Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Back in 89 or so my wife gave me a win mod 70 in 375h&h for Christmas. I’ve used it to take moose, caribou, elk, a mulie, a whitetail and even killed a few woodchucks with in to prep for some of this trips.

I may take it for moose in Newfoundland in ‘24 as a backup for my nephew.

The first rounds I ever loaded was back when were original Barnes X bullets. I could never get them to fly as well as the Nosler part 260’s I’ve shot ever since.

I STILL can’t get the smears of copper out of that dang thing from those x’s all those years ago!

Just spent more than an hour with some old Montana extreme, then wire brush then patches. You can still see the smears of copper at the muzzle.

I love the modern x’s I think they are awesome bullets. Those old ones sure left their mark!

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
A little copper wash affects nothing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It can take a bit to remove but will come out, and then easily build up again. I rely on chemical removal - BoreTech Eliminator on many patches. My big bores copper foul badly.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went through this with a .338 Win. Mag. I even had a friend put it on an Outers Foul Out. I worked forever breaking it in. After 5 shots it still fouls.

I may be wrong, but this is my best advice: Clean it really good one time. Then shoot it forever and don't worry about it. If it gets wet in the rain, clean and oil the the bore with a patch.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've had good success with Sweets 7.62 copper solvant for removing all traces of copper prior to doing a Dyna-tek bore coat treatment. After Dyna-tek bore coat the few copper streaks that develop are inconsequential.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wipe Out

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Oh, don’t get me wrong, all those critters I’ve killed with it were AFTER the bore got “copper plated” courtesy of those old x’s.

Those 260’s still land right under the cross hairs at 200 and the point of the heavy duplex is my aim point for 300 and she’ll ring the gong every time.

I just irks me to see the copper gleaming up at me in the muzzle. I’ll get over it. (Maybe by killing a few whitetails in NC this fall and watching my nephew kill a moose with her next year!)

I’m really just venting.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
I've had good success with Sweets 7.62 copper solvant for removing all traces of copper prior to doing a Dyna-tek bore coat treatment. After Dyna-tek bore coat the few copper streaks that develop are inconsequential.

Sweets is all I have used for many years.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by EdM

The modern non-ammonia alternatives are just as good, and without the risk of etching the bore. I used to use Sweets for years too but switched a little while back.

Well?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There are three reasons to remove copper-fouling in rifle barrels:

1) It results in a significant difference in accuracy (larger groups). This can only be determined by totally eliminating copper fouling, then shooting comparative groups as more shots are fired without cleaning.

This may happen--but have also encountered quite a few barrels that grouped BETTER after more shots were fired. Have also encountered many that shot lousy after cleaning, but did far better after anywhere from 5-15 "fouling shots" fired.

2) If it results in bore corrosion due to moisture retention under the copper. This can be a problem in more humid climates.

3) It bugs you, due to being visible inside the muzzle. It may or may not occur further inside the bore.

You don't mention either of the first two. If the last one bugs you I would suggest Dyna-Bore Coat.

If you want far more details, I would suggest reading Chapter 10 in The Big Book of Gun Gack III, "Cleaning and Break-in of Barrels," available from www.riflesandrecipes.com.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM

The modern non-ammonia alternatives are just as good, and without the risk of etching the bore. I used to use Sweets for years too but switched a little while back.

I have never had an issue with Sweets so see no reason to change.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

I have never had an issue with Sweets so see no reason to change.

Fair enough, I never really had a problem with it either.

Well?
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for all the tips and advice guys, I appreciate it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dyna Bore Coat changed my Sako 338 copper mine immediately! She’s a sweet little pussycat now and cleanup is a snap. One thing to remember: After the Bore Coat treatment do not use a brush to clean the rifle! Use something like Wipe Out so you don’t inadvertently remove the Bore Coat.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Copper fouling is a over rated issue. THat is until all the copper solvents started coming out of the woodwork and now we can't POSSIBLY live without them. I use Wipeout smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by savage220
Back in 89 or so my wife gave me a win mod 70 in 375h&h for Christmas. I’ve used it to take moose, caribou, elk, a mulie, a whitetail and even killed a few woodchucks with in to prep for some of this trips.

I may take it for moose in Newfoundland in ‘24 as a backup for my nephew.

The first rounds I ever loaded was back when were original Barnes X bullets. I could never get them to fly as well as the Nosler part 260’s I’ve shot ever since.

I STILL can’t get the smears of copper out of that thing from those x’s all those years ago!

Just spent more than an hour with some old Montana extreme, then wire brush then patches. You can still see the smears of copper at the muzzle.

I love the modern x’s I think they are awesome bullets. Those old ones sure left their mark!

If you want to get all the copper out and start from scratch, JB will do the job for you.

Once it's out, you'll be better able to evaluate any copper wash that gets laid down. You may find that it copper washes with the bullets you're now using and that's what you're really seeing.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yep, if you're really peeved @ the streaks, JB, Iosso, or Flitz.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
If you want to get all the copper out and start from scratch, JB will do the job for you

Good shootin' -Al

Could you include JB’s shipping address? I’m gonna send him several. Knew he “retired” & I’m looking forward to loading John up on fouled rifles...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1
Yep, if you're really peeved @ the streaks, JB, Iosso, or Flitz.

Iosso is a bit more aggressive than JB, haven’t used Flitz. If using Iosso get one of their nylon brushes as it’s made to work with the bore cleaner and really breaks things up. After you get the copper out try using Lock Ease.
Been using it on a rifle that does foul, before last cleaning I looked at it with a Teslong and the fouling was there but pushed right out using wipe out accelerator and cleaner.
My only peave was that the Lock Ease left a stain in the bore where it never looked bright and shiny. Normal solvents CR10, Butch’s bore shine and Kroil wouldn’t remove it, solution was a little Lock Ease on a patch then push a clean patch through before the solvent dries. Presto bright shiny bore.

Last edited by Swifty52; 06/22/23.

Swifty
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Use a powder with a copper eraser like CFE 223 or Stabal 6.5 or IMR 4166. It really helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1badf350, 257 roberts, 16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,887
Posts18,497,893
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.