Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Willto
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Yeah TSS shells are extremely pricey and all the rage as of late, I have a few buddies that are useing them to kill turkeys @60yds+ but to Me the challenge of calling them in to 40yds or less is the fun (sport) of it and if I can't get him to come in that close? Well the gobbler won the day 😁...I wont be purchasing any TSS turkey shells as good old Winchester Longbeard #5 shells will pattern better than i need and more in my 20ga....Good hunting....Hb

Do you only shoot a deer if comes within 40 yards of you? Elk? Caribou? Never understood why turkeys are the only game animal that must be 40 yards or closer or the experience of killing it is ruined or unethical. And how was 40 yards settled upon as the magic number at which killing a turkey becomes something fun and honorable? Was there a national vote? Government degree? What is the precise reduction in fun and skill if you kill him at say 41 yards compared to 40 yards? 30% less fun? 50%? Is there a graft chart available showing the reduction of sporting fun to yardage ratio?

I have had hunts where I yelped one time just after daylight and had a gobbler fall off the limb and run up to 10 yards like a lost dog. Then again I have fooled with a contrary old bird for 6 hours. Threw every call and trick I knew at him. Got up and repositioned 3 times before finally getting him to walk up to 50 yards and catch a load of TSS number 9's.

Ask me which one of the two I was more proud of. Which one required more effort or skill? Which one was the greater accomplishment? Lots of things make a hunt more or less difficult or more or less special than the shot distance.
wow! Sorry you got so "butthurt" over my post but thats the way i feel. i dont think its cool to shoot deer from another zip code either like some of my buddies do so i dont do it, but on the other hand i could care less how somebody else hunts as long as its legal so why sweat what i think? Hunt the way you want.....Hb

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yeah TSS shells are extremely pricey and all the rage as of late, I have a few buddies that are useing them to kill turkeys @60yds+ but to Me the challenge of calling them in to 40yds or less is the fun (sport) of it and if I can't get him to come in that close? Well the gobbler won the day 😁...I wont be purchasing any TSS turkey shells as good old Winchester Longbeard #5 shells will pattern better than i need and more in my 20ga....Good hunting....Hb

Do you only shoot a deer if comes within 40 yards of you? Elk? Caribou? Never understood why turkeys are the only game animal that must be 40 yards or closer or the experience of killing it is ruined or unethical. And how was 40 yards settled upon as the magic number at which killing a turkey becomes something fun and honorable? Was there a national vote? Government degree? What is the precise reduction in fun and skill if you kill him at say 41 yards compared to 40 yards? 30% less fun? 50%? Is there a graft chart available showing the reduction of sporting fun to yardage ratio?

I have had hunts where I yelped one time just after daylight and had a gobbler fall off the limb and run up to 10 yards like a lost dog. Then again I have fooled with a contrary old bird for 6 hours. Threw every call and trick I knew at him. Got up and repositioned 3 times before finally getting him to walk up to 50 yards and catch a load of TSS number 9's.

Ask me which one of the two I was more proud of. Which one required more effort or skill? Which one was the greater accomplishment? Lots of things make a hunt more or less difficult or more or less special than the shot distance.
wow! Sorry you got so "butthurt" over my post but thats the way i feel. i dont think its cool to shoot deer from another zip code either like some of my buddies do so i dont do it, but on the other hand i could care less how somebody else hunts as long as its legal so why sweat what i think? Hunt the way you want.....Hb
No butthurt. Just a long running confusion at this cult of 40 yards that only seems to involve one American game animal. You said you also don't shoot at deer "from another zip code" but I notice you gave no specific yardage distance. That is because with deer and every other animal we hunt no one mentions a specific distance limit on any of them. Even hunting other game with a shotgun like dove, quail, pheasant, or squirrel no one ever slaps a hard limit on shot distance. Only turkeys, it's weird.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have killed around 150 whitetails since my first little three point in the Fall of 83 and i have never shot one that was more than 150yds but I know guys who shoot them from almost half a mile. But Why overthink it? Hunt the way you want and who cares how the next guy hunts as long as its legal....Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Different strokes for different folks. To some turkey hunters, it's not about the kill but the challenge of calling a bird in as close as they can, resulting in a close range shot, say in the 30-35 yard range. If they don't get the shot they want, then the turkey lives to gobble at them another day, and they walk away having gained some more experience as a hunter. To others, it's all about the kill, and nothing short of a bird on the ground is considered a good hunt. Those hunters go to great lengths to be able to make a shot as far out as possible.

I have always believed that it is a hunters responsibility to make as quick and humane as kill as possible. To me, that means using equipment that makes that happen, and making absolutely sure that I can put my shot where it needs to go. Since we're talking turkey hunting here, and this is me personally, I like the challenge of calling a turkey in as close as I can, giving me the chance to make a clean shot. I have never used the expensive shells, using only lead, mostly number 5 shot. I'm not going to argue with someone over their use of the TSS or any other ammo like that. If that's what they like, then so be it.

But, just remember this.... for every turkey that's killed with the high dollar shells, dozens more, and probably more than that, are killed with shells loaded with lead. When I look back on all the birds that I've killed, and I have taken more than a few at distances that were longer than I thought I was shooting, my most memorable hunts were not those at which I killed a turkey "way out there," but those in which I outsmarted a gobbler and got him to come in close. But again, different strokes for different folks. Use what you want, and go out and enjoy the hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No butthurt. Just a long running confusion at this cult of 40 yards that only seems to involve one American game animal. You said you also don't shoot at deer "from another zip code" but I notice you gave no specific yardage distance. That is because with deer and every other animal we hunt no one mentions a specific distance limit on any of them. Even hunting other game with a shotgun like dove, quail, pheasant, or squirrel no one ever slaps a hard limit on shot distance. Only turkeys, it's weird.

