Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Model 59 in the Grouse woods...I said, "We get one Bird and we will get you back to the truck and on the way home."

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Good picture

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Super-X has been a favorite of mine for a long time. I shot a monte carlo-stocked trap grade version for years. It's a soft shooter, and it absolutely ink-ball targets with that "special" full choke of theirs.

My most recent one is a 30" field grade (vent rib) version. I had Briley install screw-in chokes, and it's pretty effective at smacking 5-stand targets.

Great shooting shotguns!

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Your Super-X is in great shape, Troutnut!

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Very nice Troutnut, great shotgun! Probably don't need to say it, but, how old is the buffer in it? I've had a couple few of these over the years and always started out with them by replacing the buffer!
Exactly right... And have a spare or two on hand just in case...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Great guns! I shot many rounds of skeet and trap with them and they flat out smash clays.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bobski
Nice shotguns. GLWS

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by bobski
Nice shotguns. GLWS

Multiple World Championships make for an impressive resume....Would be interested in some history.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought this one new in September 1976 (made in 1974) from my local hardware store, plain modified barrel, took it back to APG MD with me and killed deer and pheasant hunting through the post rod & gun club. I replaced the bolt buffer about 12 years ago when it got brittle and broke to pieces - ordered the new one from Stu Wright.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Odessa
Bought this one new in September 1976 (made in 1974) from my local hardware store, plain modified barrel, took it back to APG MD with me and killed deer and pheasant hunting through the post rod & gun club. I replaced the bolt buffer about 12 years ago when it got brittle and broke to pieces - ordered the new one from Stu Wright.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice shotgun!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Since we are showing them....I was hoping they would hang around longer. So bought up my own parts supply.

Never shot the top trap, the second one down paid for itself a couple times. Have $300 in the third one down. The rest were pickups found here and there.

Last edited by battue; 04/26/23.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Since we are showing them....I was hoping they would hang around longer. So bought up my own parts supply.

Never shot the top trap, the second on down paid for itself a couple times. Have $300 in the third one down. The rest were pickups found here and there.

Very nice. Spare parts are never a bad idea. I have several complete 870 , 1100 and model 12 receivers

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Battue, nice looking Super X - 1's. Question, looks like the forend has a smaller diameter near the receiver on the top and bottom vs the middle shotgun? Was wondering if that was a change they made based on later vs earlier production?

The reason for my question is I find the forend quite fat on my early production field gun (probably second year) that came with a mod choke, ribbed barrel attached with a screw, no scroll engraving....similar to your bottom gun. I'd prefer a more slender Beretta 391/400 diameter forend, but that is likely due to having shot Berettas more.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Trap forends were wider and had the different checkering...as on the top and number 3. Fields are like the second and bottom example and the one Odessa posted. Although for some reason you do find field guns with the competition forend. Trap models also had the receiver engraving.

The third one down in my pic is a complete part mixed gun..Field receiver, trap forend and hacked field stock. Which is why i bought it cheap. However, the receiver and the rest of the mechanicals are like new.

The second one down is a DU Atlantic flyway edition, which I shot sporting clays with for a few years.

Error in the above...I placed the field stock on the third one down onto the Atlantic Flyway I used for sporting because it felt better. The Atlantic Flyway originally had the trap style stock. The third gun down originally came with a field stock and the butchered back stock.

Last edited by battue; 04/26/23.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Battue, thanks for the SX-1 education! I find the field stock has a touch too much drop for me for sporting clays. Wonder if the skeet version was straighter...but not "trap straight"?

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Sorry for jumping in a bit late here - the skeet version does indeed have a straighter stock than the field models, wears the same large foreend of the trap models.

Another big point is that all that I had, five total, had really nice triggers, better than any I’ve see on any autos, all series of SX-1 triggers. I also like the feel of the gun when firing, no noticeable “clang clang” just bang.

It is also quite true that they are too heavy for my liking as bird guns, weighing over 8#.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Target versions had wider forends and the trap stocks of course had raised combs but surprising most - including me as I earned my first registered targets, 25-50-75 straights (never managed a 100-straight) with it, was the skeet model. Supposedly the straighter stock forced the shooter to conciously keep his down when mounting the stock, thus helping prevent what we called "peaking" (lifting your eyes above the line of sight). Don't know about others but helped this old country boy out. I still have this gun but unfortunately sold my 28-in field model which I later had converted to 3-in. Killed my share of ducks with that one and sorely wish I still had it.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The straight stock gave one the same sight relationship no matter where they placed their head.

It had nothing to do with lifting your head or “peaking”. Which is a desire to see results before completing the shot.

Little different than looking up before the club makes contact with the golf ball.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Scheels in Sioux Falls had a couple on the rack last two times I was in there. Both field models, one was a PB, the other VR. I thought they were a bit out of line on the pricing, given how long they've been there, seems that others agree. I thought about haggling on the VR but decided I'd want a skeet model if I was to acquire one.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,570
Posts18,473,278
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.