krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Krp,

What fo you think of Guayos on the Trail. Used to stop there on the way up to hunt with JLG.

They are brothers, Guayos in Miami is closed wed, the trail is closed tuesdays, maybe mondays also now. They do that so one is always open. They have the same recipes and menus, same chips, slight variation in taste, very close.

My wife likes authentic albondigas soup with clear broth, on the trail's soup is red and tastes like Campbells veg soup... that's the only complaint.

I've eaten at on the trail in the last month fishing on a wed, it was good!

Kent

Copy. Have eaten at both many times but the Tucson to Rim drive it was more convenient to stop @ on the Trail.

Regards

Lupe's is almost like the Globe area mex food, thought maybe they were related but I don't think so.

Kent

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kent,

do you happen to know what part of Mexico the families are from?

Regional variation in things like the soup you mentioned, or those chips I have to try one day, are what make finding good Mexican food special.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Sonoran style, but not the commercialized Sonoran style, very unique sauces and flavors found no where else. Not americanized at all.

Kent

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Kent,

Now that you mention it Lupe's is pretty close to the globe area cuisine.

How I miss good mex food.

Regards

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Kent,

J, I bet it's tough where you are. Maybe not as bad as NW PA in 1999, or Harrisburg PA in '79. I was jonesin' bad there.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I worked on Oahu early 90s, looked in the yellow pages for a mex food restaurant, there was one on the island, downtown Honolulu... I don't know what the chit it was they brought me, you'd never guess it was mexican food and tasted worse.

Kent

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
As a kid went to Michigan for a couple months with a buddy. His family took us out for Mexican food about halfway through the trip. I was so excited!

Then we pulled into their "Mexican" restaurant...Taco Bell.

What a letdown...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since we're relating some incidents.

'79 in Harrisburg PA, there was no Mexican food to be found (by me anyway) so I decided to make some shredded beef burritos for my friend who put me up when I first got there. Beef, onions, garlic, even some chilies weren't too hard to find, I think I found some "Pace" type salsa, then went to 3-4 grocery stores for the flour tortillas. At one, after some searching, I decided to ask a young lady working there if I had missed them. She directed me to an aisle and pointed up at a box of preformed hard corn taco shells and said "Oh, you mean these". Can't remember where I finally found them, but I did get some burritos made.

NW PA in '99. Asked a dude I worked with where I might find some. He said there's a restaurant up the road in Jamestown NY. OK, the Sears store and the big grocery are there so I can tie in some shopping and get a Mexican meal. I check the menu, the waitress comes to take my order. I'll have the beef burrito." would you like onions and peppers on that?" I didn't say it out loud but thought that's an odd question, however I am in NW NY and these folks think garlic in the spaghetti sauce makes it spicy. Yeah, I'd like the onions and peppers. "would you like chips and salsa?" Hmmn? another odd question............sure bring them too.

Food comes, the burrito is served wet, like in NM, which is tolerable. But the red sauce looks a bit funny. Well isn't this interesting, it's got ground beef in it like spaghetti sauce and tastes about the same too. Burrito was edible, ground beef inside though, but there were onions and ............bell peppers. Check comes, I look at it and there's a $3.50 charge for the chips and salsa, and $0.50 each charge for the onions and peppers? WTF I say. Waitress says that's what we charge. I told her I though she was just being polite as some folks don't like onions and peppers and that where I come from chips are set on the table when one sits down. Oh well, never went back to that place and I warned folks away even.

Eventually found a place in Bradford PA, run by a Mexican guy who ran a restaurant in Buckeye, AZ of all place. His wife was from PA and wanted to go back to her family so he decided to open a restaurant there. Wife and I would make the 45 minute drive in all sorts of weather when I needed Mexican food and the folks there thought I was crazy.

'74, Port Angeles WA. Just came out of a back packing trip over the Olympics from the Quinalt Lake side. 2 buddies and I spied an ad for Mexican food in the Yellow Pages. Boom, after freeze dried food for 8 days or so, hell to the yeah. We go, order food, lady brings out the "hot sauce" in one of those big glass dishes with a stainless steel lid and a spot for a spoon handle. Used to have them in places for sugar too. 3 SoCal boys, early 20's, hungry, we ate our food and three jars of their sauce. Get to the register and the lady says, and I'm not scheidting you, " You boys aren't from around here, are you?". We asked how can you tell. "No one around here could eat on dish of that hot sauce and you guys ate three" We laughed and told here we were from down near that border and that was more like baby food where we came from.

Juneau AK, E WA, and a few other places along the way were tough at times too.

In it is contentment

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (6MMWASP, 257_X_50, 907brass, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, AKislander, 9 invisible), 1,457 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,077
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.