Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
There's recently been considerable debate about this subject elsewhere on the Campfire--so thought I might mention that The Big Book of Gun Gack II is on sale through next Sunday, along with several other books available through www.riflesandrecipes.com. The book's regular price is $32.75. The sale price is $27.25--which like all the books on the website includes priority-mail shipping in the U.S. (No "surprise" shipping-and-handling fees added.)

I specifically mention GGII because Chapter 10 contains the results of temperature range-testing I've been doing since the late 1990s, which produced some interesting stuff. The essay accompanying the test results contains info about why I became interested in the pre-testing powders, in both colder and hotter than average conditions, along with some additional technical stuff on the subject from Rob Reiber, the long-time head of the Hodgdon ballistics lab who retired a couple years ago. The results include 29 cartridges from the .17 Hornady Hornet to .375 H&H, and are from both hot and cold testing, depending on the round's intended use. (Of course, there are other chapters in the book, for a total of 58.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I find it interesting how temp. sensitivity varies with some cartridges.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Also primers, and powder compression.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the reminder of where that article is. I need to re-read that book, especially that chapter. When I got it, I read it front to back. Isn’t that the Gack book that has 280AI info too?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Not MD but have GGII and it does have 280 AI info in it page 359.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by gldprimr
Not MD but have GGII and it does have 280 AI info in it page 359.

Yep, have owned and hunted with several.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Eileen wants to thank all who ordered. Their books are on the way!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That means I gotta go clean my glasses. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Are those prescription or "reading"? Had my cataracts taken care of a couple years ago, and since then have collected quite an array of cheap readers of varying power, scattered all over the house....

John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I need to correct Mule Deer on our shipping: I would love to offer priority shipping in the US for free, but we're trying to keep costs down. Instead, we offer free media shipping in the US--about $5 for Gun Gack 2, on top of the sale price.

And while I'm here, thank you all for buying our books and I want to wish all my fellow moms, grandmas and step-moms a happy Mother's Day. I hope you all enjoy your new Gun Gack and wild game cookbooks. (I really love making jerky this time of year!)

Leenie3Freezers/Eileen MuleDeer

www.riflesandrecipes.com Or call me @406-521-0273

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I screwed up.

Or at least my typing fingers did. The book-shipping included in the price on the website has always been media-mail.....

It generally takes 2-4 days longer for media-mail to get there, depending on how far the customer is from Montana.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer, it was a great day when my cataracts surgery healed. It wasn't the easiest thing trying to sight in a rifle half blind. Here plain lenses are covered under medical, but bifocals are extra. I was told they could give problems as well. So I went with single vision, distance .When I went back to the optimist for bifocals, he also improved my distance vision.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’m through chapter 2 and I’m smiling! Good work!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks! Did you make it to Chapter 3 yet?

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, just finished chapter 9. In some ways we have traveled the same path. I haven’t used a sizing die with the neck expander installed in about 25 years. 👌

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Mule Deer, it was a great day when my cataracts surgery healed. It wasn't the easiest thing trying to sight in a rifle half blind. Here plain lenses are covered under medical, but bifocals are extra. I was told they could give problems as well. So I went with single vision, distance .When I went back to the optimist for bifocals, he also improved my distance vision.
Up till 25 years ago, I thought everybody elses crosswires were crooked by about 5°. Buddy told me mine were crooked same amt but opposite direction. Cataract surgery, implant without astigmatism, and my crosswires were crooked and my buddy's were now straight with the world. After healing, had to loosen all my rings, fix them, and resight.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
another temp / bullet question for M.D. ? have you noticed copper bullets seem to group and maybe shoot a little flatter then lead type bullets ? or should i say maybe pure copper bullets seem to have less resistance and lead bullets more resistance ? i am kinda wondering about this copper VS lead bullets i have seen / shot some different yardages in hot and cold temperatures where copper bullets seem to work better ? i don`t know really what to think about this ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

I guess I dunno what you're asking. "Shooting flatter" depends on muzzle velocity and ballistic coefficient, given the same atmospheric conditions--not what the bullet's made of.

Does "group" means copper bullets tend to shoot smaller groups?

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes almost seems groups are more consistently smaller with copper bullets, and i wonder if ballistics has anyone ever done a study on copper bullet ballistics compared to lead bullets ? or is that a question for Mr. Litz ? electrons will flow thru copper easier than lead so would that matter thru air ,temp even wind making copper a better bullet ? or hasn`t there been much work done on that yet . or bullet pressure thru a barrel with different types of metal bullets ? i know armor piercing bullets gives a lot of pressure ,so would copper bullets give less pressure than normal lead bullets ? i am not sure i am asking the right kinda of questions about copper bullets ? maybe i should call you ? thanks,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
One reason for groups being smaller with copper bullets is unlike some lead-cores, they're perfectly balanced, due to not having jackets that can vary slightly in thickness.

If you want to talk about electron-flow as a potential piece of the puzzle, you should contact Bryan Litz. He's the guy with the degree in aerospace engineering.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,016
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.