Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Rapier Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Am building a new 35 Whelen another one, on a Rem 700 squared action, got the SS 1-14 barrel blank turned to contour and ran into a small problem, a good problem, the donor action I bought, in a group of four 700s, is a August 1958 dated 700, cut checkering, all original, 06 in excellent shape. Saved it to last for tear down. So stopped at the tear down stage for a bit more consideration.

While thinking on it, started a 358 Win build on a Mauser 3/4 action. Never owned a 358 Win rifle, figured it was about time to own one. Building a 1-14 twist 22" barrel cast bullet rifle. This one I am keeping a photo log on a step by step.

I still need to cut the stock for the 358 on my duplicator, may make a myrtle stock for it. I cut stocks outside, have the duplicator on commercial casters so I can roll it outside on the shop's concrete apron.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Rapier
Am building a new 35 Whelen another one, on a Rem 700 squared action, got the SS 1-14 barrel blank turned to contour and ran into a small problem, a good problem, the donor action I bought, in a group of four 700s, is a August 1958 dated 700, cut checkering, all original, 06 in excellent shape. Saved it to last for tear down. So stopped at the tear down stage for a bit more consideration.

While thinking on it, started a 358 Win build on a Mauser 3/4 action. Never owned a 358 Win rifle, figured it was about time to own one. Building a 1-14 twist 22" barrel cast bullet rifle. This one I am keeping a photo log on a step by step.

I still need to cut the stock for the 358 on my duplicator, may make a myrtle stock for it. I cut stocks outside, have the duplicator on commercial casters so I can roll it outside on the shop's concrete apron.

1985?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Mr. Rapier,, Sounds like you are doing a good thing.
I have 2 of the Colonel's 35 and 2 in 358 Win.
The first 35 Whelen is the Rem 700 Classic circa 1988.
Next up (35 Townie) is a build I did on a Zoli bolt action using a Douglas Barrel.
the initial 358 Win was built on a Savage model 10, also with a Douglas BBL.
Then I got a Ruger Hawkeye in 358 Win,,,but kept it "stock".

I hope your builds work out fine.

Have Gun Will Travel,, The more dust on the trail- the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA, VFW, Six Napoleons
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N

The first 700s were made in March of ‘62.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Rapier Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Not a Rem collector, just have a few, mostly for the actions used in custom builds.
This is a picture, I know how to use PI but not figured out the 24 gallery quite yet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The Mouse-r is a M-96 Husky 1943 dated, brand new arsenal action, found on my shelf in a plastic bag, stuck it there when we built the new house, shop and barn, decided to use it. Never supposedly had a barrel mounted. I put the mandrel in it, was tight, squared the face to the mandrel and lapped the lugs on a new bolt to 100% contact, I have a few 96s.
Got a few mods to go until finished, got the thumb de cocker removed, thumb safety installed, trigger guard narrowed and thinned, trigger installed, bolt handle bent, knob tear drop shaped, ramp polished was rough, scope base installed, stripper clip hump removed, tang sloped below the sear groove for stock fitment. It is coming along. Waiting for the SS barrel, probably spintvthe whole business and C coate it black. Oh, with the polished ramp, it feeds 358s well enough to get me to a final setup and fitting.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great choices. I’ve got (3) 358’s, and a whelen on an old 700. Love em👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Never owned a 358 Win, but it's always been high on my list. I have it completely surrounded with two 35 Remingtons and a 35 Whelen classic. They're my primary hunting rifles here in Iowa. Not necessarily looking for one,but I happened upon a 9.3x57mm mauser which many compare to a 358 Win. Casewise it's almost exactly inbetween the Colonel and the 35 Rem

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Ever considered adding a 358 Norma Magnum to the line-up?

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pinotguy
Or a 358 STA.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pinotguy

Give it time. It's a progressive (the original meaning of the word) disease. It often takes time to grow into bigger & better things.

