Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I believe everyone saw this coming...

More green energy promises unfulfilled.

Biden Spent $1 Billion To Get Schools Electric Buses. This Michigan District Says Theirs Hardly Work.

Collin Anderson May 24, 2023

Michigan's fourth-largest school district is having "significant" performance issues with its expensive electric buses, issues that come after the Biden administration spent $1 billion to "transform America's school bus fleet" with electric models.

During an April 19 presentation to the Ann Arbor Public Schools Board of Education, the district's environmental sustainability director, Emile Lauzzana, highlighted a number of issues with the district's electric bus fleet. Those buses, Lauzzana said, have "a lot of downtime and performance issues" and aren't "fully on the road," despite the fact that they are "approximately five times more expensive than regular buses." The infrastructure upgrades required to use the buses, meanwhile, were "originally estimated to be only about $50,000" but "ended up being more like $200,000," according to Lauzzana. "I have a number of colleagues in different states who are facing similar challenges," the district official lamented. "For the school bus market, it's been challenging for us."

Just months before Lauzzana's admission, President Joe Biden's Environmental Protection Agency announced it awarded nearly $1 billion in taxpayer funds to "transform America's school bus fleet" with "over 2,400 clean school buses that will accelerate the transition to zero emission vehicles." But problems with electric buses occurred long before the agency's announcement.

Electric bus company Proterra, which the Biden administration has lauded as "pretty amazing," saw Philadelphia remove 25 of its buses from the roads in 2020 due to structural problems. Those buses cost the city $24 million. Another Southern California city waited months in 2021 to repair nearly a dozen buses from its electric fleet, more than a third of which were out of service at the time. Ann Arbor Public Schools' electric buses also use Proterra batteries and drivetrain technology.

Still, those issues did not stop Biden from setting aside $9 billion for electric school buses and local transit vehicles in the Democrat's November 2021 infrastructure bill. Biden is also not the only prominent Democrat who is spending big on "clean" buses. Michigan Democratic governor Gretchen Whitmer plans to create a $150 million electric school bus program through her 2024 state budget. Even Ann Arbor Public Schools is refusing to step away from electric buses—Lauzzana during his April presentation said the district is committed to purchasing "additional electric buses," despite its ongoing challenges. For conservative group Michigan Freedom Fund, that commitment is misguided.

"Michigan Democrats have put the (electric) cart before the horse. The technology and infrastructure for electric buses do not exist at this moment … yet Democrats and school districts insist on purchasing electric buses," the group's communications director, Mary Drabik, told the Washington Free Beacon. "This backward approach to policy only creates more costly problems for residents. As long as Democrats continue to spend the tax dollars of hard-working Michiganders, it will be the residents that truly suffer, not the environment."

Ann Arbor Public Schools, the Biden administration, and Whitmer did not return requests for comment. While the school district did not purchase its electric buses with federal money from the Biden administration—its buses are the product of a state grant funded by Michigan's portion of a Volkswagen environmental settlement—Lauzzana's presentation shows that the district hopes to take advantage of additional "incentive programs" in the future.

The Biden administration has faced intense criticism from congressional Republicans over its ties to electric bus maker Proterra. Administration officials repeatedly showcased the company while Biden's energy secretary, Jennifer Granholm, held up to $5 million in Proterra stock. Granholm eventually sold her 240,000 Proterra shares in May 2021, with the former Michigan governor earning a cool $1.6 million. Just months after Granholm's stock sale, Proterra officials discussed their plans to capitalize on government electric bus spending. "The tailwinds of the North American electric transit bus market have never been stronger," the company said in an August 2021 report. "With zero emission transit bus funding increasing by over 300 percent over 2021 funding levels, we expect the [infrastructure bill], if passed by Congress and signed into law, to help drive significant acceleration in the electrification of more than 65,000 buses in the North American transit bus fleet."

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, Duuuuh!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I work on Colorado Springs, buses and we have 4 ProTerra's the buses mentioned in the article. It is a miracle if 2 of the 4 are on the road at once. None of them can run a full days route. In the year we've had them, they have around 20,000 miles on them. The diesel buses that went into service after them have 50 -60,000 miles. The city was looking at getting more EV buses, but are now looking more at hybrid or just straight diesel. I hope for straight diesel.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Everything they touch.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Four times the initial cost, AND it takes 4 electrics to do the job of one diesel, so 16 times the cost overall.

Iterate that through the entire economy, and that's what you get when you let democrats run things.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 05/26/23.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I would.like to hear the result of Biden Admin jamming USPS electric vehicles into the fleet. USPS didn't want them, said their budget couldn't support EV cost and maintenance...but the climate warriors insisted.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Kamala could phuque up a junkyard.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
More billions here...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/biden-administration-paying-americans-thousands-200232420.html

Meanwhile... Ford pays Musk big coin to piggy back... Musk is a genius.

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/675adee3-9ca2-318b-bd31-2daf5ff1e9e0/tesla%2C-ford-team-up-in.html

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'll double that!

"Kamala could phuque up a junkyard"!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by gunswizard
👍

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Schools should drop school buses, they're an anachronism of when America was 90% White. Abolish school buses and public school athletic programs, I can't afford the tax bill for the corrupt ISD's.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Our locality has received a grant to replace every single school bus with an electric bus. I cannot wait for the hilarity to ensue.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
10% for the big guy.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Funny you never hear about real world experience with these schemes on the news.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Originally Posted by gunswizard
👍
NBN

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I'll double that!

"Kamala could phuque up a junkyard"!

Rumor has it she has phuqued everything there - including the dog.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s Ann Arbor, man nothing works in Ann Arbor????

Not even the Big Weasels!!!!!😂😂😂😂😂😂

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Four times the initial cost, AND it takes 4 electrics to do the job of one diesel, so 16 times the cost overall.

Iterate that through the entire economy, and that's what you get when you let democrats run things.

Plus,I bet environmental costs are greater because of the rare metals found in the bus batteries

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Huh, imagine that. The whole EV .gov multi billion $ grants were a cluster of epic proportions. A lot of money went to foreign countries and most US companies went bankrupt and even bought by the Chinese.
I’ll post some shocking figures on this later.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (300_savage, 44automag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 24 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,210
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.