Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
LOBO2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Here is a neat m54 I picked up a few years ago with an A.O. Niedner barrel.

The Winchester dates to 1926 and the Niedner barrel to 1927. The marking on the barrel is A.O. Niedner over DAWOGIAC, MICH. The barrel isn't marked for caliber, so I had my gunsmith do a chamber cast. The gun is in 30-06. I hope to hunt with it this season.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

*I also put this in the custom rifle forum.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Neat historical artifact. There aren't many alterations to original rifles that enhance their value, I feel this is one of them. Niedner's was a highly respected custom shop. His barrels were considered world class, and were used by many other custom gunsmiths. The only things I would do with this one is replace the godawful ventilated recoil pad and retrofit a period correct target scope in place of the current one, for paper punching. (I see the holes for the front base exist in the barrel - obviously added after the gun left Niedner's as they wouldn't have drilled through their name on the barrel.) Revert to the "modern" scope for hunting purposes, although it's kind of a shame they drilled that extra hole in the receiver bridge. At least the bolt handle wasn't altered, as far as I can see from where I'm sitting.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Neat historical artifact. There aren't many alterations to original rifles that enhance their value, I feel this is one of them. Niedner's was a highly respected custom shop. His barrels were considered world class, and were used by many other custom gunsmiths. The only things I would do with this one is replace the godawful ventilated recoil pad and retrofit a period correct target scope in place of the current one, for paper punching. (I see the holes for the front base exist in the barrel - obviously added after the gun left Niedner's as they wouldn't have drilled through their name on the barrel.) Revert to the "modern" scope for hunting purposes, although it's kind of a shame they drilled that extra hole in the receiver bridge. At least the bolt handle wasn't altered, as far as I can see from where I'm sitting.
Unfortunately, rear receiver bridge is D&T, plus the bolt handle and safety have been altered to clear the modern scope/mount position.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That's a great Rifle!
Thanks for Sharing.
Enjoy,
HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'm a big fan of the Model 54. Unfortunately, contrasting to the Model 70 earned aura; "non-collector" 54 specimen extracts a steep value hit compared to a strong 70 sustained "functionality" aura of respect. The 54, irony as often a series of factual-functional enhancements, as economically condemned "originality" factor hit. Model 54 modernization formula: "More useful, less valuable"!

The Nieder barrel is a nifty artifact and era context "functional improvement" category... For those of us who recall the name in accurate barrel lore.

Concluding as noting your "Poof Pad Syndrome". You know, the era-correct recoil pad so old, worn, dried & decrepit, that that it goes "poof" with small cloud of rubber-dust debris every time you shoot! smile A replacement... or breathing mask, appears to be in your shooting future. Below: My similar era pad on Mod 54, 11K SN (without suffix) also in 30-06.

Good luck with that new toy of interest!
Best!
John

Attached Images
R445-2.jpg (32.86 KB, 93 downloads)
R445-16.jpg (11.89 KB, 92 downloads)
R445-18U.jpg (15.88 KB, 92 downloads)
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
Unfortunately, rear receiver bridge is D&T, plus the bolt handle and safety have been altered to clear the modern scope/mount position.

Ahh, I see it now.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Impossible to conventionally mount a scope on a M54 without altering the bolt.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
LOBO2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I don't think the safety has been altered as the scope doesn't allow it to function, but I could be wrong. It gets in the way.

I didn't know the bolt handle had been altered, but it surely makes sense.

It would have been awesome if they wouldn't have drilled through Niedners mark, but at least it's still legible. Yeah, the recoil pad is way gone cool No hope for it. I hope to get it replaced before too long.

Should I load M1 Garand level loads in this rifle? Just to be safe?

Chris

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Should be a very good shooter, provided the bore was maintained. "Normal" loads should be ok but there's nothing at all wrong with Garand-safe loads. They are what made the .30-06's reputation during the first half century of it's existence anyway. Strength-wise no moss grows on the M54.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to check headspace. Always a good idea with any gun that old.

LOBO2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the help. Yes sir, I had my smith check it when he made the chamber cast to make sure it was 30-06.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 43 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,070
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.