Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
To my eye, I think it refers to the responsibility to maintain your half of a boundary fence.

It is traditional that you walk up to the center of a fence between adjoining properties . Everything to your right is your responsibility.

You can hardly hold a landowner accountable for his stock on your property, if you fail to maintain your half of the fence.
If I don't have stock I don't need a fence.
Apparently Tennessee law would differ. Every one of the Western sates certainly would. Well, maybe with the exception of California. That I would not know.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Wild cherry trees. Wilted leaves problem solved
Or Sudan grass, or sorghum. Johnson grass has already been mentioned. Lots of natural sources of cyanide.

Heck, lupine and loco weed make beautiful flowers, and they don't take much water. Let the dog run the cows for ten minutes so they are nice and hot before they hit the ornamentals. Several will probably not make it out the other side.
Why should the animals suffer for a dumb fugg owner who won't keep them in?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Or Sudan grass, or sorghum. Johnson grass has already been mentioned. Lots of natural sources of cyanide.

Heck, lupine and loco weed make beautiful flowers, and they don't take much water. Let the dog run the cows for ten minutes so they are nice and hot before they hit the ornamentals. Several will probably not make it out the other side.
Johnson grass makes good hay

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

So does sudan grass, and even pasture. We used it for silage blended with corn.

But don't let the stock near it in the morning after the first frost.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E

So does sudan grass, and even pasture. We used it for silage blended with corn.

But don't let the stock near it in the morning after the first frost.
Have heard that

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Neither neighbor will claim them?

Are they branded?
Not a brand state

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by plumbum
Originally Posted by Hastings
We had a similar situation with a black deputy having....

What does his race matter?

Agreed. Stupid addition to an otherwise interesting post.
In case no one has noticed, the race of the offender is of utmost importance. Take the George Floyd case and the Jordan Neely cases for instance. When you are dealing with the African based black race one must be careful to not appear overbearing. Sometimes expecting them to conform to societal standards is deemed unreasonable. Hence the need to approach legal problems with black people with extra care if you are not black.

I understand that loose running livestock is not as serious as the Floyd or Neely cases but in my case it was a black deputy flouting the law.
Race of the owner means nothing, round up the cows on your land and take to the sale barn

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To my eye, I think it refers to the responsibility to maintain your half of a boundary fence.

It is traditional that you walk up to the center of a fence between adjoining properties . Everything to your right is your responsibility.

You can hardly hold a landowner accountable for his stock on your property, if you fail to maintain your half of the fence.
If I don't have stock I don't need a fence.
Apparently Tennessee law would differ. Every one of the Western sates certainly would. Well, maybe with the exception of California. That I would not know.
California still has open range counties. Like ours. Probably more cows here than people. We kinda like it that way.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Squidge
https://tnfarmbureau.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/TN-Fence-Laws-Bro_1.pdf

Livestock Confinement

Q: Does Tennessee law require that livestock be confined?

A: Livestock is not allowed to run-at-large in Tennessee. Owners who willfully allow this to happen could be charged with a class C misdemeanor. Any person who suffers damage from livestock running-at-large could have a lien placed on the animals until the damages are recovered. Fences enclosing livestock should be made of sufficient material according to the law.

Q: What if my livestock frequently escapes and trespasses onto another person’s property?

A: Stock that habitually escapes is considered “notoriously mischievous” and must be confined to the owner’s premises. The livestock owners would be strictly liable for damages caused by the animals if the animal is notoriously mischievous.

Q: Am I responsible for damages to someone else if my livestock trespass onto their property?

A: Tennessee is considered a “fence in” state. This means that a neighbor must fence in his property in order to keep escaped livestock out. When a neighbor’s property is damaged by roaming livestock and the livestock does not habitually escape, the livestock owner is not liable for any damages if the neighbor does not have a fence or if the neighbor’s fence is deemed insufficient. In the event that the neighbor’s fence auses the livestock to be maimed, wounded or killed then the neighbor would be liable for paying damages to the livestock owner. If livestock escaped through a partition fence, the livestock owner would be liable for damages only if the owner had refused to or neglected to maintain the partition fence and if the adjoining landowner had maintained their portion of the fence.

Wow, that last answer would appear, upon a quick reading, to make it the non-owner's responsibility to have enough fence to keep marauding cows out, even though the livestock's owner is require to control their critters.

Idaho Shooter, I read this passage differently. If it's not a regular occurrence and the critters get out and eat some petunias and such, no recompense coming.

When a neighbor’s property is damaged by roaming livestock and the livestock does not habitually escape, the livestock owner is not liable for any damages if the neighbor does not have a fence or if the neighbor’s fence is deemed insufficient

They do not mention a shared fence until later in the paragraph (what they call a "partition fence")

If livestock escaped through a partition fence, the livestock owner would be liable for damages only if the owner had refused to or neglected to maintain the partition fence and if the adjoining landowner had maintained their portion of the fence.

of course, it would be wonderful if someone actually familiar with TN case law would add to this discussion.

The best fences are my own, a foot or so inside a surveyed property line., then I don't have to worry about the neighbor sharing maintenance, especially if they sell or rent to azzhats.

And in our county, they must be of 4 or 5 strand barb wire or an equivalent strength to keep cattle out or the cows/sheep etc can just come on my property as the rancher drives his herd to another grazing area.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Eat the cattle

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by blanket
Eat the cattle
And go to prison! Especially the Deputy's cows. Sheesh!

Valsdad, Yes that "partition fence" is what I would assume the paragraph is referencing.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
You have a local animal control branch of the county or town?
Dan's right. They'll issue tickets.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Eat the cattle

Only if one tells on themselves.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
They’re supposed to work on fence today. I guess they don’t like ringing phone at 6am Sunday morning. We’ll see.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
If I had cows on my property that nobody in the neighborhood claimed to own I'd be eating a lot of beef.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Eat the cattle

Both neighbors claimed the cows weren't theirs according to the OP.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Eat the cattle

Both neighbors claimed the cows weren't theirs according to the OP.
It isn’t so much that, they know I know they own them, it’s just that each tries to point the finger at the other one.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
It's a shame a guy has to tip-toe around someone a badge to avoid repercussions.

Glad to hear that they're gonna get that fence fixed and cattle removed.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by bruinruin
It's a shame a guy has to tip-toe around someone a badge to avoid repercussions.

Glad to hear that they're gonna get that fence fixed and cattle removed.
I’ve never really been one to back down, but as I get older and finally have some free time, I’d much prefer to spend it fishing or working in the garden rather than sitting in court listening to a bunch of azzholes. Probably means I’m a puzzy. I don’t care. I just don’t want the headache anymore.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's the old cop mantra "You might beat the rap but ain't beatin' the ride."

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 73 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,099
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.