Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys. I don't know how many of you have tried these, but they are damn nice. They are described as "brand new original pattern sight hoods", and they fit like a glove and look great. Beveled on both sides and very nicely finished. Basically a new pre 64 model 70 sight hood.

My smith used to always tell me, "an original is a 40 dollar bill". Well, these are $25.00. I paid $22.50 ea, since I bought 2 to try out. These guys sell them on ebay, gunbroker, and gunsinternational. If you haven't given them a try, I highly suggest them:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I pulled the ugly matte finished one off of my new 270 std, as it was out of place on that rifle. The new one looks and fits much better. Give one a try, you won't be disappointed.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for the heads up. I need one for the 270 I got for my son a bit back. I’ll have to look and see if I am missing any others.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Thanks for the heads up. I need one for the 270 I got for my son a bit back. I’ll have to look and see if I am missing any others.

Yep, no problem. I forgot to mention that the shipping on these is $4.95. If you buy 3, they are $21.25 each. Pretty good deal buddy.. I have no affiliation with them, just giving a shout out.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I still find it ironic that many hoods on "using" M70 rifles/tools ended up in the trash or in a drawer. The rifles look nice with them (and I like them, too) but they were taken off the rifles for a reason... they distracted in a low powered scope view, they got "caught" in a scabbard or case and inflicted at minimum some frustration in the rifleman or at worst caused some delay in getting a shot off on a 38" mule deer trophy!!!

Todays shooters/hunters are different. Less practical? Maybe but it probably has to do with the current "worship" (me included!) of these old M70's and the hidden desire for "museum pieces" for most of us vs specimens with tats, bolt-ons, or other aftermarket add-ons. Give me "original equipment!!!"

I do know one thing, those hoods did not fall off or disappear on their own. They were actively removed by a more practical generation...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I know some N. WI. old timers who used open sights back in the day took them off because they would clog up with snow.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lundtroller
I still find it ironic that many hoods on "using" M70 rifles/tools ended up in the trash or in a drawer. The rifles look nice with them (and I like them, too) but they were taken off the rifles for a reason... they distracted in a low powered scope view, they got "caught" in a scabbard or case and inflicted at minimum some frustration in the rifleman or at worst caused some delay in getting a shot off on a 38" mule deer trophy!!!

Todays shooters/hunters are different. Less practical? Maybe but it probably has to do with the current "worship" (me included!) of these old M70's and the hidden desire for "museum pieces" for most of us vs specimens with tats, bolt-ons, or other aftermarket add-ons. Give me "original equipment!!!"

I do know one thing, those hoods did not fall off or disappear on their own. They were actively removed by a more practical generation...

Good post. I remember the first one I had to buy. The damn thing got ripped off of my 338wm, in the brush when elk hunting. So, they can come off when you don't want them to. Depending on how well they grip the front sight.
I've seen some loose ones, like the original that was on my 338 shown above. The ones from Ocala fit tight:

To my eye, at least, a pre 64 model 70 just does not look right without the front sight hood. Without the front sight hood, they just look like they are missing something:
270 fwt as I bought it last week^^^ It is now wearing the matte finished original that was on the std wt 270.

All of my rifles have them. YMMV..

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just sayin'.

I like them, too and like the look of these that you are referring to as well!

One bad "functional" experience with one could make a guy change his mind though. On another note, I don't ever remember not being able to see the front sight (at least with "young" eyes!) because of glare, etc. which is why I would imagine they were put on in the first place. Perhaps they enhance the function of older eyes like a smaller rear peep aperture does... will have to test that theory even though I think I know the answer to that one!

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Another purpose of a front sight hood is to protect the front sight

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Another purpose of a front sight hood is to protect the front sight

Yes sir. Do you think it was carried over from the military rifle days? My M96 has a good front sight hood as well:

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the heads up. Why has it taken so long for someone to make these!!!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Thanks for the heads up. Why has it taken so long for someone to make these!!!

Copyright infringement, I'm assuming. That's why other manufactures left one end squared, and not angled like the originals.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd be mildly surprised if that was copyrighted, never thought of it before. Thanks for the tip BSA, I totally agree with you that these rifles need a hood if there's a sight on the end of the barrel. I can't stand to look at one without.

Last edited by BKinSD; 05/17/23.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
First of all, a piece of equipment cannot be copyrighted. Perhaps you were thinking of patented.

Second of all, any patent would have expired years ago.

Probably just not enough business value for someone to mess with it. $25 times what, 3000 guns that might need one at most? With a profit of $10 each after design and mfg.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Stammster
First of all, a piece of equipment cannot be copyrighted. Perhaps you were thinking of patented.

Second of all, any patent would have expired years ago.

Probably just not enough business value for someone to mess with it. $25 times what, 3000 guns that might need one at most? With a profit of $10 each after design and mfg.

If they were not making money, they would not be wasting their time. I'm pretty sure none of us, including you know how many they sell in a years time. I'm going to venture a guess and say it's quite a bit. Also, when a patent is still valid, manufactures can make similar products, but it can not be exactly the same. The reason they leave one end square. It's probably not because they are fu cking stupid and don't know what they look like. Just sayin.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 25 invisible), 1,733 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,368
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.