Hop To
#18437932 05/20/23
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Headed to Alberta next week for a bear hunt. I know Canada has some obscure knife laws. What do I need to know to keep from getting a typical hunting knife confiscated?

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Donโ€™t wear it in the airport.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Donโ€™t wear it in the airport.
Of course. But what about in my checked bag?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Google is your friend. I think switchblades, butterflies??, and other "weaponized" knives are no-no.

I don't know, but I've had no trouble with folders or up to to 4 1/2 inch fixed blades when driving thru. Actually, I've never even given it thought. If it is longer than a foot, you may have a problem.... smile

PS - the kitchen knives in the camper are up to 10", but as said- we have never been questioned...

Last edited by las; 05/20/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I read something about no blades longer than 3โ€!

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A whooooole mess of rules but no body, including cops get to worried about it. Check out Runkle of the Bailly. He's a Canadian criminal & firearms defence Lawyer out of Alberta. He covers all knife, & fire arms rules & regs, even the new chit there trying to ram down our throats. Also covers some past cases of court. Google is your friend........ GWP. ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘ฃ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘ฃ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SDHNTR;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day's behaving down in your section of the world and all within your sphere of caring are well.

Strangely enough, other than no butterfly knives, switchblades or gravity feeds, so far - knocking on wood as I type - our knife laws are not absurd for the most part.

If you're going into a courthouse then there'll be signage to leave all sharp tools in the rig, same with bars for the most part or that was the case 40 years back when I frequented bars.

That's a wee bit of a tip on how blades are viewed here - they are always only tools. We don't carry them for defense, it's for work - pretty much any work will suffice in my experience.

From September to almost Christmas here in semi-rural BC, it's not uncommon to see a whole bunch of guys and ladies in the 711 fueling up and grabbing coffee during hunting season and they are all packing various sizes of fixed blade knives. Nobody raises an eyebrow in my experience.

Unless I'm going into a courthouse, I've often worn a small fixed blade - sort of personal scalpel/splinter/cactus spine remover - and a lock back in my front right hand pocket - as well as a Leatherman Wave. Not once has anyone questioned it ever during multiple interactions with various LEO.

I do make it a practice of having the knife clip showing so nobody can suggest it's concealed.

If we're cruising the bars at 1:00AM, then a constable can suggest they don't need that particular tool at this time since they are in fact not at work. During the day or heading up hunting, camping, fishing, mushroom picking, tree planting, farming, ranching, logging etc - the LEO don't give it a second look. Again this has been my experience.

By all means Ian Runkle covers knife laws up here in these.

Hope that helped a wee bit and good luck on your hunt.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Live in Alberta. Was in Walmart today. Saw two fixed blade belt knives on patrons in the checkout line. No one cares.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Live in Alberta. Was in Walmart today. Saw two fixed blade belt knives on patrons in the checkout line. No one cares.

... if you are convicted with "possession of a prohibited device/weapon" it will cost you your PAL & likely all your guns will be forfeit to the crown

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bump for j_elky (Jeff) !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 2UP, 29 invisible), 2,186 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,515,018
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.