Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I don't like cooking squirrel. I have pan fried, and deep fried it. I don't care for the taste of it myself. Daughter told some boys at church that she liked squirrel, and next week, two large greys were coming home from church with us. (At least I didn't have to clean them), but I'm gonna have to keep an eye on those boys 😉. I'm not much for following recipes, but I was thinking, peeled apple stuffed in the body cavity, wrap the whole thing up in bacon, throw it on the grill. ??? Should I marinate it in something first? Ideas? Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's too tough and stringy for grilling. Low and slow smoked - maybe? I've never tried it. Low and slow braise is more like it as it's too lean for fat to render to keep it juicy. Crock pot/insta pot/dutch oven with veggies, tomato paste or canned tomatos, chicken stock. Serve over noodles. Pretty classic dish and usually turns out great.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I make stew with them. Or wrap in bacon and smoke. But if you smoke them, you need to complete encapsulate the meat in bacon. You can grill it too, but it's far better on a skewer over an open fire.

Last edited by Verylargeboots; 04/27/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cut the squirrel up, then boil it in mainly water and salt and pepper. Add in some other spices if you want but salt and pepper is required. When it gets tender strain out the liquid and save it. Let the squirrel cool and pull the meat off of the bones. Take the saved liquid and either make dumplings or buy frozen ones. Please don't used canned bisquits as a substitute. When the dumplings get close to done add the boned squirrel back into the pot. The dumplings should have thickened up the liquid, but if not take a small amount of flour and cold water, in a pint jar or such, and shake it to mix, make damn sure the water is cold. Add that in the pot so the new flour/water will cook and thicken things. Then enjoy. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^^^^
I haven't had squirrel for years but all the squirrel I've ate was fried. I always thought it would be good boned and cooked in a stew.

Last edited by MickinColo; 04/27/23.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fried squirrel,biscuits and gravy is the standard,but you need young squirrel, and if you don,t or just don't know, then you make squirrel and dumplings. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pressure cooker is your friend, 30 min or so will help make em tender then you can brown them and make gravy and biscuits

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
🤔 dumplings, biscuits & gravy, stew???? Well the boss (girl who procured the squirrels) heard dumplings and says make em like chicken and dumplings. Our version of that is like a soup. Broth not gravy. Grampa taught me his version of dumplings. Dough rolled out and cut into squares. Says it's polish cooking, don't know if I should believe him or not. 😉. But it's good, so I think we'll give it a try, maybe invole the instapot to tender up them squirrel. Thanks for all the great ideas! Much appreciated!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Braise in a liquid. Dumplings and Stew will work.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As others ^ ^ have posted
Dumplings, stews, soups. Brunswick, etc.

I accidentally discovered squirrel and ramens
some years ago. Pretty good stuff after a hunt

Plus Mepps fishing lure company still buys
the tails IIRC

Wabbits and squirrels are a good food

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Cook the fuggers with some beer, peppers and onion in a crockpot until the meat falls off the bone, then debone, transfer back to the crockpot, and douse with a bottle of cheap barbecue sauce. Heat everything up, salt to taste, then serve on buns with pickles. Pulled squirrel bbq sandwiches.

Several recipes out there on the net. Pick one and play around with it. Pretty good cooked this way. Would probably be good in a smoker too.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Gallahad
🤔 dumplings, biscuits & gravy, stew???? Well the boss (girl who procured the squirrels) heard dumplings and says make em like chicken and dumplings. Our version of that is like a soup. Broth not gravy. Grampa taught me his version of dumplings. Dough rolled out and cut into squares. Says it's polish cooking, don't know if I should believe him or not. 😉. But it's good, so I think we'll give it a try, maybe invole the instapot to tender up them squirrel. Thanks for all the great ideas! Much appreciated!

I make it just as I would chicken and dumplings as well. Turns out great.

Let us know how I turned out

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son and I really like "squirrel pops":

Quartered and cooked in either the pressure cooker or crock pot with some chicken broth and the seasonings we happen to grab. When it's tender we pull the meat. Then the meant is gently mixed with some cream cheese and chopped onions and peppers.
Next we lay out 2 crescent rolls (square shaped this way) and drop a scoop of the meat mix. Wrap the corners up to make sort of a dumpling and in the oven until brown.

Damn fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good addition to an etoufee or jambalaya.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Or you Can fry them (and make gravy) and change out the cream of chicken for cream of mushroom, add some onions sweet peppers, carrots in the crock pot, biscuits when they are done. Fried potatoes in the skillet and put gravy over them if you don’t want biscuits.

Yep talked myself into making some this week

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Toss in the garbage

Order a pizza

Call it a win

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Pressure cooked, picked and pan seared in your preferred taco/Mexican seasoning makes a damn good taco. Also a great addition to gumbo.

Mepps still buys tails. Double the value if you use for lure credit. Sent them a 100+ tails a year or so ago and restocked my spinner box quite well.

Semper Fi

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Squirrel is good. Cook them slow 3 hours in a gravy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 2ndwind, 4214chip, 36 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,623
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.