Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dassa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Does anyone have experience with lesser known primers like ginex, murom, and servicios aventuras?

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used Google to check reviews.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I bought some Servicios Aventuras small pistol primers that were initially problematic, with three being pierced and numerous failures to ignite in my Colt 38 Super. I read that they are hard. Just to see what happens, I used a lot of seating pressure and seated them hard. I have had no pierced primers and no failures to ignite since I changed how I seat them. I’ll keep using them until I use up the brick, but I doubt I’d buy more unless the rest prove reliable.

Old70

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got some of those Argentine primers from Norma for sh*ts and giggles. No malfunctions in a G26 and a GP100 357, the only fail to fire was in a SCCY. The ones that failed in the SCCY went bang in the Glock.

Swifty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
How much are they? I'm sure you guys are seeing small pistol primers locally? CCI500's and 550's for example are $70/brick here. Is it worth the headache messing with an unknown primer company? Too bad the main manufactures can't keep up with the current need of the consumers.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

D
dassa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm asking for my nephew. He's just starting to reload, and large Rifle primers from mainstream companies are almost non existent. I don't want to point him to something that will be crap and discourage him.

Last edited by dassa; 05/31/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dassa
I'm asking for my nephew. He's just starting to reload, and large Rifle primers from mainstream companies are almost non existent. I don't want to point him to something that will be crap and discourage him.

Too bad you didn't know someone that could help you get some good primers then. I help my buddies out all the time. There's even some instances where you can buy factory primed brass. That brass doesn't even need to be brand new or from Cabela's or Scheels. Look around a bit. Some mom and pop shops or hole in the wall shops may have what you are looking for. I recently bought some good factory primed brass from the 70's. I'd do that way before I bought anything from your list. YMMV, but that's the way I'd roll. Also, word has it that we should be seeing more LR primers by July. Maybe hold out for a couple months or find a buddy that can help with some real primers.. Just a suggestion..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
How much are they? I'm sure you guys are seeing small pistol primers locally? CCI500's and 550's for example are $70/brick here. Is it worth the headache messing with an unknown primer company? Too bad the main manufactures can't keep up with the current need of the consumers.

I caught a sale from a email 55.00 a brick, no hazmat. Currently out of stock 75.00 per.
Don’t know about local, I am not looking as I got plenty, I just like to play and curiosity got me.

Too bad you didn't know someone that could help you get some good primers then.

They all went bang out of the 300 I have shot, so I wouldn’t call them bad. Only issue was the firearm which has had the same issues with so called good primers.

Last edited by Swifty52; 05/31/23.

Swifty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52

I caught a sale from a email 55.00 a brick, no hazmat. Currently out of stock 75.00 per.
Don’t know about local, I am not looking as I got plenty, I just like to play and curiosity got me.

Too bad you didn't know someone that could help you get some good primers then.

They all went bang out of the 300 I have shot, so I wouldn’t call them bad. Only issue was the firearm which has had the same issues with so called good primers.

Good info Swifty. Thanks for the report.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't know where the op lives or what he's loading for, but I bet even some guys here would help him out, if they were within driving distance..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
They may be fine, but I've never used any foriegn primers. Handloading since the mid-'60s, I've not had a problem with any US-made primer and I've probably used them all, but I wouldn't be adverse to trying the foreign stuff if nothing else was available.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've used a lot of S&B 5.3LR primers with very good results. Now I wish I had bought cases of them instead of bricks.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've used plenty of S&B large rifle and small primers, which work fine. The 5.3LR produced just about the same velocity as Federal 210s in the same loads.

Also have had good luck with Tula small-rifle primers, which were sometimes sold as "Wolf" primers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Been using magtec and wolf primers for some calibers. I have no issues with them…. Accuracy and velocity doesn’t differ much from Federal 210 M and CCI BR4’s.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the not-so-amazing aspects of this discussion is the apparent assumptions that any primers made anywhere but the USA are "off-brand"--which implies inferior.

Most of the initial work on self-contained metallic cartridges took place "across the pond," including development of primers, and priming compounds. European companies have been producing primers just as long as we have, and in many instances longer. But we somehow assume that because they're inferior---as in "off-brand."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With all the shortages, the first lot# of primers might be all over the map. Even in days of affordable primers, I've noticed differences in primer lot #s. Not enough to bother me, but enough to notice.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have used S&B primers in pistol and rifle with no issues and have used the ones from south America in a 9mm and a 357/38 and have had no problems.

Saw that Powder supply, Midway and Brownells has had primers lately for around 80 or so,which is down from the 95-100 that they were wanting at the start of the year.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It was a sad day today, I loaded the last of my S&B SR primers. IME they have been great, wish there were more available.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
D
dassa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the not-so-amazing aspects of this discussion is the apparent assumptions that any primers made anywhere but the USA are "off-brand"--which implies inferior.

Most of the initial work on self-contained metallic cartridges took place "across the pond," including development of primers, and priming compounds. European companies have been producing primers just as long as we have, and in many instances longer. But we somehow assume that because they're inferior---as in "off-brand."
Perhaps off brand was the wrong term. I meant simply that I've never heard of those three I mentioned before. And I've never seen load data using them.

Some more info that might help. My nephew is just starting to reload. His interest is ww2 military surplus arms. (Lee-enfield, carcano, arisaka, Schmidt-Rubin type of stuff). His main interest is collecting, but occasionally wants to shoot them. Finding ammo isn't easy nor inexpensive. So he wants to reload mostly for plinking.

I bought him a press, dies, a scale, etc. He has brass, and is getting powder and bullets. The only issue is primers. Most of the brands I'm familiar with have gotten pretty expensive when you can find them. The three brands I mentioned seem to be "reasonable" and more available. I just don't have any experience with them, so wanted input from you guys who do have experience.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
FWIW I’ve used a bunch of Fiocchi (large rifle) and they have been very good in the applications I’ve tried so far.

PennDog

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 444Matt, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 673, 10 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,554
Posts18,510,418
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.