Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by g5m
Re: BillyGoatGruff's post above. Was visiting with a fellow in the grocery checkout line who had a couple of AirBnB's. People came in for something and trashed the place . $100,000 damage, NOT covered by the AirBnB people and his own insurance said ;'No', it's a rental. ... AirBnB's are a scourge around here, imo.

Oof!

All I know is folks around here are making bank. Supposedly less risk than long-term renters in re squatters.

MAGA

O
OGB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Left "home" as soon as I realized I was free to go.

Military sent me all over the world. Had lots of adventures and lived more than anyone I know from "home".

Used to visit often but it's the same people sitting at the same bars complaining about the same things for decades.

No thanks.

Only reason to return is to put my folks in a box.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
NOPE, it ain't the place I left and is only going more downhill with every election!

I can only think of one other state where I might chose to live!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I am the only one of my family to leave Roanoke. Didn’t go far but 4.5 hrs is far enough I suppose.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After ranging over the West packing guiding and cowboying. I moved back to the family ranch. I live in my grandmothers house 100 yards south of my mothers house, renting her house out. It will be easier to explain to grandmaw in the promised land why I turned her house into a dog house than mom. Not nasty just a lot of dirt and dog hair. My ideal home would be a nice dry cave by a river. The Neander runs strong in me.

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Going by the nearest census figures to each event:
When I was born, the population was 736.
When I left it was 683.
Today, it stands at 677. This ranks it as the 11,970th largest city in the United States.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I grew up in rural Wyoming county in PA but spent much of my youth 3 hours away at my uncle's Potter County cabin. Work had me out west for 30 years but when I retired I came home to Potter county to stay, we have state forest land on 3 sides of us and on the other side folks from down country that rarely get up here.. It is really quite and perfect!

Last edited by old_willys; 05/18/23.

Ted
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Just curious how many managed to stay where they grew up. Anybody wanting or wishing to move back where they came from? I came from a small town in PA and there was never much going on there. I hunted, fished and trapped etc... Now I can't believe I lived around that much green country. So many options to be outdoors. VA is one of those states where 99% of the land is owned so options to get outside is very limited and if you go to national forests (3 hours away) the laws prohibit most things like metal detecting.

I took the military route and got stuck in Hampton Roads. Frigging hate this place and wish I could go back home but no jobs. Been thinking about raising cows and doing some other stuff to make up for the lost money if I quit my job. Not like I will be getting a fat retirement from my short time in the federal job system. Currently looking for a full remote job and a star link satellite system located on top of a mountain. Until then, I spend most weekends in Shenandoah and West Virginia. Been looking into starting a couple AirBnB's.

Left west PA in 1980

N E V E R going back

N E V E R

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Port Arthur, Texas was an "All American City" in 1973. Not huge, but it had it all, and was considered one of the best places to live in America at the time.

Last year, it was listed as the second most miserable city in the US, behind Gary, Indiana.

No, I don't live there anymore.

Now I live in a little place listed as "The Whitest Town in America".

I have my reasons.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I left SW PA. Forty years ago and never looked back.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
KSMITH: I hung around the town I was born in for 50 years then I retired and moved to my dream place and have been here for 25 full years now going on 26.
Probably here for the duration we love it so much.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Scout308
I left SW PA. Forty years ago and never looked back.

L I K E

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Port Arthur, Texas was an "All American City" in 1973. Not huge, but it had it all, and was considered one of the best places to live in America at the time.

Last year, it was listed as the second most miserable city in the US, behind Gary, Indiana.

I have my reasons.

No way.........

haven't seen one of those in 5+ yrs

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I have my reasons.

And I'll bet that all of us would agree with the reasons.

Port Arthur - Janis Joplin, right?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Born in Tucson,
Bishop California,
Tucson,
Missoula Montana age 5,
Lolo MT 6-9,
Las Vegas at 10,
Missoula age 11,
Bozeman age 12,
Palmer alaska age 13-20,
Gunnison Colorado, Vista California, Peck Idaho, Great Falls MT age 20-21,
Palmer, Wasilla, North Pole, Valdez age 22-39
Great Falls, MT since then.
Might move to Helena next..........
or Kentucky

Last edited by RMiller2; 05/18/23.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I have my reasons.

Vidor or Jasper ??? 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by g5m
Re: BillyGoatGruff's post above. Was visiting with a fellow in the grocery checkout line who had a couple of AirBnB's. People came in for something and trashed the place . $100,000 damage, NOT covered by the AirBnB people and his own insurance said ;'No', it's a rental. ... AirBnB's are a scourge around here, imo.

I would suggest that is the extreme minority.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Departed SW PA in 1972. I would never move back. To many taxes and toll roads. You could give me a house for free and I still wouldn’t move back.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Grew up in rural nebraska on the farm
Dad was just about bankrupt and holding on by a thread in the 80d I sold my skills as a welder and went west chasing oil work
Ended up on the west coast and did well
For 25 years. Packed it in and left the communism 10 years ago to take over the farm
I miss the big money but not that life

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,324
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.