Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I have read a pile of military books over the years, and they are all pretty slow moving with some decent action here and there....except this one.
Once you crack it open, you're not going to put it down. M60 (0331) Machine Gunner in Vietnam.

Tony

Edited to add - It's about not being a pussy and hiding when the whole world is imploding around you.
And never, ever, cutting and running until that barrel melts to the ground..............

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by TonyRumore; 04/29/23.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sounds good.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks, just bought it on eBay for $4.09

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
It takes about 50 pages to get rolling.....but after that....hold on to your ball sack.....you're in for an E-Ticket ride, my friend.

Tony

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ll check it out Tony!

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
My dad is in his 80's and is a military historian, having read thousands of books on the topic. Every few years or so, he sends me a book that he thinks might be of interest to me.
In the past 30 or so years, none have really blown up my skirt. But this book is on a completely different level.

Tony

Last edited by TonyRumore; 04/29/23.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Johnnie Clark was a member of my sister's prayer group in St. Pete, Fl., back in the 1980's.
He sent me signed copies of both of his books, which I still have.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I read that book, gosh, must be at least 20 years ago. I am going to check it out again, thanks for the reminder!

Pershing 1A. No city too big, no populated area too small. We even get the roaches.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
great book read it in the 80's 5 or 6 times since then .. He a Fellow West Virginian .. so that helps .

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My "brother" (long story) was a Marine M-60 gunner in 1969 around An Hoa. The local library doesn't have a copy so just ordered a used one off of Abe Books.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks, Tony, for the recommendation of Guns Up!. After reading your suggestion, I dropped the book on my Kindle.

Heck, I'm halfway it now and it's only been about twelve hours.

Yep, it's an excellent read.

Blessings,

Steve

PS. By the way, I commonly read four or five books at the same time. Two others I'm currently reading are Storm Watch by C.J. Box and Red Headed Yukon Guide and Trapper by Terry Wilkinson.

Trust me, both totally satisfy. ST

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Just bought a used copy off ebay 4.08 free shipping Thanks. I used to work with a guy, that was a door gunner for a chopper in Nam he had some great stories, backed them up with pictures. The guns would sometimes get so hot they would warp, had pictures of them also. He said he lost alot of buddies over there.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I recommend 30 Days have September by James Strauss, a Vietnam War story! A true to life account by a Marine Lt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info on this. About half way through. It moves.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just finished reading this last night, definitely a great read that's hard to put down. The fact that it was set largely around An Hoa was of particular interest.

In my post above I mentioned my brother Bob, actually a street kid my mother took in, was a Marine 0331 machine gunner operating around An Hoa starting just a few months after (or maybe overlapping) the time frame of the book. He would have humped the very same territory as the protagonist of the book. Like most vets he never said much about what he saw or did, just a couple of stories here and there, mostly about other Marines he was in awe of. One story he did tell was about being charged by a machete wielding VC one morning while he was squatting and taking a dump.

Anyway, the book really gave me a new insight into the day to day grind he lived through, I might as well have been reading about Bob since his overall experiences would have been pretty much identical.

Coincidentally, the author was sent home after his second wound nine months into his tour - first one was shrapnel from a grenade and the second being shot in the leg, Bob also got a medical discharge after his second wound, also nine months into his tour, first one was shrapnel from a grenade and the second was from being shot through the arm.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Dcl Offline
D
Thanks for posting. I read this awhile ago. Outstanding book! I'll dig it out for a re-read.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm almost finished with it.

Good read so far.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just finished the book a couple of nights ago. I could have read a couple thousand more pages easily...but the intensity of the experience is very well expressed, and so much so that I felt relief for the writer when he finally was out on an airplane to GTHO of there. Damn good read.

I'll probably hang onto it and read it again in a few years.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,479 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,016
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.