Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Are there any quantitative tests or studies comparing rimfire pistols against their contemporaries side by side? Colt, High Standard, S&W, Browning, and other post WW2 semi-automatics.

Colt Woodsman, SW 41, High Standard Victor, Browning Medalist, etc...

H&R Discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqJrMvZZK
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Aether tech: I am not aware of any such tests/studies.
Would be interesting to see the results if any have been conducted - and I am assuming your are referring to/inquiring about inherent accuracy?.
I own all of the above (with the exception now of the Browning Medalist which I sold some time back) and as an avid (but not an expert any longer) pistol shooter "I" could not tell the difference, I am sure, in their inherent accuracy.
I do have a bunch of heavy barrel Browning BuckMark pistols and a Browning Nomad that shoot every bit as accurately as "I" need.
I say - remember, every gun (pistol/Rifle) is an individual and as such they may vary (and often do) in obtainable accuracy from gun to gun within that brand/model.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Several years ago I accuracy tested some target pistols I had. Finding the ammo they liked seemed to be more important than the pistol. They all seemed to be able to group under 1.5" @ 50 yards with the right ammo of the 4 different rounds I had to test with. Some of them did 1/2 of that at 50. A surprise to me was how well the TX made High Standards shot.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by saleen322
Several years ago I accuracy tested some target pistols I had. Finding the ammo they liked seemed to be more important than the pistol. They all seemed to be able to group under 1.5" @ 50 yards with the right ammo of the 4 different rounds I had to test with. Some of them did 1/2 of that at 50. A surprise to me was how well the TX made High Standards shot.

hmm, ok. I've been wanting a Victor - but specificalyl, do you remember which ones grouped the best (the 0.75"'ers?)

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
My local group does a pistol match at 50' standing, open sight, 2 hand hold, 10 shots in 20 secs on B29 targets. My High Standard 106 Military and my Volquartsen are interchangeable score wise. There are 3 High Standards in our group and none give up any points to the Volquartsen, the S&W 41's, the S&W Victory PC and the Target Buckmark pistols in our group.

If they were shot from a bench at greater distance I think they would score just as well.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by aether_tech

hmm, ok. I've been wanting a Victor - but specificalyl, do you remember which ones grouped the best (the 0.75"'ers?)

The TX Victor was one of the best at 0.751" with SK Standard Plus @ 50 yards. The only High Standard that did better was a Trophy that shot 0.66".

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Wow, wonderful group of very fine target pistols. Any of them would shoot better than the average pistol shooter could hold. Would like to own a couple of them. 👍👍

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ransom rest and an assortment of ammo.
Lot variance, fouling, cleaning interval.....lot to do for such a test.

And in the end even the best rig and ammo may not fit the shooter.

I dislike Model 41s but like a Woodsman... only for field use. Hate the bridged rear sights on some High Standards. My choice was a 1911 w Kart slide. It worked well for me as a field gun when i had good eyes LOL

Too big and heavy for a holster, was not a side arm, but a primary for small game.

It went bye bye, now I run a Buckmark w an optic. Not as fancy or expensive but it shoots good.

Only other rig I might get, Hammerli Exesse.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/13/23.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pops ran a Mitchell HS w MATCO bbl.for a few yrs in IHMSA

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I shot a model 41 and a Victor a few times in local matches. I bought a 41 but only because I found a used one cheap. I always liked the Victor better. For me the sights were more crisp and precise. That was with very young eyes though. I doubt it would matter now.

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Well, it looks like the Victor, if i can find one at a good price.

Are there any pistols that ever mounted, or could mount, rifle style aperture sights? Traditional pistol/or rifle irons with my astigmatism is the worst shooting experience. Aperture is ok for me(or a scope)

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by aether_tech
Well, it looks like the Victor, if i can find one at a good price.

Are there any pistols that ever mounted, or could mount, rifle style aperture sights? Traditional pistol/or rifle irons with my astigmatism is the worst shooting experience. Aperture is ok for me(or a scope)

I have doubts that an aperture would work well with a pistol. Removing the cheek as an anchor point has me concerned.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ransom rest and an assortment of ammo.
Lot variance, fouling, cleaning interval.....lot to do for such a test.

This /\ /\ /\

My 41 on average will shoot the best of all my others, but I've been carrying my Buck Mark more lately.

But nothing can hold a candle to my 8 3/8" K22 Model 17 out at 50. It's not just sight radius either, I don't think.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The 1911-22 conversions are very accurate from nelson or marvel and can be bought with fiber optic front sight and adjustable rear with rail for a red dot mount. The barrels are very accurate. With my eyes these days--I am 67 a red dot is almost a must. Fiber optic front sight helps a lot also. The uppers are easy to switch out. You can also buy a LSP BARREL AND RAIL from Brownells for your hi standard and mount a red dot on it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (308ld, 44mc, 3333vl, 10gaugemag, 160user, 257 roberts, 25 invisible), 1,662 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,209
Posts18,503,912
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.