Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I eats my BBQ with a slice of vegan, free range pumpkin and caraway seed marble rye.

You must be gettin that, from Geno !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Knowing nothing about Southern cooking/barbecue, but I gotta ask...seems to us tourists that every damn thing on the menu is loaded with sugar...in one form or another. Brown sugar, molasses, sugar sugar, sucktose and fuctose, honey, corn syrup...from sweet tea to good cuts of meat, a rack of ribs southern style seems to be the equivalent of eating a full dozen cop donuts with sprinkles...even fish for crissake. What is with the sugar obsession?

I use no sugar. Then again I refuse to give money for BBQ. Most overpriced food there is. I do my own to my own liking. What happens when you mix tight wad square heads with tight wad Scots.

I tried eating store bought BBQ a couple times.

I decided I couldn't afford it.

If it was a quarter of the money I might enjoy it more.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Amen on the hushpuppies or corn bread on the plate with the pig and slaw and tater salad or baked beans. You only need the white bread for a sandwich with que and slaw

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As a Yankee who had the good fortune to live in South Carolina in the 70's i ate lots of damn good BBQ! I liked the places where they was always a pitcher of sweet tea and assorted hot sauces sitting on the table. I never ate the ever present bread, just lots of really good pulled pork!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A home made cheesy garlic biscuit would do the trick.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was in college a long time ago, I had a friend there who was from Texas. We ate in an old boarding house. He called white bread, "wasp nest." "Pass the wasp nest down this way, Fred. I need to sop up this gravy." grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RUM7
Why in the world does there need to be a schitty piece of white wonder bread slopped on the plate next to some BBQ that obviously took hours if not days to make? It seems like throwing a walmart bumper sticker on a Mercedes. It seems to be a prerequisite. Why not some good homemade bread?

Next you will be complaining that nobody set out Grandma's polished silver set instead of using the shrinkwrapped plastic fork/knife packets laugh

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Next you will be complaining that nobody set out Grandma's polished silver set instead of using the shrinkwrapped plastic fork/knife packets laugh
You Uppity Texans with your fancy shrink wrapped eatin' utensils........, we had Sporks ! grin

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Every meal at my grandmother's farm house, there was a plate with 1/2 a loaf of white bread that was passed with all the other food. And she was not from the south.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why in the world does there need to be a schitty piece of white wonder bread slopped on the plate next to some BBQ that obviously took hours if not days to make? It seems like throwing a walmart bumper sticker on a Mercedes. It seems to be a prerequisite. Why not some good homemade bread?

You take the bread and wipe the sauce and what ever left on the plate and eat it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of southerners love sugar and white bread. Koolaid, sweet tea, all kinds of sugared up foods. Don’t know why. Been that way since I was a kid in the 80’s and I’m sure for generations before that.

No surprise southern states have the highest rates of the beetus and obesity.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was eating at Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa back in the late 80s when it was still really good. An out of stater asked the waitress for a menu. She wrote on a napkin "Ribs, white bread"

As for Southern BBQ being full of sugar. That is not the way it was where I grew up in North Alabama. A good dry rub was applied before slow cooking and maybe a little tangy sauce towards the end, but none of this sweet ketchup and brown sugar based stuff that passes for sauce elsewhere. Also, no self respecting Southerner would ever add a grain of sugar to their cornbread.

Last edited by TnBigBore; 04/27/23.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Same reason I sometimes like to fry bologna with my eggs

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Roast beef is BBQ? Who knew? If it's not slow smoked pork shoulder, or maybe ribs, it's not BBQ!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
Great BBQ is made in some sketchy places….

Dad used to say the best BBQ came from places that couldn't pass the health department inspection.

The Ol Man was right. The Health Department here is all proud of their new $$$$ from the big scam. Some great places getting hassled for “Safety”……. Just not right to let scared sheep decide how pork should be rubbed and smoked.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
Amen on the hushpuppies or corn bread on the plate with the pig and slaw and tater salad or baked beans. You only need the white bread for a sandwich with que and slaw

This^^^^^

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
You Uppity Texans with your fancy shrink wrapped eatin' utensils........, we had Sporks ! grin

If you was from Texas, you would be uppity too!!

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I must not've been exposed to authentic southern cooking. I went to a heavy equipment auction a while back, the caterer had a big sign advertising "Bill's Southern Style BBQ". He had a huge trailer bbq grill where he was slow cooking racks and racks of baby back ribs on hardwood....just beautiful, brown sizzling, dripping...we could smell it for hours while the auction was going on. Cutting to the chase, Bill's server would cut off a big portion, slather it with some kind of 90 weight brown sugar sauce, put a couple of what appeared to be a rice, pork, onion mixture rolled in a cabbage leaf and doused with sweet tamarind sauce (actually very good) and a huge white sweet honey soft dinner roll. All followed with sugar glazed pecan cluster in a cupcake cup. So, the main, sugar ribs, veg, sugar cabbage roll, a sugar starch, and sugar dessert. I think I caught the diabeetus for three days after I got home. But in honesty, I ate it all, it was in California, and Bill claiming 'Southern'....he mighta been from Bakersfield.

Well Bill sounds like a dickhead.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you haven’t been to Western Kentucky, you don’t know what good Barbecue really is…………..

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
I was eating at Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa back in the late 80s when it was still really good. An out of stater asked the waitress for a menu. She wrote on a napkin "Ribs, white bread"

As for Southern BBQ being full of sugar. That is not the way it was where I grew up in North Alabama. A good dry rub was applied before slow cooking and maybe a little tangy sauce towards the end, but none of this sweet ketchup and brown sugar based stuff that passes for sauce elsewhere. Also, no self respecting Southerner would ever add a grain of sugar to their cornbread.

It was still good in the mid 90's. We would usually go in a group. It was ribs, beer, soda, bread and paper towels. They would bring out plates of ribs and loaves of day old bread from the Sunbeam Bakery. Ole guy runnin' the place then told us the bread was free! Everything stayed on the table (bones & cans) until everyone was full. Then the ole boy would come out, count the cans and estimate the amount of ribs eaten by the pile of bones. Finally he would spit out a number for the final bill. Cash only, and change was made in a cigar box. Good times indeed...

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,966
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.