A 358 Win. & a Whelen is a good start.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
IC B3

R
Rapier Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Oh, I keep returning to the 35 pool and jump in again. It is like the ARs....just tater chips. Once you start eating it is hard to stop.
This is my maple stocked 350 Rem Mag Mauser, a why not build. Used a Richards dual grip as a pattern to do the rear and a Mouser stock to do the front. Something you do not see too often on a duplicator, putting several stocks together on a cut. The tip, cap and recoil bolt plugs are Madagascar ebony. The Packmeyer recoil pad is a real good idea.
It is hard on big hogs, basicly a belted short action 35 Whelen.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dick Riley's favorite rifle was a 358 Norma, worked in his shop in Hooksett NH for a bit until I went in the service in 64. So, the Norma comes with some real good reccomondations and good backups.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
One cost effective way to the .35's is sending one to JES for rebore. I traded for this pre-64 .243 FWT, found out it was shot out. The guy I got it from felt bad about that, sent me $250 to cover cost of a JES rebore to .358 Win. JES does a good job with fast turnaround; it shoots very well. Lot less expensive than building one or buying an original.

Wearing a Trijicon 3-9x40 with duplex type reticle and bright dot. Great glass. Scope in Signature rings.

Fav load is the Shock Hammer 178 over RL-7, deadly on WT's and hogs.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
One cost effective way to the .35's is sending one to JES for rebore. I traded for this pre-64 .243 FWT, found out it was shot out. The guy I got it from felt bad about that, sent me $250 to cover cost of a JES rebore to .358 Win. JES does a good job with fast turnaround; it shoots very well. Lot less expensive than building one or buying an original.

Wearing a Trijicon 3-9x40 with duplex type reticle and bright dot. Great glass. Scope in Signature rings.

DF

Oh, that’s just flat out sexy!!👊🏻

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Oh, that’s just flat out sexy!!👊🏻
Thanks.

Deer and hogs don't think so.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh I bet!! 358 is the “hunters cartridge”.. not much I wouldn’t hunt with a 358. 225 sgk, no fuss, no muss.👊🏻

Ain’t easy havin pals.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My custom pre-64 358 Win has visited Africa with great success and my tweaked Ruger RS 35 Whelen has done the same in south Texas, Alberta and northern BC. They work fine like so many others.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Rapier Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Very nice pre-64, JES does good work, he has a list on line of barrel muzzle diameters required by caliber for a re-bore. Good thing to check if you have some old barrels.

The 358 Win is a very under appreciated hunting cartridge, by the general hunting public, probably no cartridge is any better for deer size game in the thick woods, where shots are normally well under 200 yards, which also happens to be the normal cast bullet hunting range.

When combined with the Rem 200 RN or a 180 Win it can be loaded to 35 Rem velocities to make a good hunting rifle for younger hunters.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Very nice pre-64, JES does good work, he has a list on line of barrel muzzle diameters required by caliber for a re-bore. Good thing to check if you have some old barrels.

The 358 Win is a very under appreciated hunting cartridge, by the general hunting public, probably no cartridge is any better for deer size game in the thick woods, where shots are normally well under 200 yards, which also happens to be the normal cast bullet hunting range.

When combined with the Rem 200 RN or a 180 Win it can be loaded to 35 Rem velocities to make a good hunting rifle for younger hunters.
It’s also a really interesting round, lots of info on pistol bullet loads, cast bullet loads, etc. not many rounds as versatile.

If one was big into these variations, seems having a dedicated scope set up for different classes of ammo would make sense.

I thought about it, just stuck with hunting ammo.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a 35 fan. You'll literally have to pry my 358 Norma from my dead hands. Shoots sub MOA with 250 gr Hornady spires.
Finally getting a Savage 99 wrapped up in 358 Win (thanx to help from a campfire member). Several 35 Rems (1 a 760 pump). Even several wildcats including 35 Gibbs, 357 AR (like a 350 Legend but it uses 223 basic brass and a .358 bore), even a 35 HRT (6.8 SPC necked to 35). I miss the 350 RM XP-100 that I traded off. The only 35 Whelen I had, I sold before I shot it, because I was offered $220 more than I paid for it.

I have a Douglas 358 barrel blank sitting on my shelf, just waiting for the next 35 cal that I can't live without.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a .358 Model 7 that they can bury me with. Love that thing.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,290
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.