Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Hey all you Model 70 Junkies! I'm contemplating selling this rifle but not exactly sure what might be a fair valuation in today's market.

It's in really good condition. No rust or major dings or scratches. It’s been hunted a bunch but well cared for. New Haven mfg. with control round feed (claw extractor) and jeweled bolt. The detachable box magazine model was only made a single year with CRF (1994)! 5-digit serial number (G323xx). The 24″ barrel has been free floated and recrowned for accuracy. The action was bedded for stability. Trigger has been smoothed and set near a crisp 2 lbs. Stock has a Limbsaver recoil pad. However, it will also come with the original red rubber butt pad. Also comes with TWO EXTRA detachable box magazines that cost $120 each. Two of 3 magazines were resprung by the gunsmith and one is original and unused. Includes Talley Lightweight 1″ scope mounts.

There's not much info out there on these. One 300 win on gunsinternational at Cabelas once $1500 now listed at $1000. What say you guys?

Gotta figure out how to attach these pics now... To follow!

GB1

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E

Last edited by ElkSnort; 05/15/23.
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Couldn't figure out how to transfer pics into this forum directly.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Does anybody have the latest copy of the Blue Book by chance?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sell the rifle with 1 mag and sell the other mags separately. That’s my only piece of advice

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sell the rifle with 1 mag and sell the other mags separately. That’s my only piece of advice

Point taken.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
So I'll probably sell the extra mags a la carte per BSA.

In another thread several weeks ago it was discussed that the .284 Win Classic DBM in good condition could be worth upwards of $2000. But they're quite rare, thus the high price. However mine is the much more common 30-06.

I was surprised to see that this one:
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...0-winchester-magnum.cfm?gun_id=102213741

... was started at $1500. The updated asking price of $1000 seems to be in the ballpark of reality.

Anybody else out there have some informed input on what a fair value is for this rifle?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
ElkSnort, as you probably know, they are not as desirable as other Winchester model 70's. I'd place them below the BOSS models, in fact. Just not real well liked. With that being said, there are always collectors looking to fill a void in their collection. Because of this, you never know how much one will bring. Also, when I hear guys ask about a blue book value on something like this, I have to chuckle, if not just bust the fu ck up laughing. Values are all over the board man. Since you can't find a listing that has been completed on GB, that is not much help, but is usually the first place I look, when assessing value on something like this. If I were "contemplating" selling a rifle, I'd just list it on gunbroker and not look back. Little piece of advice: don't list it here, you will not get much for it. If you have a value in your mind, start it out at that on gunbroker. If it does not sell the first go around, you'll know you have the starting price too high. Re-list it at a slightly lower price and start over. Rinse and repeat.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
ElkSnort, as you probably know, they are not as desirable as other Winchester model 70's. I'd place them below the BOSS models, in fact. Just not real well liked. With that being said, there are always collectors looking to fill a void in their collection. Because of this, you never know how much one will bring. Also, when I hear guys ask about a blue book value on something like this, I have to chuckle, if not just bust the fu ck up laughing. Values are all over the board man. Since you can't find a listing that has been completed on GB, that is not much help, but is usually the first place I look, when assessing value on something like this. If I were "contemplating" selling a rifle, I'd just list it on gunbroker and not look back. Little piece of advice: don't list it here, you will not get much for it. If you have a value in your mind, start it out at that on gunbroker. If it does not sell the first go around, you'll know you have the starting price too high. Re-list it at a slightly lower price and start over. Rinse and repeat.

Feel free to chuckle all you like. Although I'm new to the collecting world (I'm NOT a collector), I'm far from an idiot regarding buying and selling hunting rifles. Yes, I know this is a serious collectors forum. And yes, I know the Blue Book of "B.S." Values can frequently be way off the mark. But I do feel it's something that noobs and non-collectors MIGHT look at as a reference. Especially since there is so little info available on this anomaly of an M70. I'm just trying to put a decent price on it that's fair to a potential buyer, but allows me to maximize my potential. Until I'm informed otherwise, I figure it will be worth no more than typical classic sporters in good condition to most, and possibly less to the average collector (or more to the guy that just needs it to fill the hole). I DO understand to a point why this rifle can be considered less desirable. I get that a DBM just ISN'T what people think of when they say "Rifleman's Rifle". However, I sometimes wonder why collectors wouldn't want such an anomaly/rarity/freak to complete their collection. Especially for the guy that has damn near everything already. It was a factory offerring after all and not some bastard creation. But the market is fickle and people want what they want. And those wants can change at any time. I will likely start out listing it locally as we've got a pretty robust rifle market here. I don't care to deal with GB yet.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
In case anybody is interested, I was able to sell this rifle for $880 locally. That included an extra magazine and Talleys.

And I've still got a third original magazine if somebody out there needs one.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like a win-win ending

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Yes, I feel pretty good about the sale price.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have one, purchased in 94' as you make mention. The only year of manufacture. I've documented everything fully from the Winchester historian Lenny who is no longer there. I have a .300 Winchester Magnum DBM with engraved pistol grip cap made for me by Winchester. I have been thinking of selling lately, but uncertain at the moment. They're rare and the prices are around $3000.00. I have three DBM's with my rifle as an added feature. My Winchester is highly accurate. The generation I believe is the fourth, unsure. I have not followed this for a while. Here is a link where you can find the data and logistics and pricing: "USRAC".
* Naturally, made in New Haven, Connecticut.
** And, the magazines have different letter designations as below.
http://www.pmulcahy.com/bolt-action_sporting_rifles/us_ba_spr_winchester_m70.htm

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Synoptic; 01/06/24.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
Tag

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Synoptic
I have one, purchased in 94' as you make mention. The only year of manufacture. I've documented everything fully from the Winchester historian Lenny who is no longer there. I have a .300 Winchester Magnum DBM with engraved pistol grip cap made for me by Winchester. I have been thinking of selling lately, but uncertain at the moment. They're rare and the prices are around $3000.00. I have three DBM's with my rifle as an added feature. My Winchester is highly accurate. The generation I believe is the fourth, unsure. I have not followed this for a while. Here is a link where you can find the data and logistics and pricing: "USRAC".
http://www.pmulcahy.com/bolt-action_sporting_rifles/us_ba_spr_winchester_m70.htm

The database you link is full of factual errors. It appears almost as if it is AI generated. Who/what produced it?

Edit - I think I understand now.

http://www.pmulcahy.com/misc_pages/faq.htm

From the faq’s

Q: The prices you list don't make any sense. How close to reality are they?

A: They bear no resemblance to reality whatsoever (except possibly by coincidence). They are more a reflection of the items' relative worth in game terms.

Q: Just how crazy are you?

A: We who are mentally ill, as well as our doctors, don’t use the word "crazy" to describe our condition. "Crazy" is more a colloquial term for people who act weird, and is really not very descriptive. I do have a mental illness, a severe one, which is partially managed by medication, but most of the time, I am reasonably well. I am not a danger to other people. The medication, however, gives me memory problems as well as making me tired most of the time, and I tend to sleep because of it 12+ hours a day. (By the way, "nuts" is another such term.)

Last edited by AKwolverine; 01/06/24. Reason: Database from a game
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

The database you link is full of factual errors. It appears almost as if it is AI generated. Who/what produced it?

"You have no idea what you're talking about", 'None'.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Edit - I think I understand now.

http://www.pmulcahy.com/misc_pages/faq.htm

From the faq’s

Q: The prices you list don't make any sense. How close to reality are they?

A: They bear no resemblance to reality whatsoever (except possibly by coincidence). They are more a reflection of the items' relative worth in game terms.

Q: Just how crazy are you?

A: We who are mentally ill, as well as our doctors, don’t use the word "crazy" to describe our condition. "Crazy" is more a colloquial term for people who act weird, and is really not very descriptive. I do have a mental illness, a severe one, which is partially managed by medication, but most of the time, I am reasonably well. I am not a danger to other people. The medication, however, gives me memory problems as well as making me tired most of the time, and I tend to sleep because of it 12+ hours a day. (By the way, "nuts" is another such term.)

*"Seek help immediately"! ** From the U.S. Repeating Arms Company.

Last edited by Synoptic; 01/06/24.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have a very good idea what I’m talking about.

That database is rife with factual errors; and it is not from USRAC.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Personally, I'd like to thank the OP and BSA for info on this post. I am somewhat new to collecting M70's but not new to buying and selling. However, this is the first time in my life that I have ever seen such a creation. I think it's cool as heck. I wonder why this design never took off? Is it because the rifle has been 'the same' for so long and making modifications like this just doesn't suit people? I don't know, but it's a cool rifle anyway, and frankly, if it clover leafs at 100 yards, I don't care what kind of mag it has. I am finding it hard not to dive into a BACO rifle right now just because I don't have any.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Brazosdog
Personally, I'd like to thank the OP and BSA for info on this post. I am somewhat new to collecting M70's but not new to buying and selling. However, this is the first time in my life that I have ever seen such a creation. I think it's cool as heck. I wonder why this design never took off? Is it because the rifle has been 'the same' for so long and making modifications like this just doesn't suit people? I don't know, but it's a cool rifle anyway, and frankly, if it clover leafs at 100 yards, I don't care what kind of mag it has. I am finding it hard not to dive into a BACO rifle right now just because I don't have any.

* Here is a Winchester French Walnut Super Grade I purchased about 2 years ago. Much has changed from the original M70'S Made in USA. However, the quality, fit and finish are still present.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,288
Posts18,486,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.