Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have always taken my vehicles (And most recently my 2021 F150) to the dealership for oil changes. Good bad or indifferent, never had any issues other than having to say no to a new cabin and new air filter every single time.

But I am over due now for a change and the dealer is somehow booked out another month for Oil Change services. Thinking of just going to like a Jiffy Lube, or Einstiens pull in, to get it done. Anyone ever ran into an issues taking it to a non dealer chain shop?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The fast oil change places have put a lot of money in my pocket over the years. Don't you have any good independent repair shops in your area?

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I am sure there are (900k people in the Treasure Valley now)...guess I just need to do some research, call around.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
No car I own will ever drive into in a fast oil change place. If I can't see what kind of filter they are using or oil along with care taken I want no part of it. I do my own oil changes , I trust myself . My wife's car gets done by the dealer and for some reason they do an excellent job and I follow up after every oil change they do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only fast lube place I have been to is Valvoline.

My last place of employment used them on all light vehicles. I was in 4 different stores and all of the employees actually seemed to know what they were doing

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
No car I own will ever drive into in a fast oil change place. If I can't see what kind of filter they are using or oil along with care taken I want no part of it. I do my own oil changes , I trust myself . My wife's car gets done by the dealer and for some reason they do an excellent job and I follow up after every oil change they do.

Some guys wear suits and don't like to get their hands dirty.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I take my Porsche and Audi to a place called Bavarian Auto Repairs. Excellent work and fairly priced. I change the oil on my Tundra, Mach 1 and Dart. Here in Idaho I take my F150 and Suburban to Walmart every two years. I specify the filter and oil. I just had both done, same old guy that has been there for years. Never an issue.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I quit using the fast change type shops a long time ago, too many screwups: wrong grade oil, too much oil, not having right wrench for oil drain plug, not having correct filter in stock...

Had them try and charge me for 7 quarts of oil one time in a truck with 6 qt capacity. Manager went back and pulled dip stick - overfilled. Drain and repeat. They aren't so quick when you have to make them fix the screwups.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by MikeL2
I quit using the fast change type shops a long time ago, too many screwups: wrong grade oil, too much oil, not having right wrench for oil drain plug, not having correct filter in stock...

Had them try and charge me for 7 quarts of oil one time in a truck with 6 qt capacity. Manager went back and pulled dip stick - overfilled. Drain and repeat. They aren't so quick when you have to make them fix the screwups.

What fast change type shop was this?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Jiffy Lube and others use the 'one size fits all' wrench

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by badger
The fast oil change places have put a lot of money in my pocket over the years. Don't you have any good independent repair shops in your area?

I don't doubt that. I usually do my own trucks, but the cars are a pain because of the low ride height. There is a pretty large place here called Rocket Lube that seems to have some well-trained guys. They do my wife and daughter's cars. My wife did me a favor a while back and took in my F150 to save me some time. When I changed that oil the next time, it took 30 minutes just to get the filter off with oil filter pliers. It was like they had snugged it with a breaker bar. No thanks.....

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had Jiffy Lube forget to put the oil cap back on.I see some of them use a pump to pull out the oil thru the dip stick tube.How much sludge is left inthe pan that way?

I prefer to change my own and let it drain for a half hour or so.

My Duramax gets free oil change as part of the extended warranty.The shop manager bitches about that as I get a a 3 gallon oil change and they get a warranty payment for a $79, 6 quart change

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/30/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've forgotten the Brand/Franchise names, they were shops when I was in Huntsville AL and Alexandria/Franconia VA in the mid to late 90s.

Last edited by MikeL2; 06/30/23.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We pretty much do whatever needs doing around here. Can't imagine paying someone to change the oil in our vehicles or vessels.

Life is good live it while you can.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The fast lube joints are good at stripping the drain plug

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TBREW401

I had that from a car dealer at 5k. I am surprised the oil pan did not drain out. If the filter is facing downward I fill it with oil before screwing it on, I doubt a dealer or fast lube does that. Oh and I also clean up around everything when done.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by TBREW401

How many have they stripped of yours?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
mark your filter before you take it in and check the mark when you get the vehicle back!!!

my brother caught them leaving the same filter on.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I went to Valvoline for oil changes for maybe five years. Never had any issues.

NRA Patron
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I will usually do all my vehicles, except every year or two one of them comes due on a wet rainy/slushly week in the winter then I may take it in have it done rather then lay in the slush. ( boats pretty much fill my garage in the winter). I drive a company car and have to go to a commercial place for that one. I mostly use Valvoline when i do need to take the car in. No real complaints, its just that by doing it myself, I can change into Mobil one with a Wix filter for less than they would charge for the standard valvoline stuff. When you count the 30 minutes of driving/the wait, I can do all three of my cars in the driveway faster than they do one.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.