Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I have a .358 Model 7 that they can bury me with. Love that thing.

No doubt like everyone else they’re really looking forward to doing so….

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
+1 laugh

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I second, third, fourth the JES route, I have several 358's and all but 2 were created that way, and they all just shoot, he rescued three really bubba smith jobs and made real shooters out of them. I must say he did a savage 99 for me that was a compete dud in 308 and made it a real killer in 358 win, only thing i dislike it whacks you pretty good.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I wouldn't be without a 35 they just get the job done. My two are nothing fancy, a pre 64 FWT M70 and a Ruger #1 35 Whelen. If I ever draw an Elk tag again for Michigan these will be the go to guns.

R
Rapier Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The Shaw 358 Win short chambered barrel came in today. The barrel is a SS .659 muzzle, 22" with 1-14 twist and a recessed crown. Documents said it was .040 short chambered, actual measurement is just .017 so can easily be hand cut for a perfect chamber fit, I like a tight headspace. Nice work, barrel screws on properly and locks up on the two points, end of threads and the receiver face, same time. The bolt closes and locks up without the cartridge. The Rem 200 RN feeds into the chamber like Roscoe as does the RCBS 200 grain FN cast.

I noticed back a few years ago that Shaw changed out their equipment for new and CNC stuff. I have built some rifles for friends that wanted their own Shaw barrels installed, that turned out they shoot in the sub 1/10" category, and that ain't bad in anyone's book.
Have a bit of metal work to do yet, plus the stock to cut and finish. But it is coming along.

I am still debating on all black or black action metal, jeweled bolt with SS barrel. Plus considering a 5/8x24 threaded muzzle for my 35 cal can. Think I might as well do the muzzle thread.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Rapier; 06/27/23.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice. Can’t wait to see it progressed.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rapier - It's looking real nice!
To post big pictures that don't have to be clicked on to see:
1) On the post images site, with the image you want opened, right mouse click on the image and select "copy image link"
2) Go back to 24CF and click where in your post you want the image to go
3) Then take your mouse and click on the "insert image link" icon, to the right of the smiley face that'll open up a window with a space to paste the link you just copied. Select "ctrl v" on the keyboard to paste.
4) select Preview Reply and you can see what it's going to look like before you hit Post Reply.

Cheers,
Rex

R
Rapier Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Works with a PC, but alas I use an iPad and am fresh out of a right click on an IOS. No internet connection, use cel phone connection. We live in the woods, no land line or cable. If I could get my PC pictures onto my pad it would be great. I would love to be working from my PC

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
R
Rapier Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Got the action and bolt finished, discovered that the end of the bolt body had a little ding / bur that was keeping the bolt shroud from turning up to the correct length, so the fitting of the cocking piece for the safety / trigger sear engagement had to be re-done, recut, etc. Checked the firing pin protrusion, launched a pencil with a new eraser. Did those changes today.

I found some new, unfired Peterson 358 Win brass at Graft to allow me to do an old fashioned gunsmith tight headspace set up with, a corner of .003 thick note pad paper stuck on the base of a new piece of brass, a make do headspace gauge, two pieces stacked, the bolt will not close. I setup my normal chambers to sweep the base of new brass as the bolt handle stops on the close. My personal guns setup.

R
Rapier Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Had a problem with the lathe, the operator had partial malfunction, so the muzzle thread ended up a 1/2" cut off, facing and a re-crown. I will get back to that muzzle thread later. I set up the jeweling fixture in the mill to do the bolt, just need an 800 polish on the body to get that fixed up.

Got a epiphany while spinning the 358 Win barrel. I have another 96 to rebarrel or have JES cut to a 358. Why noy make a 55 ot a 57mm x 358. I have the reamers and an extra set of dies, so...

Built the custom for my Dad before he passed, he shot some corrosive through it, would like to save the exterior of the barrel. Cut the 35 W dies off, make the 57 ftpm 7x57 or 8 x57 brass the 55 from 6.5x55 brass, I could run the 358 Win reamer in from 51mm to 55mm or 57mm or just short chamber with the 35 Whelen reamer, finish with the 358 Win reamer.

