Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Heading back to the states after 10 days of hunting Africa with my father in law, plus 5 days of photo safaris with my family. Somehow, during the photo safaris, my HG’s eye cup threads got bent, and now I can’t move the left eye piece in and out, which makes them useless if Im trying to use glasses. I’ve contacted Minox, and they will be going to their US repair facility, but based on their email, I’m not overly confident they will get them fixed. If not, I’m in the market for new 10x42/43 binos. Here’s the issue, after 10 days of using my HG’s, and stacking them against two separate pairs of 10x42 EL Ranges, Im not convinced the EL’s are really any better. My eyes couldn’t tell a difference when glassing Cape Buffalo at last shooting light, and our PH even mentioned he might like them more than his EL Ranges. So, spending $2300 on something that to my eyes doesn’t beat my HG’s that I got from Doug for $599 doesnt seem like a great investment. Is there any other glass that doesn’t break the bank that competes, or if they can’t fix my HG’s, should I just suck it up and jump to the NL’s?

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just returned from hunting RSA and had both my Minox HG 8.5 x 43 and my Swaro EL 8.5 x 42 with me. There are a number of things I like better about the HG's. Here's my take of the pro's/con's. This is for the 8.5's, but I would assume similar for the 10's.

The Swaro's have a terrible diopter adjustment design that uses the focusing knob. To adjust the diopter, you pull out the focus knob, make your adjustment and then reseat the knob. I've had a number of instances where I've raised the bino's to view and as I try to focus, I find the knob has gotten pulled out and I'm screwing the diopter adjustment. The HG diopter adjustment is a separate ring on one of the eye pieces and it securely locks with no risk of inadvertently being adjusted.

The eyecups of the HG's remain in position better than the Swaro's. The Swaro's seem to get knocked out of position easier.

The focusing knob on the HG's is much faster, allowing me to quickly establish focus when viewing,

I observed more "flare" with the Swaro's when I was viewing with the sun low in the sky (dawn/dusk).

The HG's are shorter and lighter.

The HG's have a threaded hole for a tripod adapter on the front of the hinge. I don't believe the Swaro's have one.

I can't see much difference in the optical clarity or color rendition.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Some people have vision that whether they use a pair of Vortex Crossfires or Swaro NLs- the image that they see is similar. Many people shout 10X or nothing. Others swear by 12X. I can tell you that if you hav a pair of 8X42NL Swarovskis and know how to use them that they will beat the Minox HG binoculars. Your eyes might like the Zeiss SF or the Leica Noctivids but the fullsize NLs are pretty freaking amazing.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Some people have vision that whether they use a pair of Vortex Crossfires or Swaro NLs- the image that they see is similar. Many people shout 10X or nothing. Others swear by 12X. I can tell you that if you hav a pair of 8X42NL Swarovskis and know how to use them that they will beat the Minox HG binoculars. Your eyes might like the Zeiss SF or the Leica Noctivids but the fullsize NLs are pretty freaking amazing.

I stacked the NL’s to the EL’s one time. I don’t want to spend the money on EL’s, but the NL’s were a step up, and the FOV was ridiculous.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Why would you buy another HG if they are not willing to fix what you have? I've had Swaros fall off my ATV at 40 mph and tumble down the road. Swarovski put brand new lenses all the way around for $100. It was 100% negligence on my part. My 15s fell over in the wind, chipped the objective lens. They replaced all the lenses for $200 and upgraded to their latest glass. I can't imagine using something else.
The NLs are great. But pricy.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Why would you buy another HG if they are not willing to fix what you have? I've had Swaros fall off my ATV at 40 mph and tumble down the road. Swarovski put brand new lenses all the way around for $100. It was 100% negligence on my part. My 15s fell over in the wind, chipped the objective lens. They replaced all the lenses for $200 and upgraded to their latest glass. I can't imagine using something else.

I noticed CameralandNY does not list Minox anymore.

Ted
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When I had to send my Minox in they had to go through Blazer US. They did get fixed but the communication was terrible. It took months to get them back.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I noticed CameralandNY does not list Minox anymore.
So Old Willys, did you ever by chance own a green Willys wagon with a home built roof rack?
And does Montours run ring any bells for you?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used SLC's.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I’ve owned Minox HG(8x43, Made in Germany model). Also, the APO HG 8x43. They were very nice! But, when I found a good deal on a NIB Swarovski 8x42 SLC HD I grabbed it quick.
The Minox went down the road.

To my eyes the Swaros are significantly better.

Leftybolt

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
minox service is TERRIBLE!

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Take a look at Meopta as well.

Comparing range finding binoculars to non range finding isn’t a fair comparison, especially if the EL’s were the older version.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where are you finding EL Range binos for $2300 bucks?

Don't over look Vortex's UHD binos. I just got 'em and have been looking back and forth between the UHD, SLC HD and EL, and am very impressed with the UHD.

That said, looking out my backyard isn't a real world test and I'll see how they compare between the 3 after a season with 'em looking for deer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MInox is great glass IME&O... but their coatings are not nearly as durable as the rest of the market. If you take care of them they last...

My service from them was very prompt and it was on an eyecup that got crushed from a drop onto a boat deck.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for all the responses. I have a range finder, so I need need the EL Range, I was just comparing them to my Minox because that’s the two Swaro’s we had available. So that’s where the $2300 (ish) for EL’s come from. If Minox can fix them, it’s a moot point. On another note, we’ve had a rough 3 weeks with my dad and he’s been diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia. He went into the hospital when I was in Africa, and it doesn’t look like he’s going to be able to come home. With him in a memory care center, his 8x32 EL’s become mine. Even though his EL’s are 8x32, I may be able to make those and the HG’s work.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1_deuce, 06hunter59, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,473
Posts18,529,410
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.