Deer hunting? Try getting a reliable buckshot pattern beyond 40 yards.

As far as TSS, though, I'm a believer. I haven't killed a bird this spring - yet. Hopefully I will. But I got one with my 20 gauge using Federal TSS #7 at a tad past 40 yards during our week week winter season. Her head was plastered and I only found two pellets in any meat below the neck. They were across the top of the back below the neck. And that was with the standard full choke that came with the gun.

Back to deer, I know there is #4 buck TSS but I don't think there are any commercial loads. A 3" load of #4 buck would be the bombdiggity.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 04/27/23.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Back to deer, I know there is #4 buck TSS but I don't think there are any commercial loads. A 3" load of #4 buck would be the bombdiggity.

Yeah back in the days when we still ran deer with dogs TSS buckshot would have been revolutionary. You could drop down to number 4 buckshot for a better pattern and still get outrageous penetration on deer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
In a 12ga, what TSS load are you guys shooting?

7 & 9, 7 or 9 ?

I'm shooting Apex TSS, 3", #9

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah back in the days when we still ran deer with dogs TSS buckshot would have been revolutionary. You could drop down to number 4 buckshot for a better pattern and still get outrageous penetration on deer.

Indeed. I hunt deer during times when hunt clubs are driving them with hounds and have killed numerous deer off their dogs. They don't like it, but public land and all that... After more than 40 years of hunting deer with buckshot, I am still looking for the best load.

I see Apex has Predator loads with 4,2 or BB shot. They advertise it for deer. I'd have a hard time accepting that BB TSS is adequate to ensure a relative clean and quick kill. I'm not even that keen on bigger lead #4 buck, except that TSS would probably shoot clean through a deer at reasonable ranges.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In my case I used TSS #9 in a .410 because of the guns fixed skeet choke.I killed a bird previously with 7.5 lead,but 15 yards was maximum range. TSS stretched that to 35+. Killed my bird yesterday at 25 yards.

Attached Images
52849303773_8a7bdf9c40_w.jpg (37.38 KB, 216 downloads)
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks like a Winchester 42, I called one in for a buddy of mine 2 years ago and he killed it with a Winchester model 42. You could not have slapped that grin off his face after that.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Oh and congrats on your bird

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by pullit
Looks like a Winchester 42, I called one in for a buddy of mine 2 years ago and he killed it with a Winchester model 42. You could not have slapped that grin off his face after that.
Yes,42 skeet with solid rib.Was my grandfathers who passed away in 1965 when I was 6 years old. Gun and I were both born in 1959,but the 42 is in far better shape than me!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Cool old guns for sure. I tried a 42 at skeet a few times, it was like swinging a broom handle. I need a little more weight in a gun for that game.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I shoot lead. I find the thought of $10 or more per trigger pull repulsive. I limit my shots to 30 yards and in. My choice.
It may be shocking to some that I also limit my archery shots to 30 yards and my rifle shots to 150 yards. My choice. Can I shoot further? Of course. Would I see myself as a less skilled hunter? Yes, I would.
How do I see you as a hunter taking 50, 60, 70 yard shots with TSS? Well, you can decide.
Personally, I'd rather take that $50 and buy a box of Federal Grand Slams or LongBeards and a case of beer.

Brian

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by docost99
I shoot lead. I find the thought of $10 or more per trigger pull repulsive. I limit my shots to 30 yards and in. My choice.
It may be shocking to some that I also limit my archery shots to 30 yards and my rifle shots to 150 yards. My choice. Can I shoot further? Of course. Would I see myself as a less skilled hunter? Yes, I would.
How do I see you as a hunter taking 50, 60, 70 yard shots with TSS? Well, you can decide.
Personally, I'd rather take that $50 and buy a box of Federal Grand Slams or LongBeards and a case of beer.
We are only allowed one bird in the spring,so the $8.00 shell is a minimal expense in the long run-I paid 3500.00 for the model 42 from my parents estate and $14.00 for breakfast after I killed my bird,plus I don't drink beer.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Lol funny how ppl always seem to think guys that shoot tss can not call. I load my own tss, cost me 4-5.00 a shell. Here are several Missouri gobblers that hand loaded tss 20ga smashed. Furthest shot was 37 yds.

Attached Images

Don't gobble at me
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Lol funny how ppl always seem to think guys that shoot tss can not call. .
That is funny as I have never heard anybody say that.....Hb

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It is funny to me (but the shell companies market it this way) that people think if you shoot TSS that you are only shoot long shots....lol
I try to shoot them inside of 35 yards, (like 20-25 if I can)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
It is funny to me (but the shell companies market it this way) that people think if you shoot TSS that you are only shoot long shots....lol
I try to shoot them inside of 35 yards, (like 20-25 if I can)

Agreed.

It's nice to have the extra range, but even if range wasn't a factor, the pattern density of TSS vs. lead would make it worth it.

Last edited by StudDuck; 05/01/23.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
just got this from Rogers, I don't know anything about 410 TSS, but thought I would pass it on

https://rogerssportinggoods.com/remington-410bore-3inch-1316oz-1100fps-tss-turkey-loads/

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (06hunter59, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,624
Posts18,492,811
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.