I was delaying, holding on to the 1958 700, but as an 1985 it changes the need to save it. Nice gun, but not that nice as an 85, it will be a trued, 5x squared, threads cut .010 over with 100% lug contact. 250 recoil lug 35 Whelen in just a bit.

IC B3

R
Rapier Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Jewling fixture setup in my mill for jewling the bolt body. Got half of it done this morning, it does a 600+ dot pattern the way it is setup now.
Did a 600 grit base polish first. I usually use valve grinding compound and a small stainless wire brush with two stacked O rings, this time decided to use the craterex rounds method to see how it turns out. I usually do the bolt handle flat as well, adds a little accent.
A straight length wise polish on the extractor seems to work best, with a blued or black ring for contrast.

Decided to do the action, barrel and bottom metal in black, a double Carekote turns out like a semi gloss finish. Turn it 1/4, 1/4 etc., so it stays wet until you get two light coats over the sand blast finish.

Last edited by Rapier; 07/22/23.

R
Rapier Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Got the bolt jewling finished, not impressed with the Craterex turning at all. Way more precise with a wire brush a double 0 rings with valve grinding compound. That flexing of the craterex tip is totally for the birds on a bolt with multiple humps, bumps, holes and cuts. A steel shaft with shot bristle wire brush does not flex.

I got it to turn out half decent, no blue ribbon job, but decent at 20 feet.

R
Rapier Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I got another 35 done, sorta, a Glock 23 LEO exchange 40 came in. So I fitted a 357 Sig barrel to the 40, put on Novak adj sights, a Ghost Maker 3.5# trigger, extended slide lock. After a week in the parts washer soaking, it all came out pretty clean, including the 40 barrel.

Back to the long guns.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rapier
I got another 35 done, sorta, a Glock 23 LEO exchange 40 came in. So I fitted a 357 Sig barrel to the 40, put on Novak adj sights, a Ghost Maker 3.5# trigger, extended slide lock. After a week in the parts washer soaking, it all came out pretty clean, including the 40 barrel.

Back to the long guns.

Nice…..is 2850fps with 200gr TSX a realistic goal? 😂

There’s no flies on the .357 Sig but neither are there any on the .40s/w either so I would be of the mind that a 2 caliber option is always a benefit especially when both chamberings are excellent. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Rapier Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
That was my thoughts on the Sig and S&W deal, the option was too cheap to pass up.
I got side tracked for a bit, finally decided to go on and thread the 358 Win muzzle so I could put my 35 can on it. Got the .625 by .500 shaft cut today, now need to thread it, then re-crown. Still debating in my mind on the stock. May just go with a fairly plain walnut, to save on all the aggravation. Especially since I now need to replace the rubber on my band saw wheel. Yep, a plan.

R
Rapier Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Well it took a few minutes but the muzzle threading is done, plus re-crowned with 90 degree recessed, put an AR muzzle break on it to protect the threads and new crown. Now to stamp it, spin it with 220 on a vertical belt and the barrel spinner, then sand blast the surface for the Cerakote Granite Black application. Decided to go full black, barrel, action, bottom metal. Little more work, but I do like one color better for myself on a bolt gun.

R
Rapier Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Got the M-96 Husky 1943 headspaced with minimal clearance, to my liking, a cased head with a slight bolt face sweep upon bolt closure, and barrel stamped, with the extractor mounted, to feed and extract the .473 based case. 358 Win new brass and new brass with 200 gr Rem RN a factory OAL. Metal is now ready to sand blast.

So one more step towards the metal finish and the stock making.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i did a Ruger #1 with a Jes rebore 35 Whelen in August 23 this year have not scoped it up yet , bore looks very nice.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Rapier Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Got all of the metal coated today with two coats of Granite Black....Went to bring the wire hangers inside to hang inside for curing, mag bottom plate flipped off the wire and of course landed finish side down on he floor with a bit of dirt, it was still wet, so acetone took the wet but nasty finish right off. Best laid plans of mice and men. I have a couple more projects coming for Cerakote, so will open a new bottle when that need starts up.

R
Rapier Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
This is a cel phone picture of the barreled action coated, hanging. The muzzle has an AR muzzle break screwed onto it with masking tape over. The barrel is plugged and screws in screw holes, best of all worlds, screw heads get sprayed, holes and threads get protected.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,317
Posts18,487,330
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.