Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was in Reno a couple weeks ago and a buddy had 8 pounds of this powder. Said he had never opened it and it was "20 years old", going off the top of his head. I gave him 200 for the 8 pound keg, but asked if I could open it first and look at it. He said, "go ahead, but it's been sealed this whole time". The powder looked great and smelled fine, so I paid the money. Not that I'm down too much on my powder supply, but anything I can do to keep from using up all my hard to find and expensive H4350, is a good thing. I've been using more Hunter and Big Game powder, as well as StaBall 6.5. The list goes on, but this old powder at $25/pound seemed like a pretty good deal, even though it was old.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Figured I'd check velocities through one of my 7mm rem mags. Grabbed the cheapest one I had and went to the range. I paid $500 for this rifle last year and later sold the scope that was on it for $125.00.

I loaded up what I referred to as a "minimum load", the Hornady manual said I should be getting 2800 fps with 60 grains of powder. The velocity was not quite what the book predicted:

It was actually 160 fps slower than what the book said. Of course the load manuals are just a guide, they are never spot on but a good guide. The book max load was 65.4 grains, so I loaded some at 65.5 grains. And the book said velocity should be 2,900 fps. Here's what I got:

Now, the velocities were more in line with what the book was suggesting. No pressure signs, so all was good, except for the weather/wind.

The wind was a PITA that day, as the new target backer boards were swinging. When they put them up, last Saturday, they were in a hurry and did not secure them at the bottom. I'm going to re-test that charge weight, because I think it will shoot better on a better day. The best shooting charge (out of 5) was this one, but didn't break 2,800 fps:

How many of you guys buying older powder that you run across? In these days and times when prices are pretty high, I'll do what I have to do, to stay stocked up. A buddy of mine that is just getting into hand loading told me he'd give me $30/pound for some of this because he needs powder that will work in his 300wm and 338 Lapua. I remember when I first started handloading, in the 90's, going through pounds of this powder in my 300wm and 338wm, but they discontinued it somewhere around 2010. I find it very comparable to the 4831's. What say you guys?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I bought 32 lbs when it first came out and used it in H4831 type applications with complete satisfaction. It was a very good powder. The last 8 lb jug went bad on me when there were 2-3 lbs left. Don't know why, but I was very disappointed to have to throw it out. Last year, I saw an almost completely full 8 lb jug on a buddy's shelf and asked him about it. He gave it to me because he had no use for it. I checked the odor and color and it was good. Very happy to have it available to me again!

It is a great powder but, as you have found, you need to work up your loads a little more carefully because the load data is usually a little optimistic.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hook
I bought 32 lbs when it first came out and used it in H4831 type applications with complete satisfaction. It was a very good powder. The last 8 lb jug went bad on me when there were 2-3 lbs left. Don't know why, but I was very disappointed to have to throw it out. Last year, I saw an almost completely full 8 lb jug on a buddy's shelf and asked him about it. He gave it to me because he had no use for it. I checked the odor and color and it was good. Very happy to have it available to me again!

It is a great powder but, as you have found, you need to work up your loads a little more carefully because the load data is usually a little optimistic.

Good stuff Hook. Thanks. I had read, on an internet search, where some of it had gone bad on some guys. When I checked it, I poured a little out on a piece of white paper and it looked good. It smelled fine too. Where I live, there is not a lot of humidity, so I think it will be good for some time. I hope!! A couple years ago, I ran into some 4350 that was bad. A friend of a friend had passed away and he wanted me to check out some of the old powder he had. When I saw the red dust all throughout the can, I told him I'd just dump it out. No good!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's IMR4831..No less,,,no more.
Not new, but very usable.
When Accurate got started, they used a lot of pre existing powders, just repackaged them.
I believe it was Scotts, before that

Last edited by LeeC; 04/23/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by LeeC
It's IMR4831..No less,,,no more.
Not new, but very usable.
When Accurate got started, they used a lot of pre existing powders, just repackaged them.
I believe it was Scotts, before that

I've heard that, except for the fact that if you look at the load manuals, it lists both with different min and max. So that leads me to believe it is not exactly the same.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Figured you would say as much..
The manuals do the same for 231-HP38, 296-H110. and many more you dont know about
Its used to sell more powder.
If you want just ask Muledeer, as he is an accurate shooter. He should know.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wish I still had all my old notebooks. I shot some 3100 a long time ago in 300 Win mag. I remember good groups and slow speeds with 180 grain bullets.

