Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
In keeping with the trend, I bought a shooter .270 fw on GB last week. Intact and complete with what looks to be a Weaver 4x with a post. Unusual to find a plastic buttplate with the hand checkering. The only real wart on it is the guys initials inscribed in the bolt handle. Which for a shooter, I can overlook, but I did think I'd probably have them removed somehow.

When I called to pay for it, I asked the shop in Colorado which listed it if they had any history on it. He laughed and said he did. The guy who brought it in to consign it is in his 90's and bought it new, and "shot alot of elk" with it but can't hunt any more and was hoping it would go to someone who would hunt it. Stops in multiple times a week he said. I told him to tell the guy it's going elk hunting in Montana this fall.

Rifle showed up yesterday and as it sits here, I think I'll leave the initials as they are.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by BKinSD; 06/06/23.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BKinSD: Neat Rifle there - enjoy.
I have taken just one Bull Elk with a 270 and I used extra care and patience in placing the bullet exactly where it needed to go (heart/lung) avoiding shoulder blade.
Good luck this fall here in Montana.
Is that Featherweight a "solid bolt handle" variety? It kind of looks like the latter version (or hollow bolt) but I can't tell for sure.
Again enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Many years ago I bought a beautiful Standard pre-64 Model 70 in 30/06 and someone had used a vibratory scribe to put their name and drivers license number on the metal floorplate - luckily I had a replacement floorplate.
Apparently the previous owner (the scriber!) did not realize how easily that "identifying marking" could be undone?

B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the wishes, it is a hollow bolt handle. I do have an FW with a solid bolt but this one is too late for that variation.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice. That’s a killer hunting gun!

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
nice rifle , i liked the small story ,i have a Winchester 70 30-06 made in 1952 same type of story , from my dear friend Harold this rifle was purchased new also , mine is going bear hunting this fall . > if only we knew what those rifles killed ? Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cool story and rifle. Thanks for sharing with us. Let us know how it shoots for you, and if you take an elk with it. Thanks!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks I am happy with it so far. I think its just what I was looking for. I have a .270 FW now, a later gun but much higher condition. Provided it shoots, this piece I'll slip into one of my McM's and enjoy it.

I've never had a scope with a post before. Plex came into being about the time I started hunting...what's the sight picture for such a thing? Tip of the post on the target, or the wire junction just below that?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Thanks I am happy with it so far. I think its just what I was looking for. I have a .270 FW now, a later gun but much higher condition. Provided it shoots, this piece I'll slip into one of my McM's and enjoy it.

I've never had a scope with a post before. Plex came into being about the time I started hunting...what's the sight picture for such a thing? Tip of the post on the target, or the wire junction just below that?

If you are going to throw it in a Mcmillan, I'd suggest upgrading the scope as well. Just my opinion. I mainly run the Burris FFII 3-9X40 with ballistic plex reticle on my hunting rifles. My most recent 270fwt wears one, as does my 1956 30-06 fwt. They are excellent for hunting and just about all I use anymore for that. Work fine on paper as well. Really hard to go wrong there. They are not real heavy (13 oz's) either and the glass is pretty good. Your steel tube weaver is a cool old scope, but be warned it may fog up on you. I had the exact set up on my first 270 fwt rifle (made in '57). I used it as is for a while, but the glass was just not as good as a modern scope. Here's what it looked like in Leupold DD's and the Mcmillan:
My first 270 fwt was immaculate ^^^ and it was a damn good shooter (sub moa). I later sold the original stock on ebay for $400.00. That was after I found the great deal on that Hunters compact.

I sold that rifle because I was not a huge 270w fan, but realized later that I should have kept it. I know there's been a lot of talk about the 270 featherweight rifles here recently, so when I found my most recent one, I snagged it!!! It's well worn, but still shoots great and has a lot of character. I'm sure your rifle will shoot lights out too. The 270's generally do. Keep us posted on how she shoots!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the enthusiastic wishes!

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm not keeping the Weaver. I'll put a Burris on it, or a Conquest on it most likely. I am going to shoot it with the post first though just to try it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Glad you got that one...I was watching it as well ,so nice to know the history behind these great rifles...enjoy!

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by handwerk
Glad you got that one...I was watching it as well ,so nice to know the history behind these great rifles...enjoy!

It is pretty neat to see these old rifles still getting time in the field!

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Agreed!

What’s fascinating to me is how much stock variation there was during that ‘59 - ‘60 timeframe. Louis Luttrell over on the Winchester Collector Association has documented just about every variation - aluminum with large panel, plastic with large panel, plastic with small panel, and even a couple aluminum with small panel.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Agreed!

What’s fascinating to me is how much stock variation there was during that ‘59 - ‘60 timeframe. Louis Luttrell over on the Winchester Collector Association has documented just about every variation - aluminum with large panel, plastic with large panel, plastic with small panel, and even a couple aluminum with small panel.

A "transition" period for sure. Just about any variation is possible, as you describe.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice rifle! At least the original owner didn't scribe his drivers licence number into it! Knowing a little of it's history, I'd be inclined to leave it in order to take "JD" hunting. Come to think of it, that'd be a good nickname for that rifle, if you're inclined to such things.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I guess I agree with that. If I hadn't heard the story, I would probably have gotten rid of them. Now that Im in the loop on it, I just can't see hunting it any other way.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’d leave it. If it really bothers you (doesn’t sound like it does!), throw a touch of flat black paint over it - that could be remove at a later time.

B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Would you spray it or brush it? I don't think I will do that but I've always rejected the idea of painting the metal on a rifle. Interesting

B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I slipped a new trigger spring in last night and put the works in a brown McM with a red pad. Took it to the rifle range this morning and fed it Federal factory fodder. Three shots at 100 produced two holes touching and a third flyer about an inch and a half away. Trigger needs a bit more work, its crisp but still heavy; the scope has to go.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds like an awesome set up!

Semper Fi
B
BKinSD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks much its headed in the right direction. I think I'll acquire a scope for it perhaps. I have a Conquest 3-9x40 but I am thinking of going higher end with this. Maybe a Z3

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 3,045 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,353
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.