Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Interesting for sure. Went to a bpcr one mile shoot, the distance line of sight was a surveyed exact 1 mile. It took 354 moa elevation and varying amounts of windage of which 2.5 moa were just for precession to connect with my 45-110. 540 gr paper patched bullet 108 grs Fg Goex with an mv of about 1350. How much that windage and elevation added to the length I don't know but it would take right at 7 seconds to get there. Yeah it was fun .mb
Wow! And I thought bullets took some time to get to the targets when I used to shoot pistol silhouette! That must seem like you could shoot and go have lunch before the bullet hit the target.
mathman- even with the rainbow trajectory of the OP's parameters I wouldn't be surprised if the total flight distance is not a lot greater than the straight line distance. No calculations involved, just SWAG.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Interesting for sure. Went to a bpcr one mile shoot, the distance line of sight was a surveyed exact 1 mile. It took 354 moa elevation and varying amounts of windage of which 2.5 moa were just for precession to connect with my 45-110. 540 gr paper patched bullet 108 grs Fg Goex with an mv of about 1350. How much that windage and elevation added to the length I don't know but it would take right at 7 seconds to get there. Yeah it was fun .mb
Wow! And I thought bullets took some time to get to the targets when I used to shoot pistol silhouette! That must seem like you could shoot and go have lunch before the bullet hit the target.
mathman- even with the rainbow trajectory of the OP's parameters I wouldn't be surprised if the total flight distance is not a lot greater than the straight line distance. No calculations involved, just SWAG.

And I am certain that if it really mattered one iota Dr. Mann, Hatcher, Whelen or some other super dude would have published a formula for such.

Swifty
F
fjlee Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
F
Mathman......

Heh, heh....I'm working with an "outside source"....."OS"...and after some starts and some stops.....got an answer.

The OS answer/solution.....has me..... I guess I am skeptical. Therefore, I also won't reveal what the OS says. At least not right now.

I don't want to taint or prejudice any future efforts by anyone.

And their method, which was presented in detail.....got lost when my computer blinked. I never got it printed out. Now I seem to be unable to make contact with my "outside source".....but I really really do want to print/record their effort.

We'll see.....and I do appreciate the interest and comments. It helps me think!!!!

FjLee in Denver, CO

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by mathman
There was no worry or concern, it was just an interesting question I thought I'd take a whack at answering.

It seems like coming across as a grumpy asshole has become part of your modus operandi.

Mine too lately, surely it would be easier to calculate in metric. Hah!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Would it be something like adding the midrange height, the drop after the midrange height, the correction distance needed for the wind from max windage at both ends calculated on arced tapers?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Unnamed OS, hah. Let’s just change field goals from 50 yards to 61.5 yards due to arc. How’s about we change the 22 ft 1 inch 3 point shot to 24.6 ft due to arc of the bball. Change the distance of the pitch from the mound due arc. Worthless.
Beginning to think Larry Root.

Swifty
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I think you could come close by imagining a straight line between the muzzle and the target. Then drop another line that goes from the highest point along the flight path to intersect the muzzle-target line at a right angle.

That would give two right triangles and by adding the hypotenuse of the two right triangles you could approximate the flight distance.

At the range you’re dealing with, those triangles are going to be very tiny slivers. So tiny as to be inconsequential.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Estimating with a circle with end points at 0, 600yds and the 3rd pt as (342,2.9) [the numbers from the above post] the arc length is 600.04 yds. or 600yds + 1.44"

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Have you done such a calc?

Nope, I let fools like you delve into minuscule matters. It’s actually not a valid worry. 600 yard zero, I worry more about windage than elevation. With a 5 mph wind it added 58.6 inches windage in other words over 50% of the elevation.

There was no worry or concern, it was just an interesting question I thought I'd take a whack at answering.

It seems like coming across as a grumpy asshole has become part of your modus operandi.

Yep you be a grumpy azz hole. Throw out a I am better than you and yes I will call em like I see them. I called it a minuscule matter not worthy. And according to the last post it isn’t. Whether he is correct or not I am still not surprised as to how unimportant it really is.

Originally Posted by mtnfisher
Estimating with a circle with end points at 0, 600yds and the 3rd pt as (342,2.9) [the numbers from the above post] the arc length is 600.04 yds. or 600yds + 1.44"

Last edited by Swifty52; 05/10/23.

Swifty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I think you could come close by imagining a straight line between the muzzle and the target. Then drop another line that goes from the highest point along the flight path to intersect the muzzle-target line at a right angle.

That would give two right triangles and by adding the hypotenuse of the two right triangles you could approximate the flight distance.

At the range you’re dealing with, those triangles are going to be very tiny slivers. So tiny as to be inconsequential.

You've approximated the curve with two chords. What I did was use a ballistics calculator to give me the heights at 25 yard increments calculated 24 chord lengths to sum. The lengthening added to the 600 yard straight line distance does seem very small.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yep you be a grumpy azz hole. Throw out a I am better than you (Where did I do that? I asked if you had done a similar calculation to see if you found out a similar small figure. That's all.) and yes I will call em like I see them. I called it a minuscule matter (which I also think it is if my number is correct) not worthy (Worthy of what? Thinking about? Are you the arbiter of what questions people can look into?). And according to the last post it isn’t. Whether he is correct or not I am still not surprised as to how unimportant it really is.

F
fjlee Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
F
I'm the guy who posted the original question. I think I omitted one parameter.

I don't know if "standard atmospheric conditions" assumes zero wind velocity.

Therefore my possible omission is that my stated problem assumes zero wind velocity.

Therefore, no "come ups" or windage "hold offs" involved in my query.

Folks, "Thank you" for the interesting responses.

I hope there are more.

FjLee Denver,CO

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I assumed zero wind drift for my approximation. That way the trajectory would lie in a plane and I could easily calculate the lengths of the approximating chords.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep you be a grumpy azz hole. Throw out a I am better than you (Where did I do that? I asked if you had done a similar calculation to see if you found out a similar small figure. That's all.) and yes I will call em like I see them. I called it a minuscule matter (which I also think it is if my number is correct) not worthy (Worthy of what? Thinking about? Are you the arbiter of what questions people can look into?). And according to the last post it isn’t. Whether he is correct or not I am still not surprised as to how unimportant it really is.

Not worthy of my time, don’t give a damn about arbitrating the question. I had to fire up my laptop anyways so I ran the number in ballistic explorer and Infinity, graphed it out by the yard, I could see it didn’t mean squat. You and the OP both refused to say what your numbers were and all I said was I wouldn’t be surprised, why because I could see it in the graph.

Swifty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
As soon as I get to the other computer I'll put up what I found. It is very small.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
all I said was I wouldn’t be surprised, why because I could see it in the graph.

That would have been a nice earlier addition to the conversation. grin

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by navlav8r

You've approximated the curve with two chords. What I did was use a ballistics calculator to give me the heights at 25 yard increments calculated 24 chord lengths to sum. The lengthening added to the 600 yard straight line distance does seem very small.

Yep. That was my intent and just trying to keep it simple for my brain. 24 data points would be more precise like shooting more shots in a group, huh? 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
all I said was I wouldn’t be surprised, why because I could see it in the graph.

That would have been a nice earlier addition to the conversation. grin

How’s about we call a truce 😁

Swifty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sounds good to me!

My estimate turns out to be a whole 1.5" extra on the 600 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds good to me!

My estimate turns out to be a whole 1.5" extra on the 600 yards.

👍

Swifty
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,471
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.