-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Local fly shop, Mossy's had the G Loomis rep at the shop last night to try their new rods, and old...

The little Light Presentation rod really stood out! Even in a gentle breeze it was unreal. My shoulders are hurting these days so the tiny little thing was a seriously gentle rod that did amazing things. Accuracy was unreal and the distance amazing for a 3 in a gentle breeze.

Trying to find an excuse to buy one but they are pricey, $915... and I have a bunch of light rods already... are grayling worth that much?!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They always finish high in the reviews. Check the yellow stone angler site for a couple reviews. They’re worth that much if it gives you joy while you fish

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only you can answer that for yourself.................and you only live once.

But I do love Loomis rods & have 3, but they are (maybe have) pretty much priced themselves out of the market for most people & about the only rod series they have in the (very loosely described)mid-range prices are the new IMX version which just isn't even close to their high end rods.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Local fly shop, Mossy's had the G Loomis rep at the shop last night to try their new rods, and old...

The little Light Presentation rod really stood out! Even in a gentle breeze it was unreal. My shoulders are hurting these days so the tiny little thing was a seriously gentle rod that did amazing things. Accuracy was unreal and the distance amazing for a 3 in a gentle breeze.

Trying to find an excuse to buy one but they are pricey, $915... and I have a bunch of light rods already... are grayling worth that much?!

New rod technology hasn’t eclipsed a Winston IM6 graphite rod from the late 1980’s through the early 1990’s.

Do yourself a favor and find a used Winston 3 or 4 weight, maybe even a TMF 4 weight or a Sage LL 3 weight and fish them. Nothing new will return the favor of the money well spent on one of those rods and you can still find them well under that $915.00 rod you are looking at…

https://tellurideangler.com/products/winston-tom-morgan-favorite-fly-rod/

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have a bunch of high end rods from a lot of makers and see some high end rods regularly. I even own Winston IM6 rods in 6, 7, and 8 wt. They are extremely smooth but they are not much at beating wind or hucking bigger stuff.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a bunch of high end rods from a lot of makers and see some high end rods regularly. I even own Winston IM6 rods in 6, 7, and 8 wt. They are extremely smooth but they are not much at beating wind or hucking bigger stuff.

There is no such thing as any 2, 3, or four weight rod that’s going to defeat high winds. You initially were talking about a rod that you could handle a gentle breeze, the Winston or light line Sage will do that.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You only live once…

So if that rod would allow you to spend more time fishing successfully with less pain, over the next five years, say…. Pretty cheap on an hourly basis.

More importantly, how much feedback were you getting from the rod when casting close? Say 30’?

P.S. the NRX is only slightly more expensive than the Winston linked by Shrapnel. $915 vs $760 (on sale)

Last edited by Scott_Thornley; 06/16/23. Reason: Added PS

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
As someone posted above, if you happen to run into an original Sage LL 3 weight, jump on it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bugs4
As someone posted above, if you happen to run into an original Sage LL 3 weight, jump on it.

Yep. I have 3 The Scott fiber touch in 2 and 3 weight were fantastic rods. Of course one were great in a heavy wind.

Funny I just stopped by the Winston bamboo rod facility a few days ago.

Last edited by ribka; 07/11/23.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I agree with what Shrapnel says above. I have been fishing with Sage LL’s and Winston IM6’s since the late 90’s. I have a wide variety of other fly rods including some of the more current offerings from Scott, Sage, and Winston.

I do have a couple of the original Scott G’s that I like too.

Still take a Sage 379 LL or 389 LL on most outings.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Moonshine rod company is having a closeout sale on their 3 wt revival. I really like mine and hard to beat under 200$ definitely worth a look

Think i need a bigger gun
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If blanks are available do a build. I have lots of rods I can't afford.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/18/23.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 3,136 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,244
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.