Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm still looking for a light, trim hunting pack for hunting deer on a steep hill/mtn top in my area for 3-5 days at most. There is no "second trip" option for hunting this hill. Boned out meat and antlers must go with the gear on the trip out. When you reach your vehicle after the descent (on the way out) you swear you will never go back due to your knees and calves burning. But after a day of recovery and the visions of those trophy bucks in your mind one finds himself contemplating there must be a way!

I have dayhunted the area successfully so I know it can be done. But finding water was a big obstacle. A recent day-climb/scouting trip was succesful in locating a H2O source (Eureka!!!! No, not that Eureka either!)

The pack must be trim as the trail is sparse at times and it is very steep in some areas. I figure a load of 20-25lbs on the way up and up to 60lbs including meat & antlers on the descent down. The material must be fairly tough for the brush bucking portion of the trip (gad what a bitch it is - Lols!) plus the fact I'm not getting any younger. I would post pics of the area but for obvious reasons won't.

The Kifaru Siwash with a cargo chair sounds like it was built and designed to order for this type of hunt.

Any thoughts, suggestions greatly appreciated. I have most of the gear figured out except the pack?

Kute, I am looking forward to your thoughts too!

TIA,

MtnHtr

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
There is nothing available, that I know of that will meet your criteria as well as the K-Siwash, I have had one since 2005, quite customized and it is a superb pack, my favourite bit of kit from Patrick &Co. It is VERY popular among the Kifaruians and I desired one from the moment I first saw it on the Kifaru MB.

The only other option in compact packs is the Mystery Ranch NICE Gen 2 plus Crew Cab; a better pack for heavier loads, but, much heavier itself, not nearly as compact and more costly---BUT, worth it!

I see the Siwash as a deer-grouse pack and the MRNICECC as an elk-grouse pack, with some overlap, of course. I can do about 40 lbs. in comfort on the Siwash suspension, have tried 60-70 lbs. of sandbags and water bottles, it is not quite "there"for me at that weight. Still, I think that it is your best choice, over-all.

A couple more points, one is that Patrick and Kifaru are VERY honourable people to deal with and while this pack IS quite pricey, mine cost $770.00 rigged, they DO stand behind their gear without any bullschitt, IME. Nobody else really makes anything like the Siwash although their Navigator on the military side of the MB is also VERY interesting and has certain features that "might" be preferable to you for some trips.

Yeah, I would buy one, I have and really enjoy mine, a very well-designed and useful pack which holds all you need for short trips and is easy to bushwhack with. I like the Cargo Chair, backpocket, gps pockets, large possibles pockets on each side and a handgun bearer, I have 3 gps pockets and may get one for my off-side shoulder strap to carry a gps I am going to buy.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
U might want to ask them to add a powerpull as well , a benefit if u like to cinch up your waistbelt.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Siwash, a Med. or Lg. pod, and your good to go.

I find myself not taking my CC anymore these days as I really like how the pod's attach and secure. The pod's are lighter than the CC for the trip in, and to me, putting heavy items outside the pack for the trip home isn't ideal. I'd rather put the heavy meat inside, and pod my lighter gear to the outside. For this the pods work well.

I didn't find myself using the CC in chair mode all that often either...

I have a Spikecamp and a Longhunter Rondesvous and could use either for deer, but neither are as good a match. I'd have to pocket/pod/pouch the crap outta the Spike to get it to work, especially in cold weather...and then the load wouldn't be anywhere's near as comfy.

The LHR would certainly carry the load the best and does not require a CC/pod/pouch to do it, but the longer frame/stays do not slip through the brush as well while stillhunting.

The Siwash splits the difference between my other packs and has become my goto pack for solo whitetail hunting where I'm looking for the one shot load out to go home.

Last edited by ken999; 12/06/07.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I don't have any experience with this pack, but the Kifaru ZXR on the military side looks interesting. They say it is a combination of the LH and Siwash suspensions. It's a couple pounds heavier than the Siwash though.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I believe Kifaru rates the ZXR to carry the same amount of weight with the same amount of comfort as the LH, even though the frame is a few inches shorter. The Siwash is rated at around 80% of the LH IIRC, and has a bit shorter frame than the ZXR.

The ZXR has the top down compression, which might enable the user to skip bringing along a pod, helping offset the weight difference between the ZXR and Siwash. I'm a big fan of the 8 compression straps on the Siwash....namely the top two. Many times the pack is not fully loaded for me, even when carrying camp. The top two straps pull the back of the pack towards my shoulders, making the side profile of the pack more wedge shaped. This makes it even easier to get under snags and brush. I'm not sure the ZXR would be as clean, but it would likely be very close.

M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks for all the replies so far. The more I learn about this pack the more I think it's the right choice for my hunt situation.

I would like to see this pack in action so I have some idea how you fellas are rigging your sleeping pads, accessories, etc. Any photos?

Thanks again, some great info so far.

MtnHtr

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm still looking for a light, trim hunting pack for hunting deer on a steep hill/mtn top in my area for 3-5 days at most. There is no "second trip" option for hunting this hill. Boned out meat and antlers must go with the gear on the trip out. When you reach your vehicle after the descent (on the way out) you swear you will never go back due to your knees and calves burning. But after a day of recovery and the visions of those trophy bucks in your mind one finds himself contemplating there must be a way!

I can totally relate and will be watching this post.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MtnHunter,
I have the Navigator, which, as has been previously mentioned, is in essence the military version of the Siwash. Anyway, I have one for sale in OD with cargo chair and it is brand new. It has the power pull belt.
There are pictures in my for sale ad on the Kifaru forum:
http://forums.kifaru.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=127341&page=1#Post127341
Anyway, since I've chosen to stick with my Longhunter and my son is using an EMR, I will not be using this. To do you a solid, I would be willing to let you test run it if you pay shipping. I would even let you try it for a couple of months. It will just be sitting in my closet anyway. Depending on where you are, my guess is that shipping would be about $20 or $30. At least that would help you decide. If my understanding is correct, the Navigator and Siwash have the exact same suspension. Let me know if you'ld like to try it out.

Last edited by Dakotan; 12/06/07.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
By the way, I would be seeking no commitment from you at all other than to agree to ship it back to me or, to a buyer if one should say they want it. Like I said, you could test run it and use it instead of having it gather dust.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very sporting offer! There are a lot of true gents on this forum.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Until recently I had a Siwash and generally agree with everything said above...what I didn't like was it was a pannel loader and at times I just couldn't get everything in w/o worrying about busting the zipper. Someone wanted it more than me so I sold it. what I did get (used from the Kifaru site) is a Zulu. since it is a top loader with a expandable collar and can actually get more in than the Siwash, yet it compacts down even smaller. It also has built in pockets w/o zippers and my cargo chair fits. Also have a MR ranch crewcab which is more of the same but built for really heavy loads.....actually feel I pretty much have it nailed as far as my backpack needs. Both Kifaru and MR are absolutly best quality. There are a lot of guys rotating out of Iraq and Afg., so if you watch the Kifaru site deals are to be had. I saved a bunch of $$$ on the Zulu.

LC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stillhunter73
Very sporting offer! There are a lot of true gents on this forum.

+1

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Dont have any pictures of the Zulu yet but here are a few of the Crewcab.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

LC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In 2 days, I've seen this fine offer and Kutenay has offerred to help me field test a pack I can't get near without buying. I've also got a lot of "offline" advice that helps me.

I don't want to jip the other forums, but the backpacking forum never ceases to amaze me with it's sincerity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Kutenay is very helpful, for certain.
Good folks and lots of good advice on this forum.
I think this is my favorite forum at the 'Fire.
smile

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Lefty, which do you like the best between the Zulu and the MR Crewcab?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ka,

I havent used the Zulu enough yet. Have only used it local deer hunting and one overnight..about 25lb of weight. But my impressions (if that is worth anything) is the crew cab has a much more substantial harness, waist belt, and frame that really comes into it's own when fully loaded. it is just a more robust pack. When all cinched down it really does become a part of you.
The padded waist belt has taken a "set" and fits me perfectly. There is no way that waist belt is going to slip down regardless of how much weight you put in the pack.

The Zulu feels much lighter and trimmer. Since it is a top loader you can just stuff things in the top and pull the lid shut and go. I like simple. The waist belt is not as padded nor is the harness suspension. It also snugs up nice and feels like you could just take off with it. I would imagine that with a really heavy load though the crew cab might be better. By really heavy I mean 60-100 lbs. The owner of the Zulu told me though he carried really heavy loads (claymores,ammo, mortar rounds etc.) you get the picture, and it was really comfortable. Since I have no intention of carrying stuff that heavy unless I have to, the Zulu will probably be my first choice for everyday or one -three day hunts, and the MR for longer trips or where I am sure to have to pack meat and or gear out a long ways. The MR is also a bit more of a complicated pack that trades simplicity for more versatility.

Will try to get some pictures ofthe Zulu next to a dead deer this w/e.

LC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In action. Works as advertised, you won't regret it.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have dismissed the crewcab until I grabbed those pics above and zoomed in on them a bit. That thing is very cool!

MR really needs to something with that website. Their pictures flat out suck.

I could see serious use of the crewcab, personally. Good lord, gove me that with a power pull waist belt of thinner origin...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,228
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.