Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Did some trading at the Kansas City gun show and was able get a new CZ 550 American in .270 Win. On it, I mounted a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 with Mil-dot reticle (early Christmas from my wife (yeah, she's fantastic!)), in the CZ factory rings (VERY heavy duty rings).

It has a new stock design that has just come out on the 550 Americans. The dealer had one of each, so I was able to do a side-by-side comparison of old design vs new design. The new ones have stocks that are a little slimmer and trimmer than what the Americans used to be (sorta like the new Ruger Hawkeye stocks). Also, the new ones have a different checkering pattern, that resembles what's on the new Sakos. And also the inletting is more precise than what it used to be and the barrel is free floated better. To me, it just feels better in your hands than the older design, but YMMV.

I was finally able to get to the range with it this afternoon. As I had hoped, it's a SHOOTER!!! Shown are a few representative groups. I fired several more groups that were virtually identicle in size. I was using 140gr Nosler BT's and 130gr Hornady SST's.

Temp was in low 40's with about a 10 mph wind blowing across the range. I didn't spend much time trying to dope the wind. All groups shown were fired at 100yds. When firing the groups, I loaded three rounds into the magazine, bolted 'em from the magazine to the chamber, and fired all three rounds within a minute or so. I let the barrel cool between groups.

Here are some representative ones:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NOTE: (Legal disclaimer) The loads shown on the targets were carefully worked up to and were safe in this rifle, but may not be safe or work in yours. You must start three or four grains below the shown charge weight and work up to it in 1/2 grain increments, watching carefully for pressure signs. I am NOT responsible for anything that may occurr while firing these loads in your or anyone else's rifle but my own personal one.

Last edited by Skeezix; 12/03/07.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
GB1

Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here are some pics of the rig. She's a beaut.

[Linked Image]

This is the left side of the buttstock showing the new checkering pattern that's just come out on the 550 Americans. The other side of the pistol grip has a palm swell. Feels really nice.

[Linked Image]

This is the checkering pattern on the forend. I actually like it. It reminds me a lot of the checkering pattern on the new Sakos.

[Linked Image]

Sorta an overall view down the right side. The buttpad really works good soaking up recoil.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
More pics:

[Linked Image]

Right side of action and scope. There's some weird reflections coming off the receiver bridge at the front scope ring that make it look rough, but it's really neat and slick as a baby's butt.

[Linked Image]

Another overall view down the left side this time.

[Linked Image]

Closer view of the left side of the receiver and stock.

The workmanship of the whole rig is excellent. So far, I'm exceedingly happy with my first ownership experience with a CZ. This rifle is a LOT better fit and finish than the last several Winchesters I bought. Also, better than Brno's and CZ's used to be. These rifles have improved a lot in the past few years.

[Linked Image]

Here's the security staff. They're also pretty good at taking care of any extra biscuits or scraps that might be around... For some reason, cats don't seem to last very long around them though. And they're good trackers, too.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
What does it weigh all-up? It does look a lot better then the one I handled yesterday, it was the old style I guess. Nice to see she shoots for you. Thanks for the pics.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
WOW, I'm impressed. I have a CZ550 in .243 with the older stock design and it is a hog! I had also heard that McMillan is going to stop offering stocks for CZs. CZ has needed to trim their stock down for some time....Now if they can only get rid of the ugle 527 magazine protrusion.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very Nice cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good question handwerk! According to the postal scales, rifle w/scope & rings weighs 8lbs 15oz, empty. Add 6 loaded rounds with 140gr BT's and it goes to 9lbs 4oz.

But it feels like less than this in your hands. I've got a mid-70's vintage Ruger M77R .300 Win with Leupold Vari-X II 3-9 on it that weighs 8lbs 13oz empty and 9lbs 1oz loaded with 180gr Partitions. It feels like it weighs more than the CZ.

The CZ also weighs within an ounce or two of my best friend's Win 70 Super Grade in .270 and the CZ feels somewhat lighter and handier than it also.

My Sako L61R Finnbear .30-06 with Sightron SII 3-9x40 weighs 8lbs 14oz empty and also 9lbs 4oz with 6 rounds of 150gr BT's. Within 1oz empty and identical loaded, but I like the feel of the CZ a little better, especially in the pistol grip area, both carrying and when shouldered. (No, the Sako's NOT for sale!)

I've toted those rifles for miles and miles, including that Super Grade on a speed-goat hunt in Wyoming this fall (after the Leupold on my rifle crapped out), and I don't notice the weight unless I'm at high altitude in some REALLY steep terrain. So I know I'm really gonna like this CZ in the field.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I too, am impressed. I was just visiting the CZ USA website and didn't see a thing on it, so I called them today. Customer service said the company is making up new catalogs now and is photographing the rifles for the catalogs. I ask her if there will be a weight reduction and she said yes, there would be, but she did not know the overall weight savings. You might consider refinishing your stock. It looks like there is some good figure hiding beneath that elephant snot CZ uses as a finish. I refinished my CZ 550 American in 7x57mm and man, what a difference. Oh yes, the lady said the changes were the result of CZ listening to the major complaints hunters had about the rifles, so I complained that CZ droped the 7x57mm from its lineup and she just laughed a bit. I really like the checkering on that rifle of yours. Were those loads worked up or were they proven loads from another rifle? Tom Purdom

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
how do you like the new monarch scopes comparred to the old ones.?

Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
7x57 Mauser: I worked up to these loads. The load for the 140 BT's is the max in the Nosler manual for that bullet.

The load for 130gr SST's using H4831sc, I got out of the Nosler and Hodgdon manuals. It's max in the Nosler manual but below max in the Hodgdon manual. I'm happy with the performance, and didn't feel any personal need to see if I could reach the Hodgdon max.

The load for the 130gr SST's with RL-22 came out of the Alliant manual. It's below the max in that manual, but again, I liked the performance I got, so stopped there for now.

But I worked up to all of those loads, even though they're in manuals.

IC B3

Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
TT308: I like the new Monarchs. The only real quality difference I could see between my Japanese Monarchs and this new Philippine Monarch was that the threads where the adjustment covers screw on are not quite as nicely machined. The brightness, accuracy of adjustments and focus are just as good. IMO, they're a hell of a deal for the money.

This new Monarch has the Mil-dot reticle and there was a very good, easy to understand booklet on using Mil-dots that came with the scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the looks of the new stock, and the mention of a palm swell is making me want to change out my old one. That's really the only rub I've got with the 550; a trimmer stock has long been needed.

Good to see yours is a shooter to boot. These rifles have always been good functionally, but now look to be improving steadily in overall quality as well. Looks like I need to come up with another "need". smile

Best Regards

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice rifle, very good shooter. I'd look for new mounts though. In my eyes, (no offence intended smile ) they detract from the rifles elegant lines.

Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
JBabcock: I ordered Millet rings from two different places and they were on backorder at both. Looked around elsewhere and couldn't find the Millets at a decent price, got antsy and decided to use the factory rings. You are right that they detract from the lines, but you gotta admit, they are ULTRA heavy duty (and unfortunately ultra heavy in weight also). There's enough steel in them that you could melt them down and make a Dodge Neon from each one of 'em.

I really like the new stock too. It doesn't feel like you're swinging a chunk of 2x6 when handling it.

Another thing I forgot to mention was the trigger. As it came from the factory, it had about 3 1/2 feet of creep in it, and the "set" pull was too heavy. It was fairly easy to adjust the weight of pull, take-up and overtravel to improve it greatly. The set trigger adjustment was easy also. The unset pull still has just the slightest detectable creep in it, but it's so good otherwise, that I'm not gonna pull the action out of the stock to tweak it until after deer season. The 'set' pull can be adjusted without removing the stock.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Dang it! There's a CZ 270 calling my name on the closeout rack here in town...

If you owned 4 30-06's and a 9.3x62 would you buy a 270?

... after seeing these targets, I'm thinking I will! grin

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I like the sentries. Very attentive. Can you say "Nice doggy"? Makes me miss my Rotty.

Sweet lookin shooter too. I'm looking at one in .375 H&H. A shooting friend has a CZ (not sure which model) in .223 that he uses on varmints. It's a classy piece and also a very good shooter.

RJ

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.
Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O45: But of course!!!! Everybody needs a good .270!

And a .25-06. And a .280. And a 6.5x55. And a 7x57. And a .308. Don't forget a 7 Mag of some sort. And a .223. And a .257 Bob or .250-3000. And very possibly a .204 or .17 (more research is pending there).

And I really needed my .416. Haven't had any problem with rhinos chasing the dogs, giraffs spying in the upstairs windows, or buffalo pooping on the front porch since I got it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Will the rings from Millet be lower, as the factory set look high? Nice rifle...great groups! Thanks for the info.

Paul

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Isn't anybody else creeped out by how neat and organized his gun room is? :lol:

On the .416, proof of the old truism that its better to have it and not need it than vice versa. Though if I had one, it would more likely be used for impalas, that boom their subwoofers too loud late at night.

Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
RJ: I fondled one of the .375's and a 9.3x62 also. My fingers got REALLY sticky on both of those. But, my son and daughter both have .270's and I've shot both enough that I got a terrible itch for one, that just HAD to be scratched.

I've seen those 527's shoot too. In fact, at the range one day I saw one come out of the box, guy slapped an el-cheapo scope on it, swabbed out the barrel, I helped him bore-sight it, and he started shootin'. Dang thing out-shot my customized Win 70 Coyote....

And the sentries are good puppies. They were being extra attentive when I took that pic because I had a dog biscuit stuck between the fingers of my right hand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,641
Posts18,474,477
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.