Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Just got a Safari Express rear sight. Noted that the 6-48 mounting screw is held under the dovetaill sight blade assembly. Here’s the sight for reference:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Seems the dovetail needs to be drifted out to get to the mounting screw in the dovetail. Before I start using a punch to drift it out I’d like to know a couple of things:

1) is the sight held in place just by the friction fit and will drift out from left to right?
2) is the threaded piece that the front sight adjustment screw fits into a separate removable wedge adjustment part? Does it need to be removed before drifting the dovetail blade component out?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That looks a bit different than what was on mine, looks like a NECG sight, but I believe you just loosen the hex (allen) headed screw that tightens the wedge and the dovetailed blade will move fairly easily.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Just tried that and used the Williams sight pusher on the dovetail. Came right out!

Incidentally found out in the process that the half moon nut the windage adjustment screw threads into is a separate piece which is easily removable once the dovetail sight blade base slides out.

Thanks.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 06/23/23. Reason: Added info

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by tmitch
That looks a bit different than what was on mine, looks like a NECG sight,…

The sight is manufactured by Recknagel and marked “ERA.” NECG is the US distributor for their products so it may be from NECG.

I’ve personally seen a Win M-70 458 Win Mag - looks like a Safari Express Classic CRF action & 24” bbl with DOM 1983 - with this exact rear sight. I know that rifle had reliability work done by a US GS but don’t know if the rear sight was factory or replaced.

I plan to install this RS on a Win M-70 Classic CRF now rebarrelled to 460 G&A.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
DOM would not be ‘83 - no crf in ‘83.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
AKW,

Thanks for the correction. SN is G17202X. What is the correct DOM?

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
‘97 ish

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,969 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,846
Posts18,478,321
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.