-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
A budget rifle is whatever I want. I make it fit into my budget.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting that guys have 15 budget rifles instead of 5 or 6 nice ones........Agree with BSA in that if I am trying to save money I'll look for something used instead of buying a cheapo plastic new rifle......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TimZ
Interesting that guys have 15 budget rifles instead of 5 or 6 nice ones........Agree with BSA in that if I am trying to save money I'll look for something used instead of buying a cheapo plastic new rifle......

I have a lot of nice rifles, but I like rifles and like to try new things, particularly if the price is right. I bought 2 rifles today, going in the wrong direction as I really need to reduce inventory, but the prices were below fair market, so they came home with me.

One thing that I really like about the Marlin X guns is that they are easy to swap barrels on. They use small shank Savage specs, so some barrels can be screwed on and head-spaced without any work and if there is any work needed, to set the barrel back a couple 1/1000", it doesn't require much work. Most of the Marlin X guns that I have have been rebarreled with Savage or after-market Savage specs barrels.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TimZ

Think of it like a budget... shovel.

Throw it in the back of the pick-up, drag it through the swamps/briers/rocks/thickets, in the rain or snow, wet and muddy for days on end.

If it'll still dig a decent sh(it)ter and not break...

Does it really need to be gold plated?

8>)

GR

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a T/C Compass in 308 to use as a truck gun. The thing is so damn accurate that I pretty much stopped shooting anything else. Really, really good rifle for very little money

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I picked an RAR Predator in 308 for the threaded barrel and suppressor use... damn thing shot pretty well for the crap trigger and crap stock, of course I couldn’t stop there, so a Timney trigger and Bell and Carlson (bought used), bedding job later, it shoots pretty much any 150 or 165 under an inch, some much better. But it would have been cheaper to bob and thread an existing rifle in the safe.

Last edited by chas05; 05/23/23.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by Pappy348
They have their place, and uses, but generally not for me. I finally bought a real truck, but loaded rifles aren’t allowed in trucks in my state. Don’t have a barn either. DNR regs don’t allow uncased rifles in the woods outside of hunting seasons, so woods-walking out of season is out as well. Handguns fill those uses, lately a 5.7 in a chest rig. Concealed or not, no permit required to tote a pistol.

The most likely use I’d have for one is to try out a new cartridge, but I don’t see that happening either as I have all the bases covered and then some. Time taken to try out something new is better spent shooting what I have, most of which are pretty decent so don’t require any upgrading either.
You can't walk around the woods with a rifle out of hunting season??????? WTF and I thought this place had fugged up laws. Never heard of such nonsense.
Originally Posted by jk16
DNR regs don’t allow uncased rifles in the woods outside of hunting seasons..

WTF?

What state is that? I can see that rule on Publicly managed Lands but they simply have no right do dictate that on privately owned land.

After considerable poking around here and there I discovered that the law in WV was changed last year to permit carrying loaded long guns in vehicles, along with, if you can believe it-crossbows, “except for hunting”(?). Any firearm may be carried for self-defense in or out of season, but unprotected critters like chucks and yotes may only be hunted in “open fields”. Some time back, a DNR officer told me the gun used for such hunting had to be cased until the “field” was reached. In light of the revised law, I need to talk to them again about that part as they recently opened up a bunch of brushy cover on my local WMA, which might lead to some varmint opportunities at longish ranges.

Clear as mud…

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The key, of course, is to be sure and spend at least six month's wages or sign over one of your children to scope it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Heym06
They have their place, and uses, but generally not for me. I finally bought a real truck, but loaded rifles aren’t allowed in trucks in my state. Don’t have a barn either. DNR regs don’t allow uncased rifles in the woods outside of hunting seasons, so woods-walking out of season is out as well. Handguns fill those uses, lately a 5.7 in a chest rig. Concealed or not, no permit required to tote a pistol.

The most likely use I’d have for one is to try out a new cartridge, but I don’t see that happening either as I have all the bases covered and then some. Time taken to try out something new is better spent shooting what I have, most of which are pretty decent so don’t require any upgrading either.
You can't walk around the woods with a rifle out of hunting season??????? WTF and I thought this place had fugged up laws. Never heard of such nonsense.
Originally Posted by jk16
DNR regs don’t allow uncased rifles in the woods outside of hunting seasons..

WTF?

What state is that? I can see that rule on Publicly managed Lands but they simply have no right do dictate that on privately owned land.