Last edited by mathman; 04/23/23. Reason: Typo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a write up on this powder I'm my 3rd Edition "Propellant Profiles", which is a compilation of articles from Handloader Magazine. In testing, G. Sitton found that while it was safe to use IMR 4831 data, velocities were about 200 fps slower. H4831 data could not be used safely.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Let me know if you ever want a lesson in shooting and actually using a MEASURING device... ha ha.. .
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
There is a write up on this powder I'm my 3rd Edition "Propellant Profiles", which is a compilation of articles from Handloader Magazine. In testing, G. Sitton found that while it was safe to use IMR 4831 data, velocities were about 200 fps slower. H4831 data could not be used safely.

That sounds about right, looking at some comparative load data. Thanks Mike.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by LeeC
Figured you would say as much..
The manuals do the same for 231-HP38, 296-H110. and many more you dont know about
Its used to sell more powder.
If you want just ask Muledeer, as he is an accurate shooter. He should know.

Muledeer has been wrong many times, I had to correct him a few weeks ago, as he was giving out some very poor and somewhat dangerous information. You can converse with him though.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I am still using some from the later '70s from Sonday powder company. IIRC it was 35 bucks for 8 pounds and I used a lot of it. My lot has close to the same speed as the surplus H-4831 I had and not as fast as IMR-4831.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I used is quite successfully in the 338 WM with 275 Speers. 30-06 with 180's and the last of it with a 260 Remington and 140's. My brother used the middle of the Keg in his 7mm RM.
Good powder.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The original 3100, and maybe later issues of it as well, was surplus military powder from heaven knows where. When my last jug went bad, I talked to a techie at AA who made a comment about it being somewhat 'well aged' before it was ever acquired and sold commercially. That being said, it was/is a fine powder for reloading and is in the same burn ranges as the two 4831s....but is not identical. One just needs to use 3100 load data and work up your load as with all powders. I had terrific results with it over the years.

BTW, I had a large amount of original 4831 go bad about the same time as the 3100 went bad. There were 12-15 lbs of it in a metal cannister that would likely hold more than twice that amount. It broke my heart to have to pour out both of those powders, but such is life. Of all the different powders I've had and used, and some of it was MUCH older than the 3100, those are the only two batches that have gone bad.

As I said, I was recently gifted with an 8 lb jug of 3100. We are both lucky to have this powder and I, for one, am looking forward to using it again!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Working with old powders is pretty fun. I inherited a large batch from a guy who gave it up a couple years back. There was H870, H570, Accurate 8700, H205, IMR 4320, Win 540, and 571. I’ve had good luck with most of them.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I never had surplus 4831 go bad but I sure have 3100.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ll have to look up the load and group size, but that load using 3100 was the most accurate load I had with that rifle.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My experience with MR-3100 began in the mid-1970's and has shown reliable results; accuracy and velocity. Cartridges used have been .243W, .270W, & .30-06. Contacted Accurate Arms at the time of purchase and was told the presumptive content (either if I recall correctly) was high. Have personally run into no issues with bad powder as evidenced by consistent performance. Having several unopened kegs, I plan to continue using, I including expanding cartridge applications.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With out checking, I believe there are a few different variations. AA 3100, MR3100 & ??
I’m not sure of or if any difference. I have a jug just like the one you bought and have loaded 338 wm, 257 Roberts,280 and 30/06. I like this powder and wouldn’t sell any of it.
My father inlaw shoots 3100 and said the velocity has very little E.S.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
You make a good point 338reddog of there likely being several variations of 3100.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (257 mag, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16 invisible), 1,715 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,867
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.