Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
One of the modifications I have in mind for my "new" old 51 GMC is a 3 speed Brown-Lipe auxiliary transmission that fits into the driveline where the center carrier bearing is now. That turns the 4 speed it's running now into a 12 speed, with underdrive, direct, and overdrive for every gear in the main transmission. If the truck has the optional vacuum shift 2 speed rear end (haven't picked the rig up yet) that will make 24 forwards and 6 ratios in reverse, plus an extra shifter to play with!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Old and simple. No A/C.

Flathead 8. Also have an extra crossover pipe where the exhaust routes up on top and across right behind the radiator.

One of these days I will make it tick again. Great Great uncles then great grandad, then grandad and now mine.

Possibly the ugliest body Ford ever had.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Flat head ? You are describing the 292 V8. With the cross over exhaust pipe. Why Ford did that I will never know.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by poboy
The '53 Chevy windshield wipers didn't work.
A vacuum line powers the wipers.
I open up the little motor to find a dried up, split
leather gasket. I have leather scraps.
Wipers fixed.
Great example. As noted above by another poster, I once added a small aux vacuum storage tank to a 48 Chev so that the wipers would not slow/stop when accelerating or in other low vac situations.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
One of the modifications I have in mind for my "new" old 51 GMC is a 3 speed Brown-Lipe auxiliary transmission that fits into the driveline where the center carrier bearing is now. That turns the 4 speed it's running now into a 12 speed, with underdrive, direct, and overdrive for every gear in the main transmission. If the truck has the optional vacuum shift 2 speed rear end (haven't picked the rig up yet) that will make 24 forwards and 6 ratios in reverse, plus an extra shifter to play with!
That is a great project - please update as it happens. My little plan is more simple - - - our 1970 C30 is geared way low at the rear diff, so cruising at 55 mph is running fairly high revs. I have a two speed (over/under) Brown Lipe and hope to install it as a mechanically operated overdrive unit. Not perfect, but helpful on runs to town.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JMR40
An ad for an old GMC truck. They are bragging that SOME of these trucks made it 150,000 miles before needing an overhaul.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/18504751#Post18504751

Yep, you could put new cross-hatch in the cylinders, then re-ring it and put in new bearings, all with the engine in the vehicle. Try that with today's vehicles - IF you can find the parts to do it.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by grouseman
Originally Posted by JMR40
An ad for an old GMC truck. They are bragging that SOME of these trucks made it 150,000 miles before needing an overhaul.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/18504751#Post18504751
Yep, you could put new cross-hatch in the cylinders, then re-ring it and put in new bearings, all with the engine in the vehicle. Try that with today's vehicles - IF you can find the parts to do it.
Very true. T'was somewhat more extensive, but did such a rebuild on the slab at end of Dad's driveway in summer of 1963 - on a 54 Chev 235 c.i. six. Would be fun to do that again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kwg020
Old and simple. No A/C.

Flathead 8. Also have an extra crossover pipe where the exhaust routes up on top and across right behind the radiator.

One of these days I will make it tick again. Great Great uncles then great grandad, then grandad and now mine.

Possibly the ugliest body Ford ever had.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Flat head ? You are describing the 292 V8. With the cross over exhaust pipe. Why Ford did that I will never know.

kwg
Brain fart. Y block.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by CCCC
I have a two speed (over/under) Brown Lipe and hope to install it as a mechanically operated overdrive unit. Not perfect, but helpful on runs to town.

With a little machine shop tinkering you can adapt an air brake actuator for a big rig as a shifter for that over/under box. That allows you to use a flip switch on the dash for O/D instead of an extra shifter in the cab. If that interests you, drop me a PM.

Attached Images
Big GMC (Copy).JPG (24.99 KB, 198 downloads)

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by TheKid
Is that yours High Noon? Sharp looking old rig.

Nope, but thanks. It's a '58 Studebaker Transtar NAPCO 4WD. I missed out on one just like it many years ago. Feller who had it sold it out from under me. I do have a '63 Studebaker R/2 Super Hawk (factory supercharged).

I'm currently looking for a '77 F250 Super or Crew. Plan is to drop either a 12V Cummins or a 521 BBF in it...

Like this one, 'cept this one is a '79:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I had a '77 in the early '90s, which I drove from Big D to AK, but it caught on fire. Twice. schitty new Edelbrock carburetors.
The best body style ever put on a pickup, right down to the rectangular headlights.

Too bad they were only a 2 year deal before they went to a different body in '80.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

Nope, but thanks. It's a '58 Studebaker Transtar NAPCO 4WD. I missed out on one just like it many years ago. Feller who had it sold it out from under me. I do have a '63 Studebaker R/2 Super Hawk (factory supercharged).

I'm currently looking for a '77 F250 Super or Crew. Plan is to drop either a 12V Cummins or a 521 BBF in it...

I had a '77 in the early '90s, which I drove from Big D to AK, but it caught on fire. Twice. schitty new Edelbrock carburetors.
The best body style ever put on a pickup, right down to the rectangular headlights.

