-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Me and a couple friends take a trip to Wva the same week every year. Fish Greenbrier river and tributaries, knapps creek, Cranberry, Elk , Williams and Cherry river and occasionally Buffalo, Seneca, Watoga and Summit lake . Weather didn't cooperate this year. Record snow in the mountains for this time of year. Still a good trip . Caught a pile of trout a few smallmouth and ate very well
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Troutnut; 05/06/23.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love smallmouth. Catch many in the New. And yes the spring snow really piled up.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That looks like an awesome time in gorgeous country man I love it congrats on a wonderful experience thanks for sharing!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
That looks like an awesome time in gorgeous country man I love it congrats on a wonderful experience thanks for sharing!
You're welcome. Always a good trip

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like fun!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Looks like a great trip you guys got going on. Where’s all the golden rainbows thought the state was loaded with them.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
Looks like fun!
Always a good trip
Originally Posted by Solitario_Lupo
Looks like a great trip you guys got going on. Where’s all the golden rainbows thought the state was loaded with them.
It's quite a few usually. We caught a few others but I didn't put pictures of everything on. They're a pain in the a$$ at times. Everyone can see them so everyone throws at them and can get really finicky

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] a few more

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
did you guys rent a cabin as base camp....

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gene270
did you guys rent a cabin as base camp....
Yeah we did. We've stayed in Richwood and Marlinton mainly. Stayed in Cass Wv this time and it worked out well. Nice central location for most rivers and under $600 a week

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Troutnut

I’m lucky if I get one a season. They are a very picky trout. Great catch. I would love to get a stringer full like that.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Looks like a great trip. Bait? Lures? I’ve been experimenting with downsized lures that I would normally use for steelhead. I use a 9 foot ultralight and a float and small jig. Basically nymphing with a spinning rod.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Looks like a great trip. Bait? Lures? I’ve been experimenting with downsized lures that I would normally use for steelhead. I use a 9 foot ultralight and a float and small jig. Basically nymphing with a spinning rod.
We use mainly 7 1/2-9' ultralight rods , Shimano Sahara 500 reels and SOS 4lb mono. Pretty good all around setup. I use the same setup in Erie on steelhead and it handles them as long as you have room to fight them. Lures would have be 1/4 oz Joe flies, Berkeley trout worms on a 1/32oz jig head , Atomic teasers, Gulp minnows and if we got hard up powerbait.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I use the bodies from the Trout Magnet kits on a 1/16 oz jig head of matching color, or a 1/16 or 1/32 Woolybugger jig when fishing with a float. The smaller Gulp! Minnows are killer on browns.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
I use the bodies from the Trout Magnet kits on a 1/16 oz jig head of matching color, or a 1/16 or 1/32 Woolybugger jig when fishing with a float. The smaller Gulp! Minnows are killer on browns.
Gulp minnows are like candy to browns, brookies and the tiger trout .

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've been using those 1" gulp minnows on trout magnet jig heads with good success, even on rainbows, though they don't hit it as quick as Brooke or Browns.

Looks like a great trip, congrats!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Troutnut

Man! That’s awesome! Most of the fishing I do is in Canada. It’s clear that I’m passing up great fishing, on the ones I want to catch, very close to home! Congrats! You guys have it dialed in!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 907brass, 300_savage, akpls, 10 invisible), 1,345 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,932
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.