Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
H5farm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Anyone ever been there?? Going with kids in two weeks. Thanks.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Yea.....but
It was about half a century ago.
I would like to hear your thoughts on what it's like now.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been to Fort Morgan and looked across the bay at it. Know someone that lived there and they loved it there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I worked there for a year, back in 2010-2011. During BP oil spill, so prices were waaay down and hardly any tourist. I liked it. People were friendly, nice beaches, good fresh seafood. Only been back one time for an afternoon visit, so I really dont know what it's like now.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes. Been about 10 years. Back then Dauphin was pretty low key. Not much going on besides fishing and hanging out. Might have been a restaurant or 2. But the island struck me as more of a hideaway than a vacation spot.

Was nice though, we were getting in my buddy's boat and a guy boats up alongside and sold us fresh bait right there, boat to boat. Pretty handy.

Last edited by Tarkio; 06/07/23.

Montana MOFO
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Spent 4-5 days there about 40 years ago. All I recall is it was stifling hot and humid.

NRA Patron
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Cousin went there regularly. Sold his motor home and bought a cottage there. They’re now pretty much 1/2 there and 1/2 back home.

Not nearly as commercial as Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, etc,,,yet.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
We always stop on our way back from vacation at Fort Morgan. Some good fishing there and kind of laid back environment.

H
H5farm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I plan on some beach fishing for kids 9 and 11. They have never been saltwater fishing. We hope to catch some pompano. Not really looking to do the tourist stuff just hang at the beach and eat some good shrimp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Yes. Been about 10 years. Back then Dauphin was pretty low key. Not much going on besides fishing and hanging out. Might have been a restaurant or 2. But the island struck me as more of a hideaway than a vacation spot.

Was nice though, we were getting in my buddy's boat and a guy boats up alongside and sold us fresh bait right there, boat to boat. Pretty handy.

Older fellow with a canopy over his boat? If so, that was Chief!

Unless it's changed, Dauphin Island will never get as commercial as Gulf Shores or Orange Beach. The members of the town council have got a strangle hold on what businesses can come on the island.

Last edited by Oldman03; 06/07/23.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Good spot.

Of course anything along the gulf coast is bonkers these days. It's non-stop all summer.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Older fellow with a canopy over his boat? If so, that was Chief!

Unless it's changed, Dauphin Island will never get as commercial as Gulf Shores or Orange Beach. The members of the town council have got a strangle hold on what businesses can come on the island.

It hasn’t changed of late.

They like the planned rural, small town atmosphere there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by H5farm
I plan on some beach fishing for kids 9 and 11. They have never been saltwater fishing. We hope to catch some pompano. Not really looking to do the tourist stuff just hang at the beach and eat some good shrimp.

Where are you staying on the island? I was stationed there for 3 years with the Coast Guard. In some ways it's like a place frozen in time. Pompano action will likely be very spotty. You can probably catch some whiting though. Use these https://www.hhlure.com/products/speck-redfish-rig. Go as far west as you can and focus on the Gulf side.

Take a high intensity LED light and go out at night shining in the water. The kids will love it. You could even do some flounder gigging. They'll want a long handle tight mesh dip net to play with.

Let me know if you have any questions.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Why in God’s name would you want to go there? Lived in Mobile for two years growing up, or as my dad used to say, held prisoner of war. Nasty area.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We used to stop at the Dog River Marina on the way out there and get crab. Nice place to kill an afternoon drinking long necks

That was far enough out of the way for us, I went to Dauphin Island maybe twice, wasn't much going on there

Last edited by KFWA; 06/07/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Why in God’s name would you want to go there? Lived in Mobile for two years growing up, or as my dad used to say, held prisoner of war. Nasty area.

He's right ya'll. BP was lying when they started promoting Alabama's world class beaches. Phenomenal population growth is just a myth. Everything south of I-10 from Biloxi to Pensacola is nasty. crazy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by H5farm
Anyone ever been there?? Going with kids in two weeks. Thanks.

Can’t tell you much about it now……but, in the ‘60’s as close to heaven thst yo7 could get while alive! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C

I'm sure this is true. Nevertheless, I have such a warm, nostalgic memory of Sunday breakfast downtown Mobile, on the water, I will probably have to go there to dispel and ruin it like every other childhood historical experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mobile proper is like any large city. It has its good and bad. The waterfront area is nice and safe as is the immediate surrounding area. Dauphin Island is really unlike any other area between Panama City and Gulfport. One way in and one way out (unless you count the ferry.) No major chain stores. A vibe that can be perceived as anything in between run-down/redneck to quaint/charming. There are just a few small condo complexes. None of the massive skyrise that dominate much of the remainder of the coast. The fishing is exceptional. The sand is nice and white, though not quite like Destin. The Gulf water color can go from pretty green to chocolate milk. The largest and second largest river delta's in the US, coupled with the currents and the shape of the shoreline factor into that. The crowds are NOTHING like they are to the east.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Whupnaders have beat the stuffin out of it!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (21, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 36 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,776
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.