Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
IKE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I now just own three 1911's and rotate taking them and 100 rounds per trip to the range weekly with my loaded 230 gr. FMJ ball ammo and shoot at the 25 yd steel plates.....all three are 5", stainless and have been reliable and accurate.

1. SA Mil-Spec.
2. Ruger SR1911
3. S&W 'E' series

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
After reading everyone's replies and watching a lot of youtube video reviews, I put my money down on one of these today - Tisas 1911 Duty in 9mm. Tisas 1911's are pretty much at the top of everyone's best buy list and this one has some cool kid features - ramped barrel, larger beavertail grip safety, front serrations and three dot Novak style sights. For this lefty it also comes with an ambidextrous safety which a lot of 1911's I would've otherwise considered don't have.

But if you look in the center of the picture you can see what to me is pure gravy, it has a countersunk slide lock pin. I was leaning heavily toward a Tisas anyway, it's a good way to get back into a decent 1911 without spending a lot of money but that little feature really sealed the deal.

Almost every other 1911 style pistol out there has the pin standing very proud of the frame, and I know from shooting a CZ 75 that pin will annoy if not outright tear up my right thumb post haste. With this one, the pin is just flush with the frame so it won't interfere with a thumbs forward hold.

It should get here in a week or so, once I've had a chance to wring it out some I'll post an amateur gunwriter review on it.

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on your new Tisas 9mm. I think that you will be pleased. I'd suggest some kind of polymer holster (like Kidex) to keep the forward serrations from ripping up a leather holster. And, buy enough mags to load up a box of ammo, it saves time at the range/plinking fields.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
After reading everyone's replies and watching a lot of youtube video reviews, I put my money down on one of these today - Tisas 1911 Duty in 9mm. Tisas 1911's are pretty much at the top of everyone's best buy list and this one has some cool kid features - ramped barrel, larger beavertail grip safety, front serrations and three dot Novak style sights. For this lefty it also comes with an ambidextrous safety which a lot of 1911's I would've otherwise considered don't have.

But if you look in the center of the picture you can see what to me is pure gravy, it has a countersunk slide lock pin. I was leaning heavily toward a Tisas anyway, it's a good way to get back into a decent 1911 without spending a lot of money but that little feature really sealed the deal.

Almost every other 1911 style pistol out there has the pin standing very proud of the frame, and I know from shooting a CZ 75 that pin will annoy if not outright tear up my right thumb post haste. With this one, the pin is just flush with the frame so it won't interfere with a thumbs forward hold.

It should get here in a week or so, once I've had a chance to wring it out some I'll post an amateur gunwriter review on it.

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]
I have a stainless version of the same gun probably only shot at 3 or 400 times now but it is giving me no issues. if I change much on it it'll be the grips and go to a full length rod guide for easier takedown.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had my current Springfield Loaded for about 25 years and have owned other 1911's. I carried the Springfield on duty for about a dozen years and had no problem shooting over 90% on quarterly quals.

I always replace guide rods with the old GI style and found them reliable and easy to field strip. I also use the old armorers press check when cleaning the gun.

I picked up a Kimber 10mm Camp Guard few months ago and have about 200 rounds through it. Even with the Wilson Combat mags I still have feeding issues. Kimber wants a 300 round break in like my Dan Wesson Long Slide 10mm. It's a very tight gun and seems to be better at feeding now. The Dan Wesson ate everything with out a burp.

I don't have a need for a 9mm 1911 as I have had my custom Browning Hi Power for over 30 years and love it.

Long live Americas greatest fighting hand gun, the 1911 Govt. Mod in .45 ACP.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like blued (non-stainless) .45 acp Springfield Amory 1911 with NM prefix s/n ( = forged, milled, made/assembled in USA)., but change out the IL system. The Range Officer , I THINK, has been discontinued. Grab one while you can.

Don't forget STI and Rock RIVER ( not Rock Island).

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Appreciate all of the replies, it looks like you can't go terribly wrong with any of the major players and/or something starting at $400 (Tisas 1911A1) and going up, unless you get a lemon, which anyone can make.

First, I'll get the heresy and sacrilege out of the way. Looking for a full size 9mm shocked for recoil and ammo logistics reasons. It'll be more of a range toy and fun gun, nothing for serious social purposes, and trying to stay under $1,000 but I'm open to extending that a touch. Lots of nice guns in that area but the 9mm requirement cuts down the selection a lot.

Right now kind of torn between the Tisas basic 1911A1, mostly because it's dirt cheap, reviewers unanimously agree it's a very solid performer, and in an era of boutique pistols a basic GI issue pistol just appeals to me. Maybe it has panache. wink Only thing that gives me pause is the sights, I do like to hit what I'm aiming at.

The other end of that would be a Kimber stainless Target II, in large part due to the good adjustable sights. I've had two blued Kimber Target models in .45, an original "no dash" if you will, and a Target II. First one was very accurate with sight movement dead on reliable, at 25 yards it would put 7 shots into a 1 1/2" square aiming point without touching the edges of the square. Second one had an issue where it shot way off to the left. Had to send that back, Kimber fixed that and it was a fine pistol after that.

