Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
He also had the smarts to tell other officers to watch their fire because he was closing in. I thought that was some good thinking there. Other than that, I know nothing to make a comment.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How is the cop a hero? He signed on to do what he did. A hero is a citizen who faces danger he is not trained for.

Nevertheless, I am happy he did his job.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My mindset was he would have had the car to use as a shield and he could have got there faster and not been winded during a shootout.

The shooter was obviously outside, roll the windows down AR-15 hanging out the window and go. But maybe he's trained to not do that for some reason and spur of the moment decisions and all of that.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In addition to what Sagebrush said; there is another tactical downside to remaining in your vehicle and driving closer to the suspect:

You have added another task to your activity. You have to drive the car safely. You have a parking lot full of moving vehicles and citizens on foot who are going to behave erractically. You are trying to visually locate a suspect while driving with other vehicles and people moving around you and the risk of hitting someone or something is great considering you likely have a hyper focus on locating a suspect. There is a difference between observing things as you driving down the street to a scene and driving while at a chaotic scene.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
How is the cop a hero? He signed on to do what he did. A hero is a citizen who faces danger he is not trained for.

That applies to the military also, correct?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
In addition to what Sagebrush said; there is another tactical downside to remaining in your vehicle and driving closer to the suspect:

You have added another task to your activity. You have to drive the car safely. You have a parking lot full of moving vehicles and citizens on foot who are going to behave erractically. You are trying to visually locate a suspect while driving with other vehicles and people moving around you and the risk of hitting someone or something is great considering you likely have a hyper focus on locating a suspect. There is a difference between observing things as you driving down the street to a scene and driving while at a chaotic scene.

I do tend to forget that many 'citizens' have no idea what's going on around them.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He did good. He had to respond immediately based on his assessment of the situation. Maybe when he got done he was thinking I could have drove the car. Whatever, he did good in my book.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by ol_mike
My mindset was he would have had the car to use as a shield and he could have got there faster and not been winded during a shootout.

The shooter was obviously outside, roll the windows down AR-15 hanging out the window and go. But maybe he's trained to not do that for some reason and spur of the moment decisions and all of that.

Unless you are issued a crystal ball, you don't know where someone is "obviously" going to be in 5 minutes, 3 minutes or 10 seconds from now.

The shooter could be in the food court area of the mall, hosing down people. He could have taken hostages, he could have been engaged by a citizen, or a different officer, and been forced to retreat or change any number of directions. A single minute is a very long time in an active shooting, and someone can travel a long way on foot through buildings.

Very little on a car is cover BTW. Sitting in the driver's seat of a typical vehicle, you have almost zero protection. Only the pillars that form the frame are going to offer any sort of protection that may deflect a round (maybe). The car doors will not stop even a pistol round, let alone a rifle round. Rifle rounds will go through car doors like butter. Auto glass is not too much better. The punchline is that in spite of what many think, cars are not good cover at all.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice job. Finding the source of shots isnt always easy. Running towards them obviously put him at risk but he didnt hesitate. Then making good shots at a distance.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He performed professionally and heroically, averted further tragedy while coordinating assets on the move. He should be lauded for his efforts.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
A question was asked why didn't he drive.

When shots are fired in an urban environment, it is extremely difficult to tell where they are coming from. If you are sitting inside a vehicle. that makes it darn near impossible. Sitting inside a car is also a very dangerous and vulnerable place to be. Your vision is limited, your ability to hear is limited, and anyone with bad intent can recognize you/your vehicle coming. Getting out on and moving towards an objective on foot, and maintaining the elements of surprise as well as cover/concealment are generally a good idea if the situation allows.

Yes, the officer was winded.

There are multiple factors involved here. Generally speaking it is not the distance that causes this. More often than not it is an emotional, as well as physiological response. Your body gets a massive dump of adrenaline. If this is your first gunfight you will start breathing much faster than normal. On that note, pay attention in future shooting videos to how hard people/officers are breathing. It is their bodies way of coping with the stress of the situation.

This officer was also no doubt wearing a protective, bullet resistant vest, which restricts his chest to a degree. They are difficult to run in for long distances. Based on the way he was speaking, this was a highly emotional event for him. The fact is that he did not hesitate. He ran quickly and did what he could to the very best of his abilities.

No incident is ever perfect. That said, the fact of the matter is that this man did all that could be asked of one man. He ran straight towards what could have been his own death. He did his best to communicate his actions to others. He engaged the shooter, and stopped the threat. Overall I would say the man deserves nothing but praise.

Screw sports stars with their names on shirts like Lebron James. This Officer should have his own jersey and local kids should look up to him.

It would suck to be seen first pulling up in a squad car. Pretty easy target.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He did a great job. His decision to leave his car and go on foot was a good one in my opinion. He didnt know where the shooter was and there was too much chance of getting into a traffic jam or worse running over people fleeing the shooter.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J

Your first question was answered by your own statement.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hero is a word thrown around way too much these days. Officer did a great job doing what officers are paid to do. Kudos to him!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn
He left his squad car to run what looked like a half mile or so. Why not drive?

Yeah - makes no sense at all.

He tuckered out pretty quick too.

Thank God we have cops to respond to these situations, I wouldn’t want ol_mike training any cops that I would want to depend on.

Funny how the people with the least experience seem to have the most knowledge…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
He did a good job. Engaged and took down while stressed and breathing hard. A little cardio wouldn't hurt though.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Found out the other day that my nephew and his family (wife and two kids under 10) pulled up to that mall within minutes of it happening. People were still running away screaming and no law enforcement was on the scene yet except the cop who did the shooting. A few minutes earlier and it could have been them.

He they knew immediately what it was and got out of there. Of course, they got caught in the traffic of everyone else doing the same and sat in the parking lot for half an hour before they could get completely out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IIRC, wasn't this the shooting that some (Lots) of media was saying the police response time was over 10 minutes?

Guess that wasn't the case, huh?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by PPosey
He did a good job. Engaged and took down while stressed and breathing hard. A little cardio wouldn't hurt though.

His heart rate up and breathing hard has nothing to do with needing to do cardio. It is a physiological response to stress that happens naturally to the body during highly emotional/potentially traumatizing events.

His hands were likely shaking too, but you can bet he wasn't cold.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by PPosey

His heart rate up and breathing hard has nothing to do with needing to do cardio. It is a physiological response to stress that happens naturally to the body during highly emotional/potentially traumatizing events.

His hands were likely shaking too, but you can bet he wasn't cold.

Haha!
Yep.

I am MAGA.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,494,958
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.