Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Heym06
Taxes being raised arbitrarily, the reason we voted to limit the tax raises. Another thing some should look at, prior to wanting to join Idaho. Join Idaho go broke. Paying high taxes on personal propery!
Idaho has not had and I have not filed "personal property tax" in ten years. I used to have to file and pay on every piece of ag equipment on the place.

I have long wished that Idaho had a State Law requiring any county to purchase any property for appraised value at the owner's request. Assessments would drop very quickly.
They don't need you to pay those taxes. They get it up front as sales tax. They're getting it, just in a different way. To think your or my local and state government, don't want all you have is inconsistent with their actions.🤔

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Michigan we have the Headlee amendment to the state constitution.

"In 1978, voters approved an amendment to the Michigan constitution known as the Headlee Amendment. Headlee protected property owners from increases in taxes by rolling back the tax rates of millages so that growth would not exceed the rate of inflation from the existing tax base."

This was in exchange for raising the state sales tax from 4 to 6%.

At the time people tended to move every 7 years where the taxes would pop up to an uncapped assessment. I've been here since 81 and I'll be staying until they wheel me out horizontal or put me in a rest home.

Neighbor would love to have me sell him a 12 x 50' strip of land as 7' of his garage is on my property. No way that is happening, not letting county have a chance of popping up 42 years of capped taxes.

Last edited by Szumi; 06/08/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by JeffA
I contest every property tax increase.

Win about half the time, don't just be a bobble head and pay it, go down fighting.

Maybe where you are but here they made a rule change that if you protest they get to come into your house and inspect for upgrades inside that they wouldn’t otherwise know about like a remodeled kitchen and bath.
That happened to us. When we built a new house in 2016, we built on a slab due to being on a lake and doing a craw space was going to be way too expensive because of flood plain requirements.
When they did the assessment, they showed us having a craw space. When I contested, they insisted on coming out. They then found out we had a walk-in attic, so this added item was about a wash. Keep the bastards out of your house if you can.

3825 24336
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Death and taxes is two certainties in life your fugkd either way

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Taxes being raised arbitrarily, the reason we voted to limit the tax raises. Another thing some should look at, prior to wanting to join Idaho. Join Idaho go broke. Paying high taxes on personal propery!
Idaho has not had and I have not filed "personal property tax" in ten years. I used to have to file and pay on every piece of ag equipment on the place.

I have long wished that Idaho had a State Law requiring any county to purchase any property for appraised value at the owner's request. Assessments would drop very quickly.
They don't need you to pay those taxes. They get it up front as sales tax. They're getting it, just in a different way. To think your or my local and state government, don't want all you have is inconsistent with their actions.🤔
6% sales tax on every purchase plus Idaho income tax rate ALMOST equals Oregon's income tax rate.

Thank God this is the last year I will ever file an Oregon NR tax form.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My wife turned 65 this year so ours is frozen unless the millage rate increases.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Just like Montana. Thank all the Californicators and WA. people for moving in driving up price....and taxes.

I've said it before and say it again. It's your greedy friends and neighbors that set the asking price. They don't give a phuhck about you when they sell or are you just pissed they aske you before they sold out?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
My little hideyhole in Iowa went from 65k to 126 k in two years. Figured it cost me 100 dollars more a month in taxes and insurance

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Krazi
My little hideyhole in Iowa went from 65k to 126 k in two years. Figured it cost me 100 dollars more a month in taxes and insurance
What did you get, you didn't already have, before taxes were raised?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
25 years ago the value of property in Silicon Valley went up like a pyramid scheme.
Now with Amazon and Microsoft, it has happened to Seattle.
Just get on zillow and zoom in on the price of a 2 bedroom fixer upper...whoops, they were all torn down to make mansions.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Heyman. A 12 by 20 storage shed and a woodburner. Mostly because rural hasn't been adjusted for 20 years

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
About the only thing Cali has ever got right is the way they do property tax assessments. They assess based on the purchase price of the house. If you paid $20k for it 40 years ago, that’s what you’re assessed. Our home and taxes have skyrocketed over the last 7 years. The dick assessor is fond of telling people the tax rate hasn’t changed in 15 years. Well of course not dumbass, the assessments have more than taken care of that. Smug little guy has a hard on for anyone with a nicer place than his. A bunch of us had a big blowup about it at one of the monthly commissioners meetings a few years ago that kind of reined them in. Gotta let them know or they’ll just keep on spending every little penny they bring in.

As a former city council member, you have a lot of power over things like this. These people live where you do so they can’t pull garbage like this and hide in DC or your state capitol. Get active and let these turds know they need to be on a budget just like everyone else.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The county I live in has approved the construction of 233 wind turbins. Do you think this will increase or reduce my tax assessment? 30 of them are all within 1 and a half mile of my house with 8 of those inside a half mile.

Christopher Columbus, the greatest Democrat of them all.

He left not knowing where he was going, and when he got there he did not know where he was. He returned not knowing where he had been, and did it all on someone else's money.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
California sucks hugely.

But, Prop 13 doesn't.

Limited to a 2% increase in assessed value from your base year, limited to 1% tax on that value.

As long as there are no major improvements, we get assessed on what the value was the year we bought it, plus any 2% increases they've added. According to the RE websites, our value has increased nearly 50% in the 5.5 years we've been here.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (44mc, 35, 338rcm, 7mm_Loco, 6mmbrfan, 14 invisible), 1,344 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,451
Posts18,507,953
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.