Print Thread
Hop To
#18412328 05/10/23
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
There was a thread on this a while back but I can't find it.

Been nearsighted with most of my life.
I'm used to glasses and taking them off for close work.

Anyone do am astigmatism multifocal implant? Worth it over just fixing the cataracts and staying with glasses.

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was very nearsighted.

Elected to fix distance and the little astigmatism without multifocal.

This was about 2.5 years ago, I've been very satisfied with that decision.

Everybody is different, my local doc and the surgeon steered me toward distance and astigmatism fix without multifocal. Also decided to go with a surgeon that used a laser in the process of old lens removal. More money but better odds of perfect outcome.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
My wife had both eyes done she is pleased with the results.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM Jag.

He was a wealth of knowledge when I had mine.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wife just got the lenses, she loves it. She was scared, but it was pretty easy.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by lostleader
There was a thread on this a while back but I can't find it.

Been nearsighted with most of my life.
I'm used to glasses and taking them off for close work.

Anyone do am astigmatism multifocal implant? Worth it over just fixing the cataracts and staying with glasses.

Thanks.
I'll tell you a story about my father.

he wore glasses since the age of five. but could take them off to read. been long about the age of 60 early 60s he cannot pass the driver's test one I was 20/80 the other I was 20/200.
pretty much blind in one eye and couldn't see out the other. he then done the cataract surgery and lens implant where they took a laser and shattered the entire lens and put in a new one. took him a couple weeks but he never wore glasses again except at that point to read... he was pretty grouchy at first getting used to things but after he did I don't think there was any regrets at all..

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My wife just had hers done, she is very happy, especially not having to wear glasses. Covered by Medicare
She also has astigmatism fixed at the same time.
Not covered by Medicare, they consider it cosmetic, so that part was out of pocket.

Last edited by TBREW401; 05/10/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got the cataracts fixed and did the lenses which were out of pocket … worth every penny !

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Near sighted my whole life and got tuned up for distance in both eyes. Great distance vision now, but I need glasses for reading. Wish the technology had been around when I was a kid.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/10/23.

1Minute
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by EQFD193
I got the cataracts fixed and did the lenses which were out of pocket … worth every penny !

+1

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had lazer surgery done in early 2000. My right eye is going backwards a bit but the left is hanging in there. The eye doctor says I'm getting cataracts. He says in a couple of years I will need new lenses. I certainly hope it fixes the astigmatism. When I use iron sights I see 2 front sight posts and not one, even with glasses.

If you can get an eye surgery that fixes astigmatism and all you need is some cheap reading glasses, I'd get rid of the astigmatism. If you can do both, I'd be willing to fix both.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A word of warning. Your doctor didn't tell you that a small percentage of people have trouble. Last year I had surgery on my left eye and was scheduled for the other eye in 3 weeks, but when I went for the checkup on the 1st eye I had some swelling ,so we wait for it to go down . This was in April of 22.it is now may of 23 and I am still waiting , it is supposed to be 20 on their scale and I am 24. It's a real pain in the ass ,to bounce between looking thru glasses with only one lens because the left eye is clear and distance sight is good but 23 on their scale and the right is cloudy but has the lens for close up sight. I go back to check every 4 weeks and we wait and put drops in every day welcome to the 2 percent that doesn't work right

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by EQFD193

Same here.

It’s hard to believe that a procedure lasting only 15 minutes can have such a positive effect on one’s life.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I wouldn't fear the Sx if done by a great surgeon who does 20 -30 a week but people still get screwed up by surgeons not worth a pluck.

When I retired, the IOLs that we used and were available were still not advanced enough as multifocals to provide sharp, clear distance and near vision and had halos negatively interfere with night driving.

I don't mind wearing weak glasses as I appreciate the protection they provide and having spent a great deal of time outdoors and in brush country hunting or fishing at night they have saved me from ocular injuries on several occasions.

I didn't need vision correction until after starting college and doing long hours of studying caused mild myopia.

I could see well enough to drive without glasses but preferred crisp vision with them. It was nice after presbyopia hit after tbe mid forties as i could take the glasses off to see perfect at near. Of course, invisible progressives let me see crisp at near and distance.

For that reason I intend to have the surgeon use Single vision IOLs in each eye to give the most sharp distance vision for outdoors, rather than multifocals. I plan to have the surgeon use iols that will result in me being about 1.25 Diopters Myopic as that will let me see well enough to drive or watch TV without specs and still be able to see well enough at close range to read a bit. IOW, I plan to continue wearing specs after Sx to have the clearest vision far and near.

I will consider the multiform IOLs if the younger eye surgeons I practiced with and treated patients with will assure me more improvements in multifocal design allow perfectly crisp distance and near vision.

Good fortune.

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/10/23.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Reichenbach Falls

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
A word of warning. Your doctor didn't tell you that a small percentage of people have trouble. Last year I had surgery on my left eye and was scheduled for the other eye in 3 weeks, but when I went for the checkup on the 1st eye I had some swelling ,so we wait for it to go down . This was in April of 22.it is now may of 23 and I am still waiting , it is supposed to be 20 on their scale and I am 24. It's a real pain in the ass ,to bounce between looking thru glasses with only one lens because the left eye is clear and distance sight is good but 23 on their scale and the right is cloudy but has the lens for close up sight. I go back to check every 4 weeks and we wait and put drops in every day welcome to the 2 percent that doesn't work right

I would definitely NOT have the second eye operated by the same guy.

Swelling indicates excessive trauma to the eye during the surgical procedure due to poor techn or excessive time during surgery that the eye was kept open and the wound not closed due to an insufficiently skilled surgeon.

That trauma could be to the cornea, corneal edema or to the macula, macular edema. Something didn't go right. Steroids and meds preoperative should have prevented macular edema unless trauma was excessive. Trauma to the cornea should never happen unless you had corneal disease resulting in increased risk which should have been discussed before sx if present.
I would definitely see another cataract surgeon and complain of having poor vision in the postoperative eye and find out what the problem is and the percent risk of that normally occurring.

You may have a condition that needs surgical intervention and the guys capable of doing such work on a postoperative eye are rare. If your surgeon isn't great he may let a traumatic condition continue hoping it resolves when postponing intervention may result in the progressive deterioration of the ocular tissues involved to the point of a blind eye or worse, a blind and painful eye.

I'd be getting a second opinion post haste.

Good fortune and GOD bless.

Last edited by jaguartx; 05/10/23.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
PS, thanks Dr Jeff Hatari.

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I had both mine done for distance 1 standard and one high rent one because that eye had some issues. Very pleased, bought 6 pr. of dollar store readers for around the house and shop, life is good, except for some areas of vision that are gone for good. But that was another issue. What I had done fixed everything that could be fixed.

MOLON LABE
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Tough decisions.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

363 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 117LBS, 1lessdog, 36 invisible), 14,948 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,333
Posts18,546,151
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.