Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pre 64 22 Hornet

It also looks like the Mesa AZ Cabela's just got in some unusual specimens. Some of you may be interested? Some at fairly low prices. AK's probably already seen these.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Even though the originality is gone, seems like a good price on a cool M70 based custom….. and a Hornet at that! I figured you might go for the Sukalle custom Enfield .375 they have.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tmitch
Even though the originality is gone, seems like a good price on a cool M70 based custom….. and a Hornet at that! I figured you might go for the Sukalle custom Enfield .375 they have.

I'll have to check it out buddy. Didn't see that one. I'm always looking for a good m1917, but they are damn hard to find!!! I kind of like the stock on this 22 Hornet. Not going to buy it, but looks like this Mesa AZ store has quite a few rifles.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks like a great price on a really nice shooter given what Ruger M77/22’s are selling for.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I think some widow got buggered by Cabela’s.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I think you are right.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Someone got some deals. That Hornet was marked "sold" before I got up this morning, along with another M70 Hornet, a Griffin and Howe 7x57 and a couple others. They still show the Sukalle .375 though. It looks like most all the rifle they got from that estate were modified to some degree by the previous owner, but the prices are pretty reasonable. And yeah, they probably screwed his widow

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Hornet would be hard to walk away from.

Picked up a '54 270 with a Leupold 3-9 at Bass Pro/Cabelas in Vegas last week, they were reasonable and great to deal with. Made me wonder if they knew what they had.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Quick question....how many have had actual experience with Cabela's buying a collection/estate?

Forbidden Zoner
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don’t have first hand knowledge, my opinion would be it depends on the manager of the particular Cabelas/Bass Pro. Some I’ve dealt with are pretty knowledgeable and are collectors themselves while others are dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to classic or collectable firearms

Charter Member

szihn

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
The Hornet would be hard to walk away from.

Picked up a '54 270 with a Leupold 3-9 at Bass Pro/Cabelas in Vegas last week, they were reasonable and great to deal with. Made me wonder if they knew what they had.

That's been my experience with about 1/2 the Cabela's stores I've dealt with. A good example of that was a 1956 270 fwt wtih a gloss Leupold 2.5-8x36, that I bought last month:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tmitch
Someone got some deals. That Hornet was marked "sold" before I got up this morning, along with another M70 Hornet, a Griffin and Howe 7x57 and a couple others. They still show the Sukalle .375 though. It looks like most all the rifle they got from that estate were modified to some degree by the previous owner, but the prices are pretty reasonable. And yeah, they probably screwed his widow

Yeah, I saw where it looked like he installed his own recoil pads. He didn't care too much how they looked, I guess? Great candidates for Mcmillan stocks though. However, the custom wood stock on the Hornet looks pretty nice IMHO.

I like the looks of that 375. Work looks pretty good. A lot of custom features on that rifle. Too bad about the rear aperture sight. No front sight, so barrel has been cut down.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I think you are right.

Or the kids who had no interest in dads guns looking for a quick buck. For a long time a guy would bring 2-3 of his dads rifle at lgs and consign them. Must’ve sold all of them haven’t seen any pre-64 in the shop lately.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The seller always has the option of saying NO. A friend's son got a very god price from the local Cabela's for his father's collection.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I think you are right.

Or the kids who had no interest in dads guns looking for a quick buck. For a long time a guy would bring 2-3 of his dads rifle at lgs and consign them. Must’ve sold all of them haven’t seen any pre-64 in the shop lately.

Yes. However, what is on most minds is a widow that probably got $4-500.00 for each rifle after her husband died. She likely is ignorant as to how much they were worth, or maybe did not care? I remember my wife telling me she hoped I never died because she would not know how to get rid of them. Maybe others see rifles in a collection as a burden as well.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
simpsonltd has lots of Winchesters for sale right now

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I called on the 222. It was already gone. Thought it would have been good to use for the kids first deer rifle. If anyone here picked it up and gets bored of it let me know.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
On the Hornet in question...the previous owner would be surprised to hear that he's dead.

And the new owner is very much alive.

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by keystoneben
I called on the 222. It was already gone. Thought it would have been good to use for the kids first deer rifle. If anyone here picked it up and gets bored of it let me know.

I believe they also had a 243 from the same estate. That would make a dang good first rifle as well.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
On the Hornet in question...the previous owner would be surprised to hear that he's dead.

And the new owner is very much alive.

Yep. Never jump to conclusions....

Bass Pro/Cabelas don't have strict corporate-wide guidelines. Each store's used gun dept. seems to be managed on an individual basis - you'll find both shysters and honest Joes the same as anywhere else.

What did that Hornet sell for? I'm way late to the party (almost a week away from home chasing trout). While the stock is pretty it struck me as being a little off though, could be the pics.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 25aught6, 34 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,810
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.