Folks seem to like the Kimbers - not love them but like them, or they really really don't like them at all. I'm not married to the Kimber name but my experiences have been great and okay - call it one win, no losses and one tie. They are a known quantity to me and even though the Target II is discontinued I can get a new one for just under $900 which seems to be a pretty good price for one these days. A Springfield Range Officer would be a solid second choice but from what I can find they are only available on the used market.

My son has a 9mm Ruger, I think with target sights and maybe stainless. I was shocked how accurate it was. I guess I wasn't expecting much but it sure is a sweetie. Also, I sold him a Smith stainless 1911 in 45 auto. That was the tightest smoothest 1911 I've ever had, and accurate. Good luck finding what you want.

Old guy, old guns.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Even with the Wilson Combat mags I still have feeding issues. Kimber wants a 300 round break in like my Dan Wesson Long Slide 10mm. It's a very tight gun and seems to be better at feeding now. The Dan Wesson ate everything with out a burp.
Put some cheap oil in the rails and RSA. Cycle the slide by hand about 100,000 times while watching "The View" reruns. Clean and lube afterwards.

Dan Wesson is 2x the price of a Kimber - so it ought to work right out of the box. They can afford to have little old ladies hand cycle the pistols.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You keep downtalking the DW's as being too expensive...............now you're saying Kimber is half the cost...............that's pretty selective math.

The cheapest Kimber is the TLE II with a 5'' gun being about $1100 list & yes, DW does not sell anything that cheap as most of their guns list for $1600-1800 & are not discounted.

But Kimber's Rapide, for example, as well as the Raptor, Covert, etc., sell for about $1500-1800 & are a POS in comparison to any DW & it's full of MIM & white metal. To say nothing of other potential issues.

Kimber Rapide Review

Comparable Colts or SA's are also in the $1400-1600 range.

So yes, you can buy Colts & SA's for less, but you get what you pay for; with DW you also get what you pay for.

MM

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
The cheapest Kimber is the TLE II with a 5'' gun being about $1100 list & yes, DW does not sell anything that cheap as most of their guns list for $1600-1800 & are not discounted.
Kimber starts at $759
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/214586
But Kimber's Rapide, for example, as well as the Raptor, Covert, etc., sell for about $1500-1800 & are a POS in comparison to any DW & it's full of MIM & white metal. To say nothing of other potential issues.
Can't tell for sure, but this is you friend's pistol - $1529
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/273512

Your fear of MIM is telling and what is your definition of "white metal"?
The basic DW, and I mean BASIC is $1229
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/216785

And the top of the line DW (as pretty as they get) is $2049
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/246952

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't fear MIM, but I understand it's pros & cons & I prefer machined steel.

Here's a MIM part for ya, cowboy..................sure as hell never have seen this with a non-MIM safety.

But for your guns, buy what you want; I'll do the same. I have guns with MIM, & they work until they don't & those guns don't get used for certain purposes.

So rock on bubba.

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yeah, MIM is prone to weak spots developing during formation.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yeah, MIM is prone to weak spots developing during formation.

Time to sell the Glock.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Got started with 1911 in the late 70's with the start of IPSC- and Gunsight.
Lost count of how many 1911s Ive shot/broke/rebuilt. Don't trust any handgun until the 2000 rd mark.
Still have a 9major build by Wilson with over 300,000 rds thru it. Replaced sears, hammer, springs. Has a Clark Beaver tail even; not a Wilson, ( he wasn't making them yet)
Had Randalls, (bet you never heard of them) Kimber II (a ten shot double stack with plastic lower made in Isreal) Colt Combat model. RIA in double stack 10mm something came out new I tried it.

My point is they all break or fail at some point.
Had Springfields completely shear the barrel link up,
had Kimber hammer breaks, I don't care what its made of--
Shot comp guns until the compensator (note IPSC calls then comps. not brakes) was shot off.
Don't count on getting the best gun as to never have a problem
They are just like scopes , the best ones just do the right stuff longer.
Get a copy of Kunhauser sp. and learn how they work, keep spare parts.

Personal carry
Sig Nightmare 357 sig.
Kimber LW Custom 5"9 mm with rifling reamed like a Weatherby-- (shoots same velocity as Sig)
Kimber LW 45 Commander.
Kimber Aegis II 9mm

think there is some crazy SOB posts to this forum, something about "the whole story is in the pile of fired primers"

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
P.S. First person who says "Glock" gets to smoke a turd in Hell... wink

laugh laugh laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
nothing to add to the thread that would help. All of my 1911 pistols are old. The youngest was made in the late nineties

Sam......

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
First 1911 was a used Colt national match, purchased after a motorcycle trip, overnite bear encounter in Redlodge Mt. This was pre SW M-29 days. Gun store in Cody had one, Had a Cariville Arms Safety grip. Possibly the first beaver tail ever made, the entire grip was one piece and locked in two positions. When left in the open position, the gun would fire by squeezing the entire grip and holding the trigger back. Gunsite , Conditions 1,2,3,4 etc hadn't been invented yet.

Couple of saying from pre gamer IPSC may be relevant.

