Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
In the process of redoing my homeowners insurance and am strongly considering a rider or separate policy to cover guns/optics/loading supplies. Since my Dad's passing last June, my gun number has doubled, and some are rather high dollar. Also have enough loading equipment for 4-5 people. Anyone have a recommendation on companies to talk to?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"

T
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
T
I haven’t had to file a claim but Collectibles Insurance Service made it easy to set a policy up.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I just got burgerlized and yes they took some g7ns. Insurance lady said you know you should have had a rider policy. I said I know but what’s the chances of me getting robbed once let alone twice. She said out of 1000+ customers only one has the rider. No one wants to list serial n7mbers and the biggest reason is don’t want big brother to see what they have
Just think about that before you sign up

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use gunandtrophy.com i would not trust any homeowners related insurance companies with or without a rider, hopefully never have to file a claim, they insure guns.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Eastern Insurance / Hanover Insurance Group. Laura Sewall is the agent I use. NO serial numbers unless over $50,000.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KKDD50
Eastern Insurance / Hanover Insurance Group. Laura Sewall is the agent I use. NO serial numbers unless over $50,000.
Just spoke with her a couple weeks ago to renew and added some ammo coverage. Been with them for years. No claims history, however.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Eastern and Laura are the way to go. I think it’s $10000 before you list serial number.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Gun and Trophy is good setup too, 150 bucks a year up to 48k worth of value

Dont do a rider on home owners, it will be considered as filing a claim against your home if something happens to one and you want it replaced. State Farm wont do it without serial numbers.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I insure through Collectables. I’ve heard good things about Eastern and Gun and Trophy. I’ll probably insure through one of them when my policy is up.

I’ve never had a claim with Collectables, I don’t have to provide serial numbers unless an individual firearm is over $20,000 in value. I’ve been happy with the service I’ve gotten. They were always higher on Premiums than Eastern and Gun and Trophy and keep going steadily up. I’m currently paying around $75 per $10,000 In coverage so plan to change coverage in November.

To me a halfway decent safe that keeps kids, and smash and grabs out and meets your insurance requirements if any combined with that insurance is the way to go. I worry more about total loss fire than I do theft. In the event of a major fire I’m not in a position to replace decades worth of collecting and would take a major financial hit without insurance.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've always wondered how much of the guns were covered on my homeowner's insurance. I've got State Farm for everything. Recently my agent wanted to review our policies, so we asked him just that question. The answer was $2500.00. He said for me to do an inventory and send it to him with proposed values. Obviously I don't have anywhere near as much stuff as most of you, but to insure $26K worth of "Sporting Equipment" the premium is like $200.00 per year. That covers my crossbow also.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I've always wondered how much of the guns were covered on my homeowner's insurance. I've got State Farm for everything. Recently my agent wanted to review our policies, so we asked him just that question. The answer was $2500.00. He said for me to do an inventory and send it to him with proposed values. Obviously I don't have anywhere near as much stuff as most of you, but to insure $26K worth of "Sporting Equipment" the premium is like $200.00 per year. That covers my crossbow also.

And don't make a claim with State Farm they will rip you off at least 50% or more of what you have insurance for.....believe me I've had to deal with them on a loss....
They had pictures and appraised value and refused to pay for what was lost and it was insured by them....they will spend more than what things are worth just so they don't and will not pay.....
I had to hire a lawyer....State Farm has lawyers working for them that get a commission on what is not pay on a policy.....
State Farm sent me a check for just over $40'000 the loss was over $100'000 if i didn't cash the check in 14 days it was void and would not pay anything after 14 days....
Also they raised my home owner insurance over 10 times the rate before the loss it went from $565 to $5843 a year for Home Owner insurance....
My State Farm agent was a life long friend he couldn't believe how I was treated and quit after my theft.....

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Farm Bureau!!!!!!

I think my rider is up at $50K now. $X/$1000 insured. They do not ask for any list of firearms. They do not ask for serial #s, make, or model. The coverage is on the firearm, including attachments. That means the scope on the rifle is covered by the rider. The scope on the shelf, ammo, powder, primers, and reloading equipment comes under homeowners.

I paid $59 each for two pounds of IMR 4831 today for use in a 6mm Rem project. Plus primers at $75/1000, there's a damned fortune in that room just in components.

I do have a list in the safe, and I made a copy and asked the agent to throw it in my file, in case my list gets burned up.

I pay a bit extra on my policy for "full replacement cost". No arguing over "depreciation".

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by IA_fog
I just got burgerlized and yes they took some g7ns. Insurance lady said you know you should have had a rider policy. I said I know but what’s the chances of me getting robbed once let alone twice. She said out of 1000+ customers only one has the rider. No one wants to list serial n7mbers and the biggest reason is don’t want big brother to see what they have
Just think about that before you sign up

My insurance lady always tells me the rider is too expensive. She suggests to just buy a safe. I have 0 confidence the safe will work for fire... I currently have State Farm. Maybe I need to look around.

Last edited by Oakster; 05/01/23.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I am trying to remember how my policy works. I think the rider is for theft only.

Loss to fire comes out of home owner's, IIRC. I also increased our limits on home owner's contents.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like a CREAPY NEIGHBOR STATE FARM IS THERE. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eastern Insurance is the way to go.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used CoreVens since I met them at SCI back in the early 2000's. $100,000 coverage for $350 per year. Covers firearms at residence or in transit.

https://www.corevensfirearminsurance.com/

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

And don't make a claim with State Farm they will rip you off at least 50% or more of what you have insurance for.....believe me I've had to deal with them on a loss....
They had pictures and appraised value and refused to pay for what was lost and it was insured by them....they will spend more than what things are worth just so they don't and will not pay.....
I had to hire a lawyer....State Farm has lawyers working for them that get a commission on what is not pay on a policy.....
State Farm sent me a check for just over $40'000 the loss was over $100'000 if i didn't cash the check in 14 days it was void and would not pay anything after 14 days....
Also they raised my home owner insurance over 10 times the rate before the loss it went from $565 to $5843 a year for Home Owner insurance....
My State Farm agent was a life long friend he couldn't believe how I was treated and quit after my theft.....

Sorry to hear that. It doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy feeling. I'm hoping that I'll never need to use it.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ditched State Farm around 2003 when I got my renewal policy in the mail and State Farm upped my $1000 deductible for roof storm damage to !0% of the appraised price of the house. This meant my roof damage had to exceed $14,000 damage before S/F's coverage kicked in. Average complete roof replacements for my size of house back then was around $3500 to $4000. A trip to S/F agent that day about the policy change,got nothing but a lie from her that " All the insurance companies are doing it." I said the ins company replacing you doesn't. But as usual, was subjected to the GAF look and I left. Went by Farmers and started another policy.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Asking again about Collectables Ins claims. Anyone ever had one with them and if so were you happy with treatment and settlement?GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Glad this topic came up. Forced me to calculate the value of my collection which told me to buy insurance, and I just did.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 222Sako, 257robertsimp, 58 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,496
Posts18,509,148
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.