Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Trump cancels because of the potential for weather, but Ron DeSantis steps in to greet Trump's followers.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/de...cels-iowa-rally-causing-online-firestorm

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis met with Iowa voters in Des Moines after former President Donald Trump canceled his event there, sparking debate about the reason for Trump's change of plans.

After a packed day of events in Sioux Center and Cedar Rapids, DeSantis made a surprise trip to Des Moines to talk to voters at Jethro’s BBQ Southside, just minutes from where Trump cited the potential for severe weather in canceling his planned Des Moines rally.

DeSantis, who has not yet announced a bid for president and has avoided directly addressing the former president, appeared to take a jab at Trump while in Des Moines, remarking that it was a "beautiful night."

Ron and Casey DeSantis Des Moines Iowa
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and his wife Casey DeSantis speak at Jethro's BBQ Southside in Des Moines, Iowa. (DeSantis Political Team)

"My better half and I have been able to be all over Iowa today, but before we went back to Florida we wanted to come by and say hi to the people of Des Moines," DeSantis told those gathered at the BBQ joint, according to the New York Times. "So thank you all for coming out. It’s a beautiful night, it’s been a great day for us."

The surprise appearance came after Trump's planned rally in Des Moines was abruptly canceled Saturday. While the campaign cited tornado watches and the potential for severe weather, the explanation drew skepticism from Iowa officials and speculation online that the former president may have feared a smaller than expected crowd at the event.

"In the interest of the safety for everyone in Iowa at the sold-out event in Des Moines, due to the National Weather Service’s Tornado Watch in effect in Polk and surrounding counties, we were unfortunately forced to postpone the event. We will be there at the first available date," Trump campaign spokesperson Steven Cheung told Fox News Digital in a Sunday afternoon email.

"Trump is dominating in poll after poll – both nationally and statewide," he continued. "There is nobody else who can generate the type of enthusiasm and support like he can. There were thousands of supporters who had RSVP'd for the rally, which would have eclipsed the tiny crowds others are so proud of."

Trump's campaign Twitter account tweeted out a video following the cancellation of the Des Moines rally showing campaign staff going to the house of an elderly couple who support Trump. The campaign staff had hats and other gear for the couple and put Trump on the phone with them, where he thanked them for their support and said he looks forward to seeing them and that he wants them to "stay healthy."

"I wanted to see you today, but a little thing called tornadoes, they prevailed," Trump said.

However, hours later DeSantis was standing on a table bench to address an enthusiastic gathering of about 150 people, boasting about his record in Florida and the work being done in Iowa, saying the results could be repeated across the country. DeSantis then posed for photographs with supporters.

"If you’re willing to deliver results, the people are there," DeSantis said. "They’ll follow because they just want to see a better future. We’ve done that in Florida. They have done that in Iowa. We are going to have a chance pretty soon to make sure that that’s done in every state in this country."

The impromptu appearance capped a busy day in the Hawkeye State, where the first votes of the 2024 Republican primary will be cast.

While DeSantis has yet to officially launch a bid for president, polls show he is the main challenger to Trump's path to the nomination should he decide to run.

DeSantis with supporters in Des Moines
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis poses for photographs with supporters in Des Moines. (DeSantis Political Team)

The Florida governor has already earned the endorsements of some high-profile Iowa Republicans, including state Senate President Amy Sinclair and state House Majority Leader Matt Windschitl. He unveiled over 30 other endorsements ahead of his Iowa visit. The Trump campaign has also released a list of several endorsements in Iowa in recent months.

Last edited by drop_point; 05/14/23.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If he had done the rally and there was a twister within 50 miles of it, the Leftoid news media would have said he'd endangered people to feed his ego. Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Can’t have a rally with a tornado warning.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by reivertom
If he had done the rally and there was a twister within 50 miles of it, the Leftoid news media would have said he'd endangered people to feed his ego. Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

You're certainly right about that.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

DP is too stupid to realize that.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Calvin
Can’t have a rally with a tornado warning.

DP can.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jaguartx

DP is too stupid to realize that.

Bwhahahaha where did I say that? I'm just providing a news story. I didn't comment on it at all. Sensitive? In fact, the only commentary I made was in AGREEMENT with the statement that said he was going to be attacked either way. Call off your poodles.

Last edited by drop_point; 05/14/23.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drop_point
I'm just providing a news story. I didn't comment on it at all.

We need more of this kind of mind-dead content here. We don't have enough.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I'm just providing a news story. I didn't comment on it at all.

We need more of this kind of mind-dead content here. We don't have enough.

You've got to play to your audience at their level.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think he avoided the engagement due to concerns of not filling the house due to the weather.

If he had a bunch of empty seats the media would have never mentioned the weather, they'd of just claimed he was loosing his base and failed to draw a crowd.

It was a gamble and he lost, DeSantis won that round and he's gloating about it.

Trump ain't afraid of no tornado warning, we get them with most every thunderstorm here in Florida.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Not a bad analysis. There was no winning it for T-Man.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffA
I think he avoided the engagement due to concerns of not filling the house due to the weather.

Or maybe Trump was simply concerned with people's safety, just like he said. Occam's razor

BTW ........Does this make Trump look desperate?

Last edited by SupFoo; 05/14/23.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Trump/DeSantis 2024. Bet on it.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

I got $100 that says you are wrong.

Are we on?

Last edited by SupFoo; 05/14/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nope.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular

That'll be the day.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Odds?

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Trump cancels because of the potential for weather, but Ron DeSantis steps in to greet Trump's followers.

Are you tiny bit ashamed to do the bidding of a wildly out of control MSM? JFC... what a stupid thread.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

Are you tiny bit ashamed to do the bidding of a wildly out of control MSM? JFC... what a stupid thread.

And you couldn't help but be a part of it, could you? Congratulations, here's your participation trophy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,011
Posts18,500,243
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.