One on shooting groups-- "My grandmother can shoot that good it just takes her longer"

Another --- which gun,bullet,holster etc. "I would rather have you shooting at me with the best gun, the best super bullet etc
than have Rob Leatham shooting at me with his practice gun and loads.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't fear MIM, but I understand it's pros & cons & I prefer machined steel.

Here's a MIM part for ya, cowboy..................sure as hell never have seen this with a non-MIM safety.

But for your guns, buy what you want; I'll do the same. I have guns with MIM, & they work until they don't & those guns don't get used for certain purposes.

So rock on bubba.

MM

I had a Kimber MIM mag catch crumble into pieces while I was firing the gun at just less than 800 rounds. As I was shooting the magazine fell out of the gun, I looked down at that wondering how the heck that happened and then felt something odd in my right hand. I pulled the gun in and slowly opened my hand and the right side of the mag catch fell out. I had some greyish dust and slightly larger pieces of metal in my hands. I never did find the left side of the catch. I had a trigger bar break on a Ruger semi auto and I have had a Glock extractor shear the hook off while firing factory Federal AE practice ammo. Shoot enough and those things do happen. Given a choice I would not choose MIM if possible to avoid it. It was one of the reasons I chose Dan Wesson for my last 1911.

Last edited by MOGC; 05/06/23.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Etoh
Got started with 1911 in the late 70's with the start of IPSC- and Gunsight.
Lost count of how many 1911s Ive shot/broke/rebuilt. Don't trust any handgun until the 2000 rd mark.
Still have a 9major build by Wilson with over 300,000 rds thru it. Replaced sears, hammer, springs. Has a Clark Beaver tail even; not a Wilson, ( he wasn't making them yet)
Had Randalls, (bet you never heard of them) Kimber II (a ten shot double stack with plastic lower made in Isreal) Colt Combat model. RIA in double stack 10mm something came out new I tried it.

My point is they all break or fail at some point.
Had Springfields completely shear the barrel link up,
had Kimber hammer breaks, I don't care what its made of--
Shot comp guns until the compensator (note IPSC calls then comps. not brakes) was shot off.
Don't count on getting the best gun as to never have a problem
They are just like scopes , the best ones just do the right stuff longer.
Get a copy of Kunhauser sp. and learn how they work, keep spare parts.

Personal carry
Sig Nightmare 357 sig.
Kimber LW Custom 5"9 mm with rifling reamed like a Weatherby-- (shoots same velocity as Sig)
Kimber LW 45 Commander.
Kimber Aegis II 9mm

think there is some crazy SOB posts to this forum, something about "the whole story is in the pile of fired primers"

BTDT, in multiple disciplines of competition..................about the only thing you really got right is that given enough time & rounds, it's possible for anything to break. but sometimes it doesn't either.

But................BIG BUT, there too, bud, the likelihood of MIM breaking before machined or forged parts is much more probable on certain parts...............MIM simply has lower tensile & sheer strength properties as well as more liklihood of significant porosity than does machined tool steel or forgings.

If I give you a choice of a MIM slide stop or a forged / machined slide stop on your personal protection carry gun, which would you choose? And please be honest.

And yes, I've built 1911's from scratch (ie, parts), modified them in most common configurations & shot a few more than a "pile of fired primers". And my 2nd Dad was a 100% full time practicing gunsmith / machinist.

I also know what Randall 1911's were too........................actually not really anything very special, other than an early iteration stainless pistol.

And as for Jerry Kuhnhausen's book, yes, it's a good shop manual & I keep it close for reference, same for Ken Hallock's 45 Auto Handbook; and if you're going to talk about Kuhnhausen, at least learn to spell his name right..................that would add some credibility to your post.

And I also have 11 or 12 1911's on hand right now.

That 3 or your listed 1911's are Kimbers is also quite telling..................given Kimbers current overall perception in the gun communities based on the high number of instances of problems, excepting the very earliest versions. And I'm not saying that all about Kimber is bad at all, but the current versions need some TLC & I actually have 2 that have been given that are are now fine guns.

By comparison to your 4 listed guns, here are a top 5 from my current stable

Wilson Protector
Wilson X-Tac
Dan Wesson Gaurdian
Christensen Custom Bobtail Commander
Colt Combat Commander (produced in the early 1970's)

MM

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Everyone, especially 1911 shooters, are opinionated, check out 1911 addicts and 1911Forum.
Not knocking whether MIM are good, bad or indifferent, but they do have there place, and one of them is producing a lower cost gun that may give the shooter enough experience to go further along the trail.
Randall were a piece of kaka, that was put out between an era when Colt wasn't. Springfield also did the same thing.

NO need to remember correct spelling of Proper nouns, it changes from place to place and time to time

On a statistical basis (per 100 sold) I doubt if Kimber has any more problems than any another maker. Doubt if Wesson sells anywhere near Kimber.

Barrels in the early Colts were a piece of kaka also. Thats why Bar-STo got famous. The point is it led to improvement in all areas of the 1911 saga. Remember the prong bushings used by Colt? Still have some 38 Super barrels from that if you want them, no MIM there.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (338reddog, AdamT204, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 673, AdventureBound, 7 invisible), 1,699 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,953
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.