After considerable poking around here and there I discovered that the law in WV was changed last year to permit carrying loaded long guns in vehicles, along with, if you can believe it-crossbows, “except for hunting”(?). Any firearm may be carried for self-defense in or out of season, but unprotected critters like chucks and yotes may only be hunted in “open fields”. Some time back, a DNR officer told me the gun used for such hunting had to be cased until the “field” was reached. In light of the revised law, I need to talk to them again about that part as they recently opened up a bunch of brushy cover on my local WMA, which might lead to some varmint opportunities at longish ranges.

Clear as mud…

It looks like the law was written to curb Road Hunters and Poachers.. Historically groups that IGNORE game laws anyway.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
This is my "budget" rifle - got it at a pawn shop for $300, wearing a Weaver steel tube fixed 6X. When I asked the shop owner if I could see it, he said "It says Forester on the barrel - I think it's one of those English guns."

Nearly set my pants on fire reaching for my wallet. Sako Deluxe L579 in .243 Win.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
You guys complaining about RAR magazines realize there is a staggered mag available don't you?

Yes, but those magazine protrudes below the stock, something that I don't care for if there are other options available.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
In Canada, with prices converted to USD, the cheapest new rifles are Savages for about $420. Nothing is cheap, like when most people here were younger. smile

If you have a gun shop with a staff or gunsmith you trust, used might be the way to go, but the question is, how much are you going to pay for a used Rem 700, Ruger 77, or even a used Handi Rifle? Up here at least, used rifle prices are off the rails. I was looking for a 22 Hornet Handi rifle and was looking through Gun Post, one of our online used firearms websites.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This Hornet is $875 CDN or about $615 USD.

Gun Post has Handis, like a 30-06 for $450 USD and a Buffalo rifle for $700 USD. Two inexpensive, used single shots. It's not like these things are rare. Considering that they sold for about $250 CDN or $175 USD new, inexpensive Axis or Ruger Americans are a bargain at $600 CDN ($420 USD) at Cabelas!

Used Rem 700s are expensive too. $700 and most are more.

Around here, if I was looking for a budget rifle, I'd buy a new Axis in 6.5CM, 30-06 or 270. All in, it would be about $475 USD.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Several years ago, when the savage axis came on the market, I purchased one in 223. Mine is a pre-accutrigger version. I had the trigger worked over by a gunsmith. It's a cheap rifle, but shoots extremely well. Killing a standing coyote out to 300 yards has not been a problem. If I were buying a "cheap " rifle today I'd get a savage axis. Ymmv.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you like the TC compass

Watch for TC Ventures

I really like them
They are accurate and the stock is much nice IMHO

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The CVA single shots/Scouts I've played with have been nice shooters for minimal $.

Over the last week I've been playing with a CVA Cascade. Very smooth action, low bolt lift, comfortable bolt handle design, GREAT trigger, nice pattern on the stock with generous free float on the barrel channel, threaded sporter contour barrel. It suffers the "budget" rifle standard of proprietary mags and cerakoted cm steel. Accurate enough to hold ~1.25" with 3 different factory loads.

After spending time with it, the CVA Cascade would be the first place I'd look for a budget bolt gun.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Budget for me would be a Howa 1500. Excellent feeding and extraction and a decent two-stage trigger (could be a little lighter). From there, it's moving up to Tikka. I've done the Savage route and while accurate, I just can't like them for some reason.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like others have said, a CVA scout isn't a bad bottom-dollar rifle, as they generally shoot, have decent triggers, and are compact. Also, the Howa/Vanguard is a solid bolt gun option, especially the two-stage trigger model like devnull mentions. I've done a simple spring swap and had great results. No flies on a used SS Vanguard. If going above that pricing, I'd probably look for a used Tikka.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by devnull
Budget for me would be a Howa 1500. Excellent feeding and extraction and a decent two-stage trigger (could be a little lighter). From there, it's moving up to Tikka. I've done the Savage route and while accurate, I just can't like them for some reason.

This right here. Just looked on GI and you can get one for $500. Forged action, hinged floorplate. No compromises in construction or function. A bit heavy, but not awful. Brownells has barreled actions available, often at great prices that allow you to put them in a better stock pretty cheaply.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Is it because the look of the bolt handle makes you anticipate flushing sounds when you lower it?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman

Is it because the look of the bolt handle makes you anticipate flushing sounds when you lower it?
Replacement bolt handles are available in a multitude of styles and quite inexpensively.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 38 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,500
Posts18,490,477
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.