corn dodger onto the cutting board so the browned side is up.
Slice it up and enjoy.
To fry, preheat the skillet with a tablespoon or two of bacon grease (or oil/butter mix) and drop the dodgers in the pan 2-3 tablespoons for each one.

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Tortilla with something like this.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (01Foreman400, 1minute, 16penny, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,538
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.