Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
for MN?

I suppose you do huh?

well dust off the deer rifle & tell me when.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
They are for area 172 does that matter?

We are pretty busy until Christmas anyway...Damnit!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any tag. Plus you can buy extra tags for $2.50 each.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/12126531.html

TB fears cause special deer hunt in northwestern Minnesota
By Doug Smith, Star Tribune

Last update: December 4, 2007 - 7:59 PM

Print this story
In an unusual move, a special deer hunt will be held this winter in northwestern Minnesota to reduce deer densities there because of bovine tuberculosis.

And after the 16-day hunt, federal sharpshooters will again be brought in to further reduce deer numbers.

The action announced Tuesday comes after three more deer - out of 1,100 deer killed by hunters this fall - tested positive for the disease. That brings the total of infected wild deer to 13 since surveillance began in 2005, when the disease was first discovered there in cattle.

Since then, eight infected cattle herds in Roseau and Beltrami counties have been destroyed.

The special 16-day deer hunt will occur Dec. 29-Jan. 13 in deer Permit Area 101, which is near Skime, Minn.

"To my knowledge, we've never reopened the deer season for this reason,'' said Lou Cornicelli, Department of Natural Resources big game supervisor.

"The goal is to dramatically lower deer densities in these areas both to protect the wild deer herd and to reduce possible risk to cattle herds,'' Cornicelli said.

Few deer that will be killed by hunters should be infected, meaning they will be safe to eat, Cornicelli said. Even infected animals would be safe to eat as long as they are cooked to 170 degrees, he said. DNR officials will staff registration stations there on the weekends to examine deer for bovine TB.

Cornicelli said he had no idea how many hunters will participate, but said about 500 hunted there in a special antlerless hunt in October. "It's 350 miles from the Twin Cities, so I don't expect to draw a lot of folks from around the state,'' he said.

Also, much of the zone includes private land, so hunters will need landowner permission in those areas. Some public lands are in the zone.

Hunters can use any 2007 license or permit from any zone. They can also buy additional disease management permits for $2.50, or deer also can be tagged with any remaining unused tags from the 2007 season.

So far, about 1,400 deer have been killed in the 450-square-mile area this fall.

There are many copies.
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dave,

You Lucky DOG!!! Get at Man... cool

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I might have to sit out this last weekend of black powder & hold off till dec 29. it's supposed to be very cold this weekend.

I field dressed that doe the other night very quickly & the temp was zero. My hands were so numb & frozen quickly that when I was working a strip of hide from the sternum the the tailbone to include milk bag, sex organs etc... I temoved a path about 8" wide that didn't stop at the tail, I didn't even realise I had took the tail plus another 4" of rump hide in my frozen haste!! TFF!! well, I'm just sayin, it's easy to slip & make a mistake with those frozen hands & a bad cut that far back in the woods in -20 degree weather could be a bad thing.

Although I joke about it, gutting deer really isn't my fav thing to do, and doing it in sub zero temp is really, really not my fav thing to do.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
dave,

It was -15 at 5am here this morning. Hasn't been that cold here in a very long time. I'm trying to figure out how bad I want to shoot a doe. Our antlerless season starts today. It may warm up enough to sit for a few hours...but like you said, then you have to take care of it. A pair of rubber gloves may help keep the cold at bay for a few minutes while a guy cleans the deer though. I can usually do it in about 5-7 minutes.

Tom

Last edited by tzone; 12/06/07.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
damn straight.

are you in?

So when it says any tag does that mean if I have a filled archery tag that I could still buy the mgmt tags for $2.50? confused

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
um, did you buy a firearms license at all this year jimbo?

or just the stick & string license?

Something clever here.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Nope. First year since I started deer hunting that I didn't buy a firearms tag. Simply because there isn't that many deer around and we can only take one in my area. So I thought I would just try my luck with the bow tag only. Had I known I might have an opportunity for a late, LATE season rifle hunt I would have been all over it. cry Spose I'm screwed huh?

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
i dunno, i think you can still do it if you want. i'm sure there is a way.

like a license upgrade or sumthin.

it reads like this:

new or replacement licenses can be obtained at any electronic licensing system agent

I dunno, might be worth a try.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rooster7

So when it says any tag does that mean if I have a filled archery tag that I could still buy the mgmt tags for $2.50? confused

Well, it looks like you didn't ask me, but when it says "any tag" it means "any tag." However, if you use your bow license, you will have to use your bow. Here's more info.
http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/index.p...n-in-bovine-tb-zone-plans-sharpshooting/

There are many copies.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
No problemo DPole. I was sorta asking in general. That article clarifies it better. Thanks! Yep it looks like I would have to use bow but after getting one already I kinda have the itch to put the 7mm to use. I don't get a chance to use that too often being in a shotgun only zone.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Regular firearms & black powder seasons are behind us here in MN.

I'm waiting for our special late season which will open dec 29. I'm hoping for some endurable temperatures so we can stay in our open elevated stands for a while without freezing out.

deer are really moving out there now, I was out there last weekend to plow the road & I got out in the woods with snowmobile & packed some trails down.

If the weather cooperates it could be a lot of fun.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Our final firearms season ended on Sunday, with no shots fired by me. However, I am looking at no less than 25 deer out of my office right now across the highway in a field. I have never seen them out there before. Yesterday there was about 50, maybe more too hard to count them all. Yesterday several were beauty bucks. Only one buck today, an 8pt, but pretty nice.

Who says they don't know when the season is over eh?

We had pretty cold temps on Sat. morning, some where in the -5 range. To cold for me to sit much more than a couple of hours. Hard to sit still too. I'm guessing your temps were quite a bit colder than that?

Let us know how the late season works out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tommy-

Still have my archery tag. Just how "beauty" are those bucks? grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Tom, we had -20 sat night while staying out at the shack sat night, it was a good cold weather test run. we stayed nice & warm but we didn't exactly heat it with a candle... burned a little more wood than normal that night smile

it had been getting up to zero from time to time over the weekend but i just wasn't into sitting in a stand with the smoke pole when I knew I could sit with a scoped rifle in just a couple of weeks & have more time to work with to boot.

yeah the deer know when the pressure is off, that's for sure.

my deer are going to be pretty confused when rifle shots break the january winter silence!!!

"WTF??? Hey!!! No fair!!!"

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
A couple of the are REAL beauty, like 150 or so beauty...but it is on 3M property and it is a big no no to hunt in there. Trust me many have tried.

Durring gun season they patrol the perimiter to keep out the rif raf smile. My buddy lives across the street from the land and shoots some monsters and I mean monsters with his bow on his own 10 acres. In 2000 he shot a 180 12pt with a shotgun on his prop.

Just try to keep the drool off your keyboard will ya...

Tom

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dave,

Maybe ol crooked toe will stick his neck out in Jan for you. With my luck, his horns would fall off smile

-20 is just about right to sit in the shack and see if the cooler still keeps the beer cold while the shack is warm. I'm not sure I would sit with a rife in those temps either... might be a good time for still hunting.

We used to have an old school bus for our shack. You can imagine the gas we used to burn in that baby to keep it tolarable temp wise in there when it was 10-20 below. When you are 8 or 9 years old though, it is all fun when your out there. Hell when your 30 its still fun.

Page 28 of 1,842 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,489 guests, and 833 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.