-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Def get the ice machine if offered. I lived in mine for most of 1st couple weeks. Nerve block was also very helpful in keeping the pain level down. I took pain killers for 2 days and that was it. Do exactly what your doc says and do the PT.

jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just had this done on my right shoulder and reattached the bicept on same arm 4 weeks ago. getting along just fine now but BOY , that first week SUCKED ! what ever you do , do what the therapist tells you to do . I am not sure a person can do it at home without strict disipline . due to the therapist pushing you beyond your point of pain and natural resistance . there are alot of conditions to meet to get back to some kind of normal. I have to get back to normal to be able to work with both hands so , it is important to me to do the therapy . good luck and be ready to sleep in the recliner for awhile .

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Have had both shoulders operated on. Right one was done one month before Pa. deer season. Hunted that one with the Redhawk in the left hand. Biggest concern was slipping and grabbing a tree with the right side so wore the sling and swath in the woods to keep arm immobilized. Recovery takes time and work, no way around it.

Dale

This space for rent

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have had the surgery 3 times. Left shoulder twice and right shoulder once. If you need the surgery then get it done. My advice is do the physical therapy. It will help you gain your strength and flexibility back. The first week or two is pretty rough, but it gets better. Good luck.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
My biggest fear here fella's is I'm left handed. WHO THE FUGK IS GOING TO Jackmeoff?.

Dude, variety is the spice of life. Get you some strange.

Never learned to change up? Sheesh! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll keep it in mind.

Dale, are you left handed? I'm hoping to at least hunt gun season but I don't think theres any way I could shoot left handed with a pistol lol. I'm going to miss a whole month, maybe month and a half of walleye fishing. Not looking forward to that at all.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
there is an over the shoulder cold pack that will be your best friend after the surgery.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put off the surgery too long. Finally had it done. Rotator torn in two places, biceps tendon torn. Fixed the tears and cut and reattached the biceps tendon. As others say, first few weeks are not fun. But it gets better and even though rehab is a little tough and inconvenient, DO IT! It makes a huge difference if you stick with the rehab plan and do not overdo it. You will have use of the shoulder after about 4 months but longer for some things. After 6-8 months things work pretty well in my experience. I am a year out and shoulder is back to normal. Feels great and I never regret the few weeks of agony and little sleep after the surgery,

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's your quality of life? Cuz it really comes down to that.
The shot's the PT, is all the Milking stool setting you up for the big payday. Surgery.

You'll never throw a ball again, play with a dog or Grand kids If WC is picking it up, the expense issue is out of the picture, but the body is an amazing thing. You will adapt and over come if your not in great pain. You will adapt.
You may want to just embrace this as the "new normal" and live your life. No surgery.

If not? Schedule for cold weather. You don't want to be in an immobilizer in the Summer, learn to wipe you ass with the other hand [you laugh, try it] months of recovery, and PT only to be told there could be more in your future, for minimal improvement

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I think Ozzie Smith, Hall of fame shortstop had the surgery, and keep playing baseball.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Dale, are you left handed? I'm hoping to at least hunt gun season but I don't think theres any way I could shoot left handed with a pistol lol. I'm going to miss a whole month, maybe month and a half of walleye fishing. Not looking forward to that at all.

No, I'm right handed. I have shot some in the past with my left hand so it wasn't totally new to me. I practiced several times from the bench at the range and was keeping everything on a paper plate at 50 yds. Most of most of my hunting consisted of sitting on a hillside watching the flat below me. I bought one of those MTM shooting rests that looks like a cane with a pointy end. If I did do some wandering around, I always stopped somewhere that I had a tree limb or other suitable rest available.

Realistically, the chances of getting something were slim but I was hunting.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Best of luck to you.

Having had both done, with full thickness tears and bicep tendon detachments, I can tell you they're real fun.

I get to go have the right one looked at this coming week for bone issues impinging on the cuff now, 1o years or so after the surgery. Hoping whatever they decide to do doesn't affect any hunts I might get lucky and draw. Have a bunch of points in AZ toward a sheep tag and was going to put in for that until I had the MRI done ( a year after I first tried to get it done) and found out what's going on. Fuggers try to delay and delay hoping I Might die I think.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Three repairs to the right and two left... now they make a lot of noise but no pain...

Get it fixed.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
If you use the ice machine, here’s a tip. Get a half dozen of the little round plastic, “Ziplock” containers with screw on tops that are used for leftovers. They’re about 4” in diameter. Just pop the ice out in one piece and use warm water if they stick.

Fill them about 3/4 full and freeze them. When half of them are in the ice container, the others are refreezing. As big round ice blocks, they will last longer than using ice cubes or crushed ice. The ice container with the pump will hold three or four of bigger blocks and plenty of water to keep the shoulder wrap full of cold water.

I figured out how to manage the ice after my wife’s rotator cuff surgery years ago and told the surgeon about it in one of her post surgery appointments. Sometimes the docs listen and when she had her hip replacement in November, that technique with the ice was included in the pamphlet the nurses gave out. 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Have you ever fallen from standing into a pushup position, catching yourself with your hands? It looks cool but it's a darn good way to tear a shoulder apart. I have a friend who's a retired Army Ranger. He's had both shoulders operated on because of stuff like that.
2 years ago, I tripped in the yard and partially caught myself on 1 hand. I didn't even go all the way down but I torn a tendon in my left shoulder. After they reattach the tendon, it takes at least 6 weeks for the body's 'glue' to grow the tendon to the bone. It won't have full strength for many months after that. It's been 18 months since my surgery and it still gives me pain, especially at night. Mine was just 1 torn tendon. My friend's surgeries were both total reconstructions.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The recovery and PT for my shoulder sucked worse than my achilles tear.
I ended up with decreased movement and lost dexterity in my hand which screwed up my guitar playing.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dale K

No, I'm right handed. I have shot some in the past with my left hand so it wasn't totally new to me. I practiced several times from the bench at the range and was keeping everything on a paper plate at 50 yds. Most of most of my hunting consisted of sitting on a hillside watching the flat below me. I bought one of those MTM shooting rests that looks like a cane with a pointy end. If I did do some wandering around, I always stopped somewhere that I had a tree limb or other suitable rest available.

Realistically, the chances of getting something were slim but I was hunting.

Dale

LOL Dale, Ya I don't think I could hit anything with my left hand.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Have you ever fallen from standing into a pushup position, catching yourself with your hands? It looks cool but it's a darn good way to tear a shoulder apart. I have a friend who's a retired Army Ranger. He's had both shoulders operated on because of stuff like that.
2 years ago, I tripped in the yard and partially caught myself on 1 hand. I didn't even go all the way down but I torn a tendon in my left shoulder. After they reattach the tendon, it takes at least 6 weeks for the body's 'glue' to grow the tendon to the bone. It won't have full strength for many months after that. It's been 18 months since my surgery and it still gives me pain, especially at night. Mine was just 1 torn tendon. My friend's surgeries were both total reconstructions.

Mine was pretty good till now. Scooted out of my truck one morning with coffee in my right had and went down HARD bracing myself with the left. That did it for me. now I'm having to get it fixed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,775
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.