Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Having eaten only one example of Texas and one of KC, Texas won hands down. Memphis style is better than either, and West Kentucky is the best of all.

What is west Kentucky style?

I lived in TN for almost ten years and never heard of west Kentucky style?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by MJones
I read all about you blow hard Texans and how you people think yor are the best .Your bbq sucks Mexican ass and looks like a cancer lung , Kc style is so much better .

He is just trying to stir us up, nobody is that dumb.

If it isn’t cooked with mesquite on a seasoned pit, it ain’t cshit! This is what a real pit looks like, built this not long ago.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

What does it cost nowadays to build one like that?

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I’d have to try all the styles many nights in a row to form a better opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Having eaten only one example of Texas and one of KC, Texas won hands down. Memphis style is better than either, and West Kentucky is the best of all.

Maybe you should have gotten out on TN more often....lol

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

OK, but please elaborate.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I read all about you blow hard Texans and how you people think yor are the best .Your bbq sucks Mexican ass and looks like a cancer lung , Kc style is so much better .

If it isn’t cooked with mesquite on a seasoned pit, it ain’t cshit! This is what a real pit looks like, built this not long ago.

It would take 1500.00 in plate, pipe, wheels, hinges etc, plus labor. It would kill 60 hours to build and paint it. It takes time to go gather up the parts. Anything metal has skyrocketed since the Commie 19 hit. A 4x8 sheet of 1/4 plate is 300.00. People won’t pay what it costs for a pit like that. They wouldn’t pay what the parts cost, much less labor too. Welding rods, grinding wheels are expensive now too.
I made them, did a football pot, was the only way I could make any money at all on building a pit. When they let us start working OT, quit the pit building business, much easier work.

Last edited by hanco; 04/24/23.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
That, too, is an acquired favorite. I first had that at a Coleman's BBQ in Mississippi. Wife and I were both surprised by it, but upon the first bite, liked it. The slaw adds a vinegary note plus crunch factor to a pulled pork sandwich, much like adding pickle to a burger. Since it's an add-on and not integral, you can have it or leave it out.
I’ve had it too and it really is not too bad. If I had 2 hickory smoked bbq pork sandwiches though, side by side, one with and one without, I would go for the one without. Gotta put a couple of dill pickle slices on it though with bbq sauce!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by GAGoober
It’s ALL GOOD! One exception: I think this started in Memphis, or somewhere around that area. Maybe Carolina? Not 100% sure. Putting coleslaw (AKA “ Slaw”) on a barbecue sandwich is like putting ketchup on a hotdog
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
That, too, is an acquired favorite. I first had that at a Coleman's BBQ in Mississippi. Wife and I were both surprised by it, but upon the first bite, liked it. The slaw adds a vinegary note plus crunch factor to a pulled pork sandwich, much like adding pickle to a burger. Since it's an add-on and not integral, you can have it or leave it out.

I first ran into that at Longway’s truckstop outside Fort Drum when I was working nearby. It was the only place open when we got off work at 3:00 AM. I like it. As Rocky suggests, it provides an interesting contrast to the pork (or whatever.) Whenever I’m smoking pork shoulders my wife makes up some coleslaw. She makes it a bit sweeter than I care for, but that’s okay, it’s her mother’s recipe and it makes everyone happy. I’m not some 75 year old, spoiled adolescent shi tbird who’s got to have everything my way.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It would take 1500.00 in plate, pipe, wheels, hinges etc, plus labor. It would kill 60 hours to build and paint it. Anything metal has skyrocketed since the Commie 19 hit. A 4x8 sheet of 1/4 plate is 300.00. People won’t pay what it costs for a pit like that. They wouldn’t pay what the parts cost, much less labor too.
I made them, did a football pot, was the only way I could make any money at all on building a pit.

Yeah, new steel material is cost prohibitive right now.

I got educated when I needed about 10 foot of 3/8" 4 inch square tubing. Called the metal place and all they had was 20' length, and the price was crazy.

I happened by a place I knew of that buys scrap metal. Told them what I was looking for, and asked if I could go look in their scrap pile. Found a brand new looking piece and got it, and a few other metal parts I could use, and they charged me what scrap plus a bit was... Think it cost me $30 bucks.

I go there first, now.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Homemade Slaw is a MUST Side Dish with BBQ. Just give it to me on the side. LOL

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Homemade Slaw is a MUST Side Dish with BBQ. Just give it to me on the side. LOL

Y'all can have that crap.

I'll take beans and potato salad... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

It would take 1500.00 in plate, pipe, wheels, hinges etc, plus labor. It would kill 60 hours to build and paint it. It takes time to go gather up the parts. Anything metal has skyrocketed since the Commie 19 hit. A 4x8 sheet of 1/4 plate is 300.00. People won’t pay what it costs for a pit like that. They wouldn’t pay what the parts cost, much less labor too. Welding rods, grinding wheels are expensive now too.
I made them, did a football pot, was the only way I could make any money at all on building a pit. When they let us start working OT, quit the pit building business, much easier work.
Thats what I was thinking, about 3-4 grand. I'm just going to weld a new firebox on mine.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer hickory for pork and mezquite for beef. I like to get the local BBQ when traveling. That said I have eaten more Kansas City and Texas style for my travelling.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant

Thats what I was thinking, about 3-4 grand. I'm just going to weld a new firebox on mine.

It would take 4000.00 to get me to build one like that now. Gasses for cutting torch and rods are out of sight too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pork shoulder cooked with hickory wood, usually about 16 hours, then pulled and served with sauce on the side if wanted. It’s pretty much the same thing you’d find all the way down towards Nashville and over into West Tennessee. Personally I like what’s cooked here locally better than anywhere else

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Texas roast beef sucks donkey balls. I've been smoking pork butts since the mid-1960's when I worked the pit at my grandparents' restaurant just north of Nashville. BBQ comes from a pig, not some Texas steer!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Texas roast beef sucks donkey balls. I've been smoking pork butts since the mid-1960's when I worked the pit at my grandparents' restaurant just north of Nashville. BBQ comes from a pig, not some Texas steer!

Me

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Pork shoulder cooked with hickory wood, usually about 16 hours, then pulled and served with sauce on the side if wanted. It’s pretty much the same thing you’d find all the way down towards Nashville and over into West Tennessee. Personally I like what’s cooked here locally better than anywhere else

Would Old Hickory BBQ from Owensboro count as an example?

I hit it every time I go to Whittaker's. I find the BBQ to be excellent, but the Banana Pudding is world-class: time stands still, and angels serenade me.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hey now East Texas can cook some pork ribs but the best beef BBQ comes from mostly central Texas. When you say brisket they mean Texas style.... All the Carolina BBQ I've been exposed to was pulled pork and reminded me of Sloppy Joes smothered in sweet sauce

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
If you enjoy it, go for it...

It ain't a competition.

They are all getting rich at the prices they charge. wink

That's for sure. We stopped at Blacks on the way home from visiting my son and paid $32/pound for brisket. It was darn good.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1234, 007FJ, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 16,967 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,188
Posts18,543,372
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.