Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If this doesn't bring Deflave back, nothing will.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
better question: Is Mas Ayoob still relevant.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dirty Harry has an opinion on that.

Me and my RSB could shoot 5 shot 2” groups offhand at 50 yds. Ain’t happening with an autojammer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 05/10/23.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll always have a use for a J frame

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I agree with him. It's still a fine choice, if you put in the effort with them at the range. Only drawback is capacity.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You might only have 6 shots but it only takes 1, best to train until you only need 1 and save 5 if there are others who need one too. They also still make speed loaders. If you don't train to one and done level it might take everyone in the mag as well as the backup mag. Obvious Dan allready knows that. skills Trump high cap every time. Way I see it. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'll always have a use for a J frame

LOL.

You would.

Women everywhere use those.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did not watch the video but revolvers are more reliable. In all the years we qualified with revolvers there was never a jam or failure to fire with S&W revolvers. After they issued Sig Sauer .45s there was never a time we did not have jams or failures somewhere on the line.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm a big fan of revolvers. I've got Colts, Rugers, and quite a few Smith & Wessons.

But a relatively ugly plastic framed Ruger Security 9 stays close when I'm around the house. It fits my hand well, holds 15 rounds and will place them pretty close to where you point it. It might jam someday, but it hasn't yet.

I'm also a fan of walnut and steel lever rifles. But a plastic Kel-Tec SU-16 holding a 30 round magazine is never far away.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Me and my RSB could shoot 5 shot 2” groups offhand at 50 yds. Ain’t happening with an autojammer.

Digital Dan;
Top of the morning to you my cyber friend, I trust your section of the south is getting as nice a day as it appears we're going to have up here in the south valley today and that you're all well.

Your post reminded me of a day at the range many years ago, when a coworker of my wife's and I met to make some noise.

He'd brought out a brand new then S&W 40 that was similar to what the California Highway Patrol had just adopted - maybe a 4006? With either brand of ammo he'd brought, the best either one of us could do at 25yds was 6" groups.

Truly he was more of a gun collector/accumulator than a shooter and was muttering about "that's why I don't like shooting pistols" whereupon I spied a very nice blued 29 in his range bag.

I asked him if he had ammo for it and he brought out a box of something that's lost to memory now, but factory jacketed something.

There was a small gong hanging at 75yds that was 10" long and about 6" wide, which I pointed out to him and correspondingly made him laugh with less what I took to be not confidence in my getting close to it.

Again this is an old guy remembering a story Dan, but after I'd figured out the sight picture, I could ring the gong about 4 time out of each cylinder, sometimes 5 but I don't believe I ever made a perfect run.

There were some rocks on the bank at the back of the range which were more or less 120yds and when I was able to hit a couple of them for him, he was amazed.

Oh - I should add that I'd put enough lead into those rocks over the years with a .357 that I knew I could do it with the correct hold and tool for the job.

Anyways, his comment as we packed up was more or less, "Now I have an answer when someone asks me the difference between an auto pistol and a good revolver!" laugh

For sure Dan, we must remember that I had 20 something year old eyes too back then, as well as spent a whole lot of my free time shooting .22 handgun silhouette on that range so it wasn't my first rodeo at it.

Thanks for dredging up the memories of that range session from so long ago, I appreciate it.

All the best to you all down south sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Say what you want, Massad Ayoob is a very knowledgeable guy on the subject of handguns and self defense. He’s also an expert witness who has helped get acquittals on many self defense cases.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
You might only have 6 shots but it only takes 1, best to train until you only need 1 and save 5 if there are others who need one too. They also still make speed loaders. If you don't train to one and done level it might take everyone in the mag as well as the backup mag. Obvious Dan allready knows that. skills Trump high cap every time. Way I see it. Mb
Better to have both, though.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I'm also a fan of walnut and steel lever rifles. But a plastic Kel-Tec SU-16 holding a 30 round magazine is never far away.
You're lucky to have one of those that works. Cool guns, but they are hit and miss on whether you get one that works right.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

When I first started shooting Metallic Silhouettes Competition (IHMSA) in the early 80’s, I used my Ruger Super BlackHawk. Amazing how accurate they are. Hitting steel Ram targets at 200 yards was no problem with a little practice.
If there was a tie in the match scores, we shot the Steel Turkey targets at 200 yards in the shoot off.
Standing, free hand, with no rest in the shoot offs to break the tie.

The only Semiautomatic handguns that I’ve owned that were as accurate as my Ruger SBH revolver, was my Les Baer Custom 1911 in 45 acp, Glock Model 20 in 10mm, and a Kimber Match 1911 in 10mm.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/10/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
My use for revolvers is limited to hunting and/or pest control.. I'd not carry one, personally..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I'm a big fan of revolvers. I've got Colts, Rugers, and quite a few Smith & Wessons.

But a relatively ugly plastic framed Ruger Security 9 stays close when I'm around the house. It fits my hand well, holds 15 rounds and will place them pretty close to where you point it. It might jam someday, but it hasn't yet.

I’m a big revolver fan too. Always have been. Especially of Colt & Ruger single actions, and K and N Frame S&W’s.

But for defense carry and home defense, I’ll take my Glocks with HiCap mags with a light / laser combo for the house, and either my Sig P365 or Springfield Hellcat for concealed carry.

I also love my Winchester & Marlin Lever guns.
But for Defense, I’ll take an AR Carbine everyday and twice on Sunday. Or an 870 12ga Riot Gun.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I prefer a revolver for front pocket carry. The shape of the revolver is superior for that.

The “relevant” firearm is the one you have and will carry.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
When I can carry a full sized sidearm, it's a semi auto pistol in either .45 acp or 10mm in an urban/suburban setting. When I can't carry such a weapon due to weather conditions/clothing limitations, it's a Colt Detective Special .38 snubbie in a front pants pocket holster. I don't really care for pocket .380/9mm semi-auto pistols.

If I'm in a more rural/outdoor setting, I prefer a 4" barreled ruger GP100 in 10mm, with a spare loaded moon clip in a belt pouch along side it. A shot might be at a longer distance in such a setting, and I'm much better past 20 yards with a revolver than a semi auto.

It all comes down to what you know you're most proficient with in a given situation.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
TRH I never said squat about keltecs that was Bristoes comment. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

I just bought an 8 shot 627. A little practice with a speed loader and its every bit as effective as a 1911 (8 shots).

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (1minute, 264mag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 222ND, 28 invisible), 14,403 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,947
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.