Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I posted this in the Big Bore Lever forum, but I thought I might get a few more views here in the general rifle forum.

My 16 year old son has sort of been drifting away from hunting lately, but out of the blue the other day he tells me he'd like to have a lever action 45-70. I am thinking about buying him a 45-70 for his 17th birthday in a couple of weeks. I have never owned a lever action other than my BL-22, but am familiar with the popular brands of lever actions, Marlin, Henry, etc. Though I know the names, I can't say I know much about the quality of any of the brands, or maybe which rifle models to stay away from. I have looked at some rifles online and am familiar with the general prices. I'm not looking to break the bank on a birthday present, but would like to find a good quality rifle for him. I don't think he wants the brass receiver on the Henry, but he might like stainless and black or laminated.

I appreciate any advice you might have.

Thanks,

Dan

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer the Marlin but the Henry 45-70 is more readily available and the people who have them really seem to like them. 45-70 is a lot of fun!
I want that Derringer Bond Arms brought out in 45-70 but the $550 price tag has scared me off thus far

Last edited by moosemike; 06/20/23.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I too prefer the Marlin! A stainless, laminate stocked, big loop lever, Guide Gun is a thing of beauty! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I posted this in the Big Bore Lever forum, but I thought I might get a few more views here in the general rifle forum.

My 16 year old son has sort of been drifting away from hunting lately, but out of the blue the other day he tells me he'd like to have a lever action 45-70. I am thinking about buying him a 45-70 for his 17th birthday in a couple of weeks. I have never owned a lever action other than my BL-22, but am familiar with the popular brands of lever actions, Marlin, Henry, etc. Though I know the names, I can't say I know much about the quality of any of the brands, or maybe which rifle models to stay away from. I have looked at some rifles online and am familiar with the general prices. I'm not looking to break the bank on a birthday present, but would like to find a good quality rifle for him. I don't think he wants the brass receiver on the Henry, but he might like stainless and black or laminated.

I appreciate any advice you might have.

Thanks,

Dan
Henry 45-70 Steel with sidegate
H010G

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There aren't many flies on the older JM Marlins ( I just bought my first one in 45/70) and even the later production Remlins have a good reputation. I have had a few other JM Marlins in different calibers and have liked them all. A couple did have some well known issues but they were pretty much easily fixed. The early production Remlins, maybe not so much for a good reputation. The new Ruglins seem to be enjoying some good press also. A buddy of mine bought one of those and he is loving it. I can't say anything about the Henrys' because I have no experience with them but they never really appealed to me.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for the input.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Aside from mounting a scope if he desires the Miroku 1886s have it all over the Marlin and Henry offerings as far as quality goes.

The 1886 Extra Lite is the best of the bunch IMO. I’d consider the Short rifle next. I don’t care for the octagon barrel guns as I don’t like the weight and the Carbines are saddled with poor sights. My EL is equipped with a peep and a Sourdough front and it’s perfect to do anything I want to do with a 45/70.

I looked at a Pedersoli 1886 not long ago and it looks like a lot of gun for the money too.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/993294323

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
I dont have one, but a buddy does and seems to like it.
https://missouriguns.net/product/ch...5-70-govt-mpn-920-355-upc-8053670712058/

They quit making the take down version, can be found.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My 86 is in the classifieds. I’ll give ya a birthday deal since it’s for your boy if you’re interested.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Kid,

What are the problems with mounting a scope on the Miroku? The Short rifle you mention, is that made by Miroku too?

Johnn, thanks for the link to the Missouriguns rifle.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The 86 is a top eject so cannot have a conventionally mounted scope. I’ve put scout bases on them but I’m not a huge fan of the scout style scope.

I decided after using various 45/70s with every sight or scope combo imaginable that for what I want one for a peep is my preference. Keeps the rifle trim and easy to carry and is plenty good for the ranges I will use it at.

And yes the short rifle and all the other “modern” Winchester and Browning branded 1886 varieties are made by Miroku. They are very nicely fit and finished rifles.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by TheKid
Aside from mounting a scope if he desires the Miroku 1886s have it all over the Marlin and Henry offerings as far as quality goes.

Exactly

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Personally, if I was going to not scope it- I would go with the 1886 hands down, they’re just neat looking rifles. If I wanted to scope it, I would go with the Henry. They make some nice rifles and there are some spring kits out there that make their triggers heads and shoulders above the Marlins (or Winchesters)- but I’m a bit of a trigger snob, if that doesn’t matter to you or your boy, then the others may be the better choice.

Heal quickly and don't scar.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a Pedersoli 1886 Hunter Light and it is my favorite rifle. My JM Marlin barely gets taken out anymore. The Pedersoli is roughly the same configuration as the Miroku Extra Light in this thread but has a pistol grip pad with a pad. That configuration makes it very pleasant to shoot. Loads that rattle my teeth with the Marlin barely even raise an eyebrow with it. Oh, and it doesn’t have one of those stupid tang safeties and rebounding hammers either.

Last edited by JoeBob; 06/21/23.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
... should be some reasonably priced late period Remlins (2015 and later) 1895s around now that the new Ruger made 1895s are showing up on gun shop racks

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pricedo
... should be some reasonably priced late period Remlins (2015 and later) 1895s around now that the new Ruger made 1895s are showing up on gun shop racks
You would think but I have not seen Remlin prices drop. I just passed on an REP stamped 336 SS because the shop wanted $1K. It sold within a day

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E

The prices on levers of all brands around here is out of sight right now.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ElkSnort

Ain’t that the truth. All my “cheap” truck guns are too expensive to keep in a truck all the time now. First it was the Chinese SKS then it was the early post 64 Ted Williams Winchester 94 that someone would probably give me $800 dollars for it I wanted to sell it. lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by ElkSnort

Ain’t that the truth. All my “cheap” truck guns are too expensive to keep in a truck all the time now. First it was the Chinese SKS then it was the early post 64 Ted Williams Winchester 94 that someone would probably give me $800 dollars for it I wanted to sell it. lol
They'd give you at least $700. People get all excited over Ted Williams branded firearms now. I see it on Facebook. Somebody posts their Ted Williams and guys line up to ooh and ahh over it

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by moosemike
You would think but I have not seen Remlin prices drop. I just passed on an REP stamped 336 SS because the shop wanted $1K. It sold within a day

... I have a Remlin stainless 336SS in 30-30 that I upgraded with WWG trigger & ejector & steel follower ... won't part with it ... that thing will out-shoot most of my bolt actions for accuracy

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 308xray, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 25 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,457
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.