Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I took 8 of my new purchases from the winter out to sight in with new scopes yesterday. Overall, it went well. But one thing I did notice I had a question on.

I had 4 P64 Model 70s yesterday. The 338 Win Mag and 30-06 cycled beautifully. But I also have 2 custom 70s chambered in 7mm Weatherby and 270 Weatherby. While they cycled okay in terms of entering the chamber, when ejecting the spent cartridge they both kind of fell out of the guns opposed to being ejected with any type of velocity. If I would cycle them hard, I could get a little better result.

I've done some minor work on other p64's but nothing with the bolt or ejector. Is this a normal occurrence when a gun is rechambered? Is it fixable for a novice or is it better suited for a gunsmith?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like it might be the extractor instead of the ejector. Other people who know lots more than me will likely chime in shortly.
Phil

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It’s a fixed ejector blade. If you want to send spent cases flying, you gotta run the bolt with authority.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TenX
Sounds like it might be the extractor instead of the ejector. Other people who know lots more than me will likely chime in shortly.
Phil

Good post. Sometimes that is overlooked when having ejection issues, but can be directly related. Someone may have took too much off the extractor, trying to make those WBY cartridges work properly. I've seen it a few times. I've also seen extractors, with hair line cracks that are hard to see with the naked eyes, give problems like this.

Maybe redneck can chime in and give more detail on what he's seen??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It's possible that the ejector's a bit shorter than standard, but another possibility is that the ejected round might be slightly contacting the scope tube and thereby interrupting the ejection process.. Since they've been 'rechambered', I would first remove the scope and check again.. If rounds eject normally, then investigate the scope's position..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bobdahunter
I took 8 of my new purchases from the winter out to sight in with new scopes yesterday. Overall, it went well. But one thing I did notice I had a question on.

I had 4 P64 Model 70s yesterday. The 338 Win Mag and 30-06 cycled beautifully. But I also have 2 custom 70s chambered in 7mm Weatherby and 270 Weatherby. While they cycled okay in terms of entering the chamber, when ejecting the spent cartridge they both kind of fell out of the guns opposed to being ejected with any type of velocity. If I would cycle them hard, I could get a little better result.

I've done some minor work on other p64's but nothing with the bolt or ejector. Is this a normal occurrence when a gun is rechambered? Is it fixable for a novice or is it better suited for a gunsmith?
With the bolt removed, slide a piece of brass up under the extractor. Will the claw hold the brass onto the bolt face?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Originally Posted by bobdahunter

With the bolt removed, slide a piece of brass up under the extractor. Will the claw hold the brass onto the bolt face?

I like checking my extractors like that too. You'll find out real quick if it does not hold the empty casing, I'd be suspect of the extractor. Redneck also brings up a good suggestion. Often when I hear a "gunsmith" has done something to a rifle, I am suspect of the work. Especially if the rifle does not work properly. It's rechambered, what was it originally? The ejector may be the wrong size like Lee said.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks for the responses. Interesting part is that both guns were rebarreled before I purchased them, and both from different sellers. So thought it was interesting that both suffered from the same issue. I do have another p64 custom 70 in 458 Lott and that one does not have the issue.

Heading to Africa for a hunt tomorrow, so I'll try these suggestions when I return in a couple weeks and report back with my findings.

Bob

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1_deuce, 1minute, 160user, 21, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,856
Posts18,478,514
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.