Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I have never had anyone super close do it.

My step-father's best friend's son shot himself. Sitting on his couch in his living room. Tore that man up.

Classmate of my daughter's dad did it. He helped me coach them in t-ball and coach pitch.

About 2 weeks before the incident, he was standing in my family room getting the coach bag because I was going to be gone for a few days and he was handling the coaching duties. Had a nice chat with him. Got home, took back over. Maybe a week later I hear about him shooting himself. As someone not involved in his family. Didn't really know him other than in passing. But I still had alot of thoughts about my potential responsibility in not seeing it coming and wondering where I messed up. I cannot imagine what families experience who are truly close to the situation.

Montana MOFO

K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Had a twin brother that went that route. Been a number of years ago. I pretty much moved along. His daughters not so much.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I made each of my kids read this when they were pre-teens or early teenagers. Then I made them read it to me out loud and we discussed it as they read it.

https://www.roundupweb.com/story/2016/02/24/opinion/a-mothers-son/7638.html

It is heart-wrenching and an insight into 1 case. It happens to be fairly close to us because the little boy in the story that passed away due to an accident is a friend's son. The same age as my son and they wrestled one another.

I used it to try and teach my kids that there is always opportunity and even when things look horrible, which for a teen is easy to happen, there are people who care and that suicide is not the answer.

As a parent, the emotional swings of a teenager scared me more than anything. The chance that they might make a mistake and decide that they can't go on. Have seen that from a distance a few times.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by cisco1
Are the pressures tougher now a days ?

Simple times are gone.

Pressures tougher? Depends on what that means. There are ugly problems in the world we are no longer allowed to fix. "The man" wants that power, does not want to share, but then refuses to use it. There are appropriate times for vigilante justice and lynch mobs.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have two of my best friends from childhood go that route within a couple of years of each other. Both were in the their mid 40s. One had signs of mental illness for years and one was completely out of the blue. It was equally devastating for both families. I would not want my family to go through what these families went through.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bruinruin
There was a guy on here who posted suicidal thoughts in July 2011. The post and thread is gone, but I remember it well, because he sounded like he was onnthe edge. I had just come from a funeral for a friend who was killed in a work accident and saw firsthand how his death affected those around him. I commented on the impact those grieving friends and family had on me and asked the poster to think about those around him.

That poster hasn't posted since and I'll always wonder if he went through with it.

I’ve thought of that. There are some who would be glad to have me gone!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
That topic always made me think there is every and any number of ways in this race thru life that’ll end it for a person.
I choose not to help it end, let come what may.
I’ve always been a fighter physically and mentally. The grim reaper will win in the end of course, but he’s going to earn it.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AUGrad
Three reasons not to:

1. Suicide is our way of saying I want to quit - now. Everything. When I look back on things I wanted to quit and didn't, it makes me think of all the things I would have missed out on later if I had.
2. We are made in God's image. This makes all human life precious. Even our own.
3. When someone commits suicide, it begins to normalize that behavior for some of those around them, and may cause others that had never considered it an option to consider it. Kids, grandkids, siblings, neighbors, etc. are influenced by this decision in a way many of us never consider.

My dad developed dementia a in 2020, and went from being a strong man that everyone depended on to someone that needed constant care. I had often said I'd rather die that go through that or put anyone else through it. But, now I see that even in his diminished state, he gave each of us a chance to serve him, and offered purpose and encouragement to his caregivers. I still don't want to go out that way, but I can't look back at the last couple of years we had with my dad and say I wish we hadn't had that time with him.

Well said

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have had a first hand experience of the aftermath of suicide.My lovely bride of 38 years committed suicide in April of 2022 after a long bout of Alzheimers disease.I came home and she had shot herself in our garage.This is the first time I have ever spoke of this on a open forum.I can tell you the after affects are devastating on the the folks you leave behind.Please seek help ASAP.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Far too many here are equating Euthanasia with Suicide.

Not even in the same Universe.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Mom has mentioned dying would be her best current option.
@ 87 she tripped over the dishwasher door last Dec., crushed her rt hip.
It was pinned as a temp fix with replacement planned.
She was very healthy physically[always exercised etc, not overweight] but has smoked for 70+ years.
Wouldn't go to rehab due to 'smoking'.
Dr said she'd have to quit for 3 weeks prior to replacement, she made it one week.
we've had multiple discussions re; better off dead.

FJB & FJT
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yeah, depression or ? can make folks choose self exit when they probably shouldnt.

But sometimes its just a practical decision.

Had enough and shut it down.

Of course one might want to consider the mess/ cleanup.

Outside, neutral ground, seems best.

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by coobie
I have had a first hand experience of the aftermath of suicide.My lovely bride of 38 years committed suicide in April of 2022 after a long bout of Alzheimers disease.I came home and she had shot herself in our garage.This is the first time I have ever spoke of this on a open forum.I can tell you the after affects are devastating on the the folks you leave behind.Please seek help ASAP.

Hoping for strength for you.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not to make light on the subject, but one of the most popular tv shows ever MASH the theme song to that show is called
"suicide is painless" for a show that was anti war and death. I always wondered if it was some sort of media brain washing
to make it acceptable or at least an alternative.

Last edited by granitestate1; 05/16/23.

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Had one old foster kid kill himself. Live me with for 4 years from age 8-12 and he ended up killing himself in his early 20's. Plent of pics on this forum of stuff he killed. Then a few months ago a good hunting buddy killed himself. He lived out of state. Went though the normal grieving process. Never have contemplated it for myself.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My buddy blasted himself, had medical that was taking him down fast. Was within his belief system. Took me a long while to get over him leaving.

Just him being gone, method was really no big deal.

Had coworkers self exit, drunk/ drugs, legal woes. Probably made the choice in error. They also made a mess in their houses.......was that to piss off their family members?

Of course some younger folks local have suicided over women problems.

IMHO wanting stuff to stop is different than making stuff stop.

I doubt Ill waste away in a nursing home. If it gets bad will just go to a nice nature spot and use a factory load.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I don’t like the thought of suicide. I’m so grateful for every day. Someone earlier mentioned Euthanasia being different. I have no problem with that. We have all been around long enough to see someone dying a loosing battle and to expect that person to suffer through for the sake of others is for the birds. If that person offs themselves, I won’t consider them amoral or wrong since the battle is something they can’t win and maybe they would want to go sooner rather than later, just before others have to spoon feed, bathe, roll over in bed and wipe their ass. Not every state is ok with Euthanasia so a weapon is practical in that case, but calling it suicide isn’t fair to them.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
If I was to that point, I would go to nature and do it there. I hate the thought of family members cleaning up chunks of brain and tissue from an ordinary peaceful home or vehicle.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by PaintedDesert
I don’t like the thought of suicide. I’m so grateful for every day. Someone earlier mentioned Euthanasia being different. I have no problem with that. We have all been around long enough to see someone dying a loosing battle and to expect that person to suffer through for the sake of others is for the birds. If that person offs themselves, I won’t consider them amoral or wrong since the battle is something they can’t win and maybe they would want to go sooner rather than later, just before others have to spoon feed, bathe, roll over in bed and wipe their ass. Not every state is ok with Euthanasia so a weapon is practical in that case, but calling it suicide isn’t fair to them.

Yup. Some people lump all self exits into one group.
Not differentiating the WHY.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RAM
Far too many here are equating Euthanasia with Suicide.

Not even in the same Universe.

Good point.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 55 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,499 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.