Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I prefer these over e-books, but I have a foot in both worlds.

I like to keep current, especially with new cartridges, powders or bullets. I was looking around for the latest Sierra manual - version 6. They cost about $100 cdn. But when you consider that this is almost 1400 pages, there is a lot of value.

I bought the latest Speer last year, but I think it was about $70. It does save a lot of work preparing new to me loads.

Are you still using books or have you converted to e-books?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Prefer books over e-books. Magazines as well. It is nice to be able to take reading material anywhere I want to.
Some of the magazines I subscribe to include a digital copy but I rarely open it up.
One magazine I wrote for went from hardcopy to entirely online and within a year it was gone.
Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I picked up Nosler #2 manual . I found some interesting stuff in it. They listed the factory velocities and the velocities they got in their test barrel. With the online data, I print it and put it in that cartridge binder in the front section. The back section has loading notes and shooting notes.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by troutfly
Prefer books over e-books. Magazines as well. It is nice to be able to take reading material anywhere I want to.
Some of the magazines I subscribe to include a digital copy but I rarely open it up.
One magazine I wrote for went from hardcopy to entirely online and within a year it was gone.
Jeff

Too true. Back when the CSSA started their magazine, I had a story published in it. I believe it was the last paper edition.

Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
I picked up Nosler #2 manual . I found some interesting stuff in it. They listed the factory velocities and the velocities they got in their test barrel. With the online data, I print it and put it in that cartridge binder in the front section. The back section has loading notes and shooting notes.

The reason I like paper books is I can take them anywhere and not worry about keeping a battery charged or having an Internet connection. That was in the days when phone chargers and the Internet were harder to find. That led to the second reason which was I didn't like the small screen size.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I mostly use e-data, but I do still buy a hard copy manual once in a blue moon. I just got the newest Lyman paperback not that long ago.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For reloading (or anything else): books, books, books!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
... must have two dozen reloading manuals from powder & bullet companies past & present

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by zcm82
I mostly use e-data, but I do still buy a hard copy manual once in a blue moon. I just got the newest Lyman paperback not that long ago.

Originally Posted by 5sdad
For reloading (or anything else): books, books, books!

I buy a new manual every other year, unless there is nothing new.

It’s hard to say what manuals are my favourites. I guess Speer and Sierra. Speer 15 changed their format and included more cartridge info. Sierra is still producing exceptional material. Lyman Cast stuff is great too.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I use books. In checking out the collection though, I found that my newest manual was printed in 1998. Since I'm still loading 4350 older than that, it is appropriate. GD

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I started with a speer manual and tried speer bullets. The speer manual came with my Rockchucker supreme loading kit. There's a wealth of knowledge in that book I started out with. Read the how to section a time or 3, since I learned to handload on my own with that book as my guide. I later found out I don't like speer bullets. I still have the book, but don't use it. I prefer Nosler, Barnes, Sierra, Hornady and just about any other bullet over speer. I have paper manuals for every bullet I load for, but I really like the fact that Nosler and Barnes offer free load data online. That is great, while others want you to pay for it online. I have the newest Sierra load manual and really like it. I also have the older versions of that manual and it's served me well. With new powders that have came out over the last 10 years or so, it's important that you have an updated source, because you could be missing out if you don't look at new data. I've seen some guys stuck on old powder, but what are you going to do when you can't find that old powder? Varget for instance: CFE223, TAC, and IMR8208XBR may be easier to find at times and a newer load manual or source may be needed for the newer powders. Just my take on paper vs. online data.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have many manuals Of ALL that I have I find myself relying on my Lyman manuals. Vintage to present day. WHY? Because Lyman has no stake in the testing of loads, because Lyman does NOT manufacture bullets OR powder.. I do NOT, nor EVER will go to a computer ebook.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I buy a new manual every other year, unless there is nothing new.

It’s hard to say what manuals are my favourites. I guess Speer and Sierra. Speer 15 changed their format and included more cartridge info. Sierra is still producing exceptional material. Lyman Cast stuff is great too.

One of the few hard copies I do own is a Lyman Cast book. I have both a newer (2021/22... somewhere in there) and an older Lee, since they stuff loads from a lot of different sources into one place.

Everything else is .pdf or online data for me. Western (well used to for them now that they're part of big H) and Alliant release full manuals in pdf free fairly often, so I have several revisions of both of those saved.

I use Hodgdon, Speer, Nosler, and Barnes online stuff a lot. As much as they charge for manuals, I'm actually surprised Speer and Nosler put as much data up online as they do.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think what we are seeing is an old way of doing business being pulled, kicking and screaming, into the modern age.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
… a few Winchester and Hercules paper pamphlet reloading manuals around and a big paperback Lyman manual

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
I do NOT, nor EVER will go to a computer ebook.

That's not a problem. We are lucky that we can use what we want. In the not too distant future, I can see companies abandoning paper as the world completely changes over to computers. We'll have to see how long that takes. And I don't expect that all the powder and bullet companies will change at the same time, so the process won't be quick.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I jumped in with both feet about 15 years ago. I now have a ratty old laptop right at the reloading bench. The only reason it's there is to access the Hodgdon data site.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
I have all the nosler manuals why? Unlike others they tell you what gave the best accuracy with the highest velocity . That starts me out saving money and time for the best performing loads..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
… also have a big thick paperback (soft cover) manual called Ken Waters Pet Loads … lots of good loads in that book

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have all of Ken Waters stuff because federal made the brass and my friend who was a manager at Federal Jonny Bell gave his stuff including some very old loading manuals i did just look at a Lyman reloading book a paper back from 1965 i like looking thru them . sure shows some great old cartridges that no manufacture makes anymore like 22 Hi-Power ,222 Rem. mags and so on and my favorite that will soon be on the list as a obsolete cartridge 257 Roberts . these old reloading manuals are sure fun to look thru ! Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
... the old manuals are good for legacy powders ... if they were stored correctly they should be OK ... friend of mine found a coupla full and unopened containers of Win 785 ball powder when he was cleaning out his reloading den cupboards ... he borrowed the Ken Waters manual to find some loads for it

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 21, 1234, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,402
Posts18,527,940
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.