Too bad they were only a 2 year deal before they went to a different body in '80.
I agree except I think it’s tied with the 71-72 Chevys. I’m not at all a GM guy but I’ve always loved the look of the 72 Chevy. Have a good friend with a really nice 72 SWB 4x4 that’s dark green with a white top. Beautiful little truck.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I agree except I think it’s tied with the 71-72 Chevys. I’m not at all a GM guy but I’ve always loved the look of the 72 Chevy. Have a good friend with a really nice 72 SWB 4x4 that’s dark green with a white top. Beautiful little truck.
As far as the 67-72 I liked the 67. No park lights in front fenders and if lucky you could end up with a small back glass.

I redid a 68 Chevrolet that we put a 67 cab on, small back glass. Bed from a 72. God knows what year of other parts were on that truck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last simple truck I had was 1978 Dodge Adventurer 200 with 400 CI engine. Great truck, should have kept it. Also had 1977 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton with 350 CI engine another great truck.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a '68 Chebbie straight six, three on the tree stepside 6' bed half tonner. Fun little truck but it would get stuck on a dewy lawn, and if you had a load of dirt in the bed, you could get no higher than second gear and maybe 45 mph. It finally rusted out parking it outside on the Florida east coast, where the haze in the air isn't humidity, it's salt. Heater but no A/C which was more than a little inconvenient since I owned it in Mississippi and Florida. I remember rolling over 100,000 on the odometer just as I crested the Pineda Causeway in Cocoa Beach. For all its faults, I did like that truck.

Just did an internet search. DAMN! trucks like that are listed at $26,000 to $88,000! LINK

Last edited by RockyRaab; 06/15/23.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The biggest problem with these old trucks is they were never designed to go down the highway at 80 mph. I’ve a 79 chevy swb 1/2t 4x4 with 3.73 gears. The engine is running some 3200 rpm at that speed. It’s not a good recipe for engine wear or fuel economy. Further, those smog era motors made 150 hp. They wouldn’t be able to run in O/D and pull the truck at that speed. I’m going to be installing an 6L90e into it. That should cut the revs to around 2100 rpm. I also have an 6.0 L LS engine going in. It’s rated at 380 hp. I’ve a Holly ECU going to control both the trans and engine so I can tune them to do whatever I need. That’s lots easier than changing the jets on the QJet and dicking around with the transmission valve body. Best of both worlds.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Funny you mention being stuck on wet grass. My Grandad was adamant for years that 4x4 was nothing but trouble, waste of money and bound to be broken all the time. PosiTrac or in his case since he drives Fords, TracLok was all you needed. He’d get a new pickup and immediately stick a pair of CO-OP mud grips on the back axle and he was ready to roll.

Dad has many stories about how they also had a shovel and come along in the back to get unstuck, often.

Finally after years of driving 4wd pickups and Broncos my dad was able to convince him that never had he had to do any extra work on a vehicle because it was a 4x4 and he bought a brand new Lariat 150 4x4 in 1990. Now he wouldn’t dream of driving a truck that was just a 2wd and he switches the knob on the dash into 4x4 any time he drives into the pasture if it’s rained at all in the last few months!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My old '77 F150, Super Cab, long bed, had a built 400 with well north of 400 HP. Driving back from AK in '92, I did something stupid. On the back of my truck were such stickers as "American by Birth, Texan by the Grace of God," "Don't Mess with Texas," etc... and of course Texas plates. At about 2 AM on the 405 in LA, a Porsche 911 drove up beside me and the driver tried to get my attention, when he did, he gave me a thumbs up and as he sped off, I noticed he had TX plates as well. I quickly caught up to him and we proceeded to race down the 405. Since my old Ford's spedo only went up to 85, I'm not sure just how fast we were going, but I estimate our speed was at least 130 mph. Although I didn't beat him in the race, I easily kept up with him. 'Ol Blue was damn fast, scary fast in fact. Not real smart, but it was fun - just happy I didn't have a blow-out and crash and burn.

I also like the fact that whenever I drove 'Ol Blue through a parking lot, I would set off all the car alarms in my wake with my burbling exhaust! Helluva' truck. I still dream about that truck on occasion.

Another time, I was at a truck stop resting and I spotted an old-timer way across the lot do a double take when he saw my truck. He then made a beeline walking all the way across the lot in my direction. When he got up to my window he said: "That's a mighty long truck ya' got there." I replied: "Thank ye," and he returned from whence he came.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/15/23.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
- - - Just did an internet search. DAMN! trucks like that are listed at $26,000 to $88,000! LINK
Holy smokes - for the slant hood series? That's good. Maybe I had better look into the value of our 68 4wd 4sp Suburban, which is in similar looking condition.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGray
When this old truck acts up, I just think on it for a minute or two and the answer is usually pretty obvious. Fix it myself and move on. Wish all my newer schit was as easy to figure out

Sweet.

Mine was not as nice.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
"...much less durable and long lasting than today’s vehicles,"

Come back and tell us that when your "today's vehicle" is 50 years old.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They may be 50 years old and still running, but there also may be hardly any original parts still on them. Many might be on their third engine and transmission, have hardly any body panels that haven't been cut, welded, and patched - or sat for 3/4 of those years undriven.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 260Remguy, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,130
Posts18,502,601
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.