Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My youngest son is getting interested in bows. He's been shooting his older brothers compound, but it's too small to hunt with.

So, I'm curious what bows are decent to start out with and to learn on in the $200'ish ballpark.

He doesn't have to get a ton of accy's with it, but having sights obviously is one of the things that I would like with it at bare minimum. My only experience with archery is crossbows, but he's under the impression that a peep in the string may would help him aim too, but I'm not sure if it would or not?

Would be nice if the string had a loop for a trigger in case he has to hold for a slightly longer amount of time, but he's not using a trigger now and is using two or three fingers, so if it doesn't have one isn't a dealbreaker. But maybe something that may be handy.

Something adjustable in the 55-70 lb territory and adequate for whitetail out to maybe 25 or 30 yards or so.

Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would snatch a good used one off of archerytalk.com. I never buy new bows. I buy them around a couple years old for a substantial savings. It usually takes a few bows to find what you like in a bow. I would let speed and short ATA and brace height not be of concern in the beginning and look for smoothness of draw. And for sure keep the poundage low , maybe 50 lbs. to start. Buy cheapest arrows because they going to get damaged. And yes a peep will help with accuracy. Yes put a d loop on the string and use a release. Most important thing to have right is the draw length. A bow that you can easily change draw length on would be great.

Last edited by jeeper; 06/15/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I personally would go to a large shop with a range and buy new. Starter bows are reasonable and would be set up for your son at the shop as part of the package, draw length poundage, tuning etc. I shoot a Diamond bow for targets and a Bear Royal for hunting, not expensive but works. I have a range that in my yard so I do shoot quite a bit. I spend more.on my fishing bows than my hunting bows.

Plus 1 on inexpensive arrows, there are some fairly decent carbon target arrows available for under $50./dz but be sure to know the length and spine required for his needs. I'm rather small in stature and 76 years old, my bows are set at 45# and I have and shoot 27" shafts.

Releases and D-loops are a real plus on shorter compounds ànd both mine are so equipped. Save finger releases for recurves, straight and lever bows.

Last edited by erich; 06/15/23.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank all of you for your replies.

Currently, he's looking at a couple of different models of used bowtech's.

Since I don't have much experience with bows, I do recall hearing the brand name of bowtech before but admittedly, I don't know what's good or not and what kind of customer service I should expect if it was ever needed.

Are bowtech pretty good quality and CS?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I PMed you about a Diamond Razor Edge. 19-29" draw length, 15#-60# weight .

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B2

johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes sir, I had sent you a text back a couple of minutes ago. I've been in and out of signal today so it may not have came through yet.

It's a great looking one. And should be plenty enough for him to learn on and use hunting too.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i had a bow shop and have some nice used Hoyt bow that are 10 years old but are dang nice shape yet. 612 390 2659 ,they will be real cheap i wish you could come and see them. Pete53 612 390 2659

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you very much for the offer pete53. But, he has decided to get the Diamond Razor from colodog and we both think that will get his feet wet and be enough to learn on and to start hunting with. But, again, I very much appreciate the offer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 48